Is it possible to turn on variable refresh rate with the HDMI override setting on?

Discus and support Is it possible to turn on variable refresh rate with the HDMI override setting on? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Whenever I turn my Xbox’s HDMI override setting on, the option to turn on variable refresh rate is greyed out. Is there anyway to turn on variable... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Sam Lay, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Sam Lay
    Sam Lay Guest

Is it possible to turn on variable refresh rate with the HDMI override setting on?

Whenever I turn my Xbox’s HDMI override setting on, the option to turn on variable refresh rate is greyed out. Is there anyway to turn on variable refresh rate, with the HDMI override setting on? Or is it simply not possible?

:)

Sam Lay, Apr 12, 2024
  2. Jayfig Win User

Vizio hdr10 issues

Had this problem contacted vizio and I had to uncheck the allow variable refresh rate in tv&display options on the Xbox one x and also had to turn off variable refresh rate in the pro gaming engine in the advanced picture settings.
  3. CarTzy Win User

Why is my variable refresh rate greyed out on my Xbox Series X?

Hello Mitchell_244,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I can see that you are having trouble with the variable refresh rate option on your Xbox Series X. I understand that you have a Sceptre monitor (E275B-QPN168) that supports 1440p resolution and 120 hz refresh rate, and that you have checked the video settings and the HDMI port on your console and monitor.

There are a few possible reasons why the variable refresh rate option might be greyed out on your Xbox Series X. One of them is that your monitor might not support variable refresh rate over HDMI 2.0, which is the standard that the Xbox Series X uses. According to the Sceptre website, your monitor supports FreeSync Premium over DisplayPort 1.4, but it does not specify if it supports it over HDMI 2.0 as well. You can try contacting Sceptre customer service to confirm this information.

Another possible reason is that your monitor might have a firmware issue that prevents it from enabling variable refresh rate with the Xbox Series X. Some users have reported that updating the firmware of their monitors solved this problem. You can check if there is a firmware update available for your monitor on the Sceptre website or by contacting Sceptre customer service.

You reach out to them here: Support - Contact Us. (sceptre.com)

A third possible reason is that your HDMI cable might not be compatible with variable refresh rate. You need to use a high-speed HDMI cable that supports HDMI 2.0 or higher to enable this feature on your Xbox Series X. You can try using a different HDMI cable or testing your cable on another device that supports variable refresh rate.

We're looking forward to hearing from you. If there are any inquiries about our description or if there are any misconceptions, do reply to the post.
  4. [ A J ] Win User

Xbox Series X Stuttering and fps issues

Hi, Maxcourt. Thank you for your reply.

- Is your console enrolled in the Xbox Insiders program?

- Have you tried lowering your refresh rate and turning off the variable refresh rate setting to see if that makes any difference?
  5. BubbaT1 Win User

Series S Flickering 120FPS

Variable Refresh Rate was enabled however disabling it causes the flickering to stop. I notice other people reporting the same issues.

I purchased an upgraded HDMI 2.1 cable capable of 8k and 4k 120fps it did not solve the issue. Disabling variable refresh rate solves the issue.

So this has to be some kind of software compatibility problem. For now I just disabled Variable Refresh Rate on the console and disabled Adaptive/Free Sync on the monitor until hopefully Xbox does an update in the future.
  6. Matt_Aus Win User

Monitor with 120hz and VRR

I'm not too sure if the monitor supports it specifically with Xbox, but it does in general support it.

I'll look for a list of supported monitors but my previous search didn't show anything about 120hz with freesync over HDMI.

I think the issue is the Xbox isnt showing the refresh rate option until I change the override to HDMI and as soon as I do that the VRR setting is disabled whether I set the refresh rate to 60hz or 120hz.
Thema:

1. Is it possible to turn on variable refresh rate with the HDMI override setting on? - Similar Threads - possible turn variable

2. Is there any possible way at all to use a usb mic on a series S?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there any possible way at all to use a usb mic on a series S?: Recently bought a Razer Blackshark v2 X usb mic for my Xbox. Didn’t realise it was usb until after I had bought it. I was wondering if there is any possibility at all that I can use it with my...
  3. Is it possible to get a refund?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is it possible to get a refund?: I gifted my friend a game without paying attention to the fact that it was only available for Xbox series s/x. So not only can't they play but they already redeemed the code. Is there no other way...
  4. Is it possible to get my home xbox switch back?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it possible to get my home xbox switch back?: i accidentally used my last switch when my friend tried switching my xbox to his home. now i have no more switches and cannot play any of the games i previously could, could i possibly get a...
  5. How do I add a shortcut for Microsoft rewards on the Xbox? Single button press possible?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I add a shortcut for Microsoft rewards on the Xbox? Single button press possible?: How do I add a shortcut to the Microsoft Rewards screen/hub on the Xbox? I find the current process to go to the new Rewards hub in the profile too cumbersome resulting in too many button...
  6. Is it possible to make a xbox partition of an external drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it possible to make a xbox partition of an external drive: I have a 2TB external drive that I use on my xbox. I want to have roughly 500GB of it partitioned so that I can use it on my Windows PC(NTFS) and the rest partitioned so I can use it on my xbox...
  7. pls add possibility to rate games

in XboX Insiders
    pls add possibility to rate games: So many times i am alway wanna watch for opinons of other players or just wanna rate a game i had fun with but theres still nothing to do that :c submitted by /u/HikingVikingStriking [link]...
  8. Is it possible to disable the automatic power on of my XSX when i turn on my xbox wireless...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it possible to disable the automatic power on of my XSX when i turn on my xbox wireless...: I have a Xbox wireless headset, and when I power on it my Xbox also turn on, even if i'm using the headset in bluetooth. Is there is any option to disabled that ?...
  9. Is it possible to bring an option to turn on and off smart delivery so that I can choose...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Is it possible to bring an option to turn on and off smart delivery so that I can choose...: I’ve had a lot of trouble with games ever since buying an Xbox series X and am unable to afford the 2TB expansion card and wouldn’t mind turning of smart delivery so that I can still play my games...
  10. Hi there, as a father of a boy who is a fan of FH5. Is it possible to turn back to the...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hi there, as a father of a boy who is a fan of FH5. Is it possible to turn back to the...: Hi there, I'm a little bit older to ask this question but askin the question as a father of a fan of FH5. My son played this game over 300 hrs time and recently 2 days ago when he wanted to show...