installing games/apps to a secondary drive stop working after a few restarts. Will this...

Discus and support installing games/apps to a secondary drive stop working after a few restarts. Will this... in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; so if you install games or apps to any drive other than C after a few restarts you will get this message when you try to launch a game "this app... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by DavidBarth, May 31, 2020.

1. DavidBarth
    DavidBarth Guest

installing games/apps to a secondary drive stop working after a few restarts. Will this...

so if you install games or apps to any drive other than C after a few restarts you will get this message when you try to launch a game

"this app cannot be opened because the storage drive may be offline or disconnected"

I've submitted tickets but I never get a response. This is a known issue that has been gong on for 6+ months and I wonder if it will ever be fixed?

:)

DavidBarth, May 31, 2020
  2. Chudamaru Win User

Uninstalled game and it did not free up space.

Unfortunately the Windows Game Pass app hides where it installs the games since you don't technically own them and they want to stop people from pirating.

Are you installing to C or a secondary drive?
  3. GreenJeans1 Win User

Xbox One Installation Stopped External Hard Drive

None of the above solve the issue. Games currently Installed on the external drive work. Unless they need an update. They can not be updated. New games can not be installed to external drives in the xpack enclosure. Apps seem install with no issue. Games
    can not be migrated to or from the external drive as well. Apps migrate with no issue. The issue seems to be related to the xpack external enclosure. It seems to have stopped working after the Feb update. Prior to this games installed updated and transfered
    with no issues using the xpack enclosure.
  4. Echo4Ent Win User

Can't move or install Forza Horizon 4 to my SSD

There is an article here that talks about installing Windows Store Apps onto secondary drives. Try the steps here, and let us know if
    they work for you!
  5. amras87 Win User

Cannot install games on D drive says it is not formated to NTFS.

Unfortunately none of the proposed workarounds have helped after multiple repairs and restarts and fiddling with the settings. Infuriating.
    Did you try this? Set whatever drive you want as default in Xbox App, disable in xbox app settings option to allow program pick drive before each installation. And then download game you want in Microsoft Store, not Xbox app. Must click this 3 dots next
    to install button, and then choose "install on my device" or something like that and pick your PC. It worked for me and few other people.
  6. Vesves4 Win User

Cannot install games on D drive says it is not formated to NTFS.

Unfortunately none of the proposed workarounds have helped after multiple repairs and restarts and fiddling with the settings. Infuriating.
    Did you try this? Set whatever drive you want as default in Xbox App, disable in xbox app settings option to allow program pick drive before each installation. And then download game you want in Microsoft Store, not Xbox app. Must click this 3 dots next
    to install button, and then choose "install on my device" or something like that and pick your PC. It worked for me and few other people.

It didn't, but what DID work for me was just installing the game on my C: drive then finding it in Windows storage settings and moving it over to the E: drive. No issues with it showing up as playable or running it in the Xbox App. This is probably the most
    foolproof method for this issue. It bypasses the bug in the app completely, as long as you have space for the initial install on another drive.
Thema:

1. installing games/apps to a secondary drive stop working after a few restarts. Will this... - Similar Threads - installing games apps

2. xbox app partial game install on pc.cant find it or delete it

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox app partial game install on pc.cant find it or delete it: as the question says.need to remove it 226b4b41-8d70-4888-94e3-8a8358256ccf
  3. Xbox App refuses to install game on PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox App refuses to install game on PC: Hello, I am on a windows 10 PC attempting to install the game "State of Decay 2". All my efforts have failed. It merely states it is unable to connect me to the service and returns the error code...
  4. i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates

in XboX Insiders
    i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates: i tried almost everything, heres the list of all i tried three factory resets change dns use phone hotspot offline factory reset with pendrive use another acc to install restart my router...
  5. i can install games but it cant install apps

in XBoX on Windows
    i can install games but it cant install apps: So, basically i cant install apps, when i try to install games like minecraft / fortnite (or another random game) it installs perfectly, but when i try to install any app like youtube / prime...
  6. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  7. Xbox App for PC installed games have disappeared / HELP Needed

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox App for PC installed games have disappeared / HELP Needed: Hi so games that i have bought previously i have installed them on my PC using the Xbox App for PC, but as of late whenever i open the Xbox App it is only showing 1 game installed and ready to...
  8. How do i delete a game that says it isn't installed on the Xbox app?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do i delete a game that says it isn't installed on the Xbox app?: I recently downloaded ARK: Survival Evolved last night and this morning i woke up to it not being installed. It had started to download again so Cancelled the install and now its saying that i do...
  9. The Non-Dismissible Notification in Game Bar That Appears When Xbox App Is Not Installed on...

in XboX Insiders
    The Non-Dismissible Notification in Game Bar That Appears When Xbox App Is Not Installed on...: Social widget displays a message reads "Install the Xbox app to get the latest widget updates" at the top of friends list, taking up a considerable amount of the already tight space. The situation...
  10. Xbox App says i have Insufficient storage when installing a game even though i havemore...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App says i have Insufficient storage when installing a game even though i havemore...: I've just been trying to install Quantum Break from the Xbox pc app with game pass and for some reason it keeps putting an error saying i need to free space even though i have more than enough...