Installation stopped when transferring between external hard drives

Discus and support Installation stopped when transferring between external hard drives in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I have an Xbox 1x with 2 external hard drives. One has been acting up (would freeze the USB bus at times that was unrecoverable unless I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Stephen Cooke1, Sep 13, 2023.

1. Installation stopped when transferring between external hard drives

Hi,

I have an Xbox 1x with 2 external hard drives. One has been acting up (would freeze the USB bus at times that was unrecoverable unless I physically unplugged that drive & plugged it back in) so I bought another and want to transfer all 180+ games to the new, much larger drive. 150 of the 180+ games transferred to the new drive without much issue. The last 29 games will not transfer no matter what I do. So far I have:

- performed soft & hard resets on the console

- unplugged & re-plugged the drives

- cleared the queue and re-initiated the move command

- unplugged one of the older drives and tried the transfer with only the 2 drives (old & new) connected

- powered down & unplugged the console

- changed the 'power off external storage when Xbox shuts down' to off - as the external drives have their own power supplies

There are no error codes that I can see. The only indication that the transfer has failed is that the game is not on the new drive and the queue says Installation stopped. Whenever I have tried the above, I hit the restart all button in the queue and the Xbox goes through all of the 29 games, setting their status to Queued, then Installation stopped.

:)

Stephen Cooke1, Sep 13, 2023
  2. Glenn Rue Win User

Thanks for the update, Stephen.

Glad to know that everything is working now. We appreciate your efforts in finding a solution to this issue. At Microsoft, we greatly value our customers' initiative and resourcefulness.

To help other customers searching for help on related issues, please mark the response you found most helpful by clicking “Yes” on the bottom of that post. This will ensure the helpful responses are most visible when searching (and you can vote more than once if the solution was spread over multiple posts).

If you need help with other Microsoft products in the future, feel free to start a new thread here in the community. It's always our goal to help you get the most out of said products. Refer to the link and photo below on how to create a new thread.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/newthread?threadtype=Questions&cancelurl=%2Fen-us%2F

[​IMG]

Thanks again for choosing Microsoft! We’re here when you need us.

Respectfully,

Glenn
  3. Stephen Cooke1 Win User

Thanks for getting back to me! No joy with any of your suggestions. My only option was to uninstall on old drive/reinstall to the new drive. Thankfully we have an unlimited Internet connection!

Cheers!
  4. vadyks Win User

I found myself in the same situation,

and I noticed that only games that I don’t own digitally won’t transfer, so i had to insert the disc for each game.
  5. Glenn Rue Win User

Good evening, Stephen.

Thanks for reaching out to our Microsoft Community Forum. Please accept our warmest regards and sincerest hope that all is well.

We understand that you're having trouble transferring your Xbox games to the new external hard drive.

So based on the detailed description you have provided above please try the following steps at this point to resolve this issue:

1. Try transferring the games one at a time instead of all at once. This may help identify if there's a specific game causing the issue.

2. Check the storage space on the new external hard drive. Make sure there's enough space to accommodate all the games you're trying to transfer. On that note make sure it's used exclusively for the games and not as storage space for back-ups of your other devices.

3. Try a different USB port on and see if that helps.

If the issue still persists, it might be time to contact Xbox Support using the link below for more advance help.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us

Thanks again for choosing Microsoft! We’re here when you need us.

Sincerely,

Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  6. callumewingewing Win User

Formatting a Seagate external hard drive

The external hard drive was around 20% full. After the I formatted the external hard drive it went down to 0% as everything was uninstalled. Thing is i tried transfering Battlefield 1 from the internal hard drive to the now empty external hard drive and
    it started transferring. Battlefield 1 was one of the games that just stopped installing/transferring when i wanted to move from the internal to the external hard drive so i might of fixed the problem. Now i am just concerned that the games that were uninstalled
    will not have anyting saved and i will have lost everything.
Thema:

1. Installation stopped when transferring between external hard drives - Similar Threads - Installation stopped transferring

2. “Installation Stopped” Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    “Installation Stopped” Xbox Series X: Bought a xbox series x last weekend, downloaded some games succesfully with no issue, finally a tried downloading WRC 10 and keeps stopping at exactly 9.66 GB, tried everything on the internet,...
  3. How can i fix this installation stopped loop?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How can i fix this installation stopped loop?: I tried playing call of duty and when i tried to launch the game there would be an error that says “there was a problem launching this game or app” and i would then uninstall then reinstall the...
  4. Why does my Xbox series x keeps on saying installation stopped when I'm installing doom...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does my Xbox series x keeps on saying installation stopped when I'm installing doom...: I got Doom Eternal from Gamestop, and it keeps saying the installation stopped for the past three days. I have tried clearing local saved games but that did not work, I tried restarting,...
  5. How do I fix the installation when it keeps stopping?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I fix the installation when it keeps stopping?: I have been trying to download a xbox game but the installation keeps stopping. I've restarted my xbox, I've canceled the download and downloaded it again, and it still doesn't work. How do I fix...
  6. Why’s is my Xbox series x making a clicking noise then stopping my installations

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why’s is my Xbox series x making a clicking noise then stopping my installations: Hi recently when installing some games my xbox gets about half way then clicks once or twice before stopping the install and I have to manually restart it any idea what this could be? It only...
  7. why does my xbox keep saying installation stopped?

in XBoX on Consoles
    why does my xbox keep saying installation stopped?: i’ve been trying to install fortnite for the past few days looking up all sorts of ways to fix the problem but nothing seems to work. ive tried probably every method that i could find on youtube...
  8. My Xbox keeps stopping game installations from disc at 25%, and will repeatedly stop after...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox keeps stopping game installations from disc at 25%, and will repeatedly stop after...: This issue has been on here before but the solution didn't do anything to help. The problem is, when I go to install any disc games on my Xbox One S, they will download normally until reaching...
  9. How to stop getting error 8x80190193 when installing game pass games on pc

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How to stop getting error 8x80190193 when installing game pass games on pc: Getting this error when trying to install game pass games and only game pass games on my computer. I have tried rebooting and resetting caches. This error happens on both microsoft store and xbox...
  10. Network transfer says installation stopped

in XBoX on Consoles
    Network transfer says installation stopped: I transferred and it says installation stopped when I try download anything b4fd0cc4-d572-424c-816b-ebc941d251ed