Is game data saved to external drive when moving games?

Discus and support Is game data saved to external drive when moving games? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I just bought a 5 TB Seagate game drive for Xbox. I was surprised to find that it only stores games, and you have to move them to the Xbox 'S' in order... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by zBernie, Jan 8, 2024.

1. zBernie
    zBernie Guest

I just bought a 5 TB Seagate game drive for Xbox. I was surprised to find that it only stores games, and you have to move them to the Xbox 'S' in order to play them.

My question is, if you play a game on the Xbox, them move it to the external 5TB drive, does the save game data like your progress also get saved? For example if you played Minecraft, built a world, then moved the game to the 5TB external drive, would that world be saved as well?

:)

zBernie, Jan 8, 2024
  2. Hoskayra Win User

Hello ZBernie, my name is Oskayra, and I will be happy to help you.

Beforehand, it is important that you keep in mind that this is a public community forum, so we are players like you, we are not employees of Microsoft or Xbox, so we do not have access to any user account or check anything from the forum. All users help each other with common problems.

To clarify your doubt, you should know that the downloadable content is saved on the external drive but to synchronize your progress and saved games with the unit you must stay connected to the Xbox network, this way the progress will be saved safely in the cloud and you will be able to access he.

Information Source (Credits): https://support.xbox.com/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/cloud-game-saves-faq

Thank you for your patience, I hope everything can be resolved. I will be attentive to your response. Blessings.

Sincerely,
    Oskayra.
  3. FearedNightmare Win User

Save Data Location

Hello

Save data for the Xbox One is actually saved on both the harddrive and the cloud, if you move all your content to an external drive it should be moved to that drive as well but the cloud data stays where it is.

If however you should lose your local save data, the next time you boot up the game it will ask you to upload local data or download your save from the cloud. When you click download you will have a copy as local data again as well as cloud based.

More info on cloud saved:
    support.xbox.com/.../cloud-game-saves-faq
  4. ChickenTitan Win User

Loading games off external Hard drive doesn't work (Xbox One)

The drive is not that old and I have only had two games on it from when I got it. The data on it is ok because when I move the game from the external to internal it works fine. So the data's not getting corrupted. The games only don't work when played
    off the external drive.
  5. BCE Grimm Win User

Move Save Games from Internal HDD to External Storage

Will copying the game from the internal to external move the save games as well as the installed game? When I try to manage the game it just shows the installed game and not the save data.
  6. matthewiag Win User

xBox One: Copy Saved Gameplay Data to my External Drive?

Hello

I am sorry it is not possible to move save data over to an External Drive.

If your playing while your connected to the internet your save is automatically backed up to the cloud when you close the game down.

If your were not online it will re-sync when you reconnect.
Thema:

1. Is game data saved to external drive when moving games? - Similar Threads - game data saved

2. Cloud saved game data storage full. Can’t play DLC’s

in XBoX Accessibility
    Cloud saved game data storage full. Can’t play DLC’s: I have the DLC’s for Left 4 dead purchased and have for a long time and they used to work. My cloud saved data now says that its full and when it prompts me to click when I’m trying to load Left 4...
  3. How do I transfer game save data from one Xbox profile to another Xbox profile?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I transfer game save data from one Xbox profile to another Xbox profile?: I made a new account because have been using my dads Microsoft account, and I can't figure out how to transfer my data. aa01aabb-9203-4ff0-a160-c0742a4fbc6b
  4. Ive been getting the we cant save more data for this game or app error and i cant find a...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Ive been getting the we cant save more data for this game or app error and i cant find a...: Ive been getting the error every time ive tried to load up baldurs gate 3 and nothing is working to fix it 0713df8e-1234-4c7c-a8e0-027a95346947
  5. I keep getting we can't save more data for this game or app. What do I do

in XBoX on Consoles
    I keep getting we can't save more data for this game or app. What do I do: So I load up fall out 4 and this message come up. But I have more than enough storage and two storage drives. I tried taking out the storage drives but it still says it....
  6. Xbox one keeps saying can’t save anymore data for this game or app I

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox one keeps saying can’t save anymore data for this game or app I: I’ve tried clearing cache and it keeps doing it 60fdc5a0-d069-4d5f-a5e3-6520e43d0320
  7. Lost saved game data - RDR2 (Xbox One Series S)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Lost saved game data - RDR2 (Xbox One Series S): During Summer holidays here down in Australia I decided I'd get back to playing Red Dead Redemption 2. I'd already completed the story once. Around a year ago I decided I'd try and do all the...
  8. How do I get back my saved game data for Forza horizon 4 PC?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I get back my saved game data for Forza horizon 4 PC?: Hello, I have recently bought a new PC and installed WIN 11. On my previous PC I had WIN10. So I signed into windows store to get fresh new installation of FH4. I installed every DLC and started...
  9. Lost all of my game progression due to a data save being full

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Lost all of my game progression due to a data save being full: While trying to get onto baldurs gate 3 I got a message saying the data save was full and I need to delete some data I reset my console thinking it would fix it instead when I booted it back up I...
  10. Resuming saved game data Xbox one version to Xbox x version

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Resuming saved game data Xbox one version to Xbox x version: Say I was playing the XBox One disc version of a game I borrowed from a friend and have saved data from hours of playing. I have since given back the game disc to my friend and recently bought the...