Install games in other disks

Discus and support Install games in other disks in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; The install page says that my drive isn't format as NTFS, the NTFS drive requires a maximum sector size of 4K. However, when I check both my D & E... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Tiantian Zhang, Oct 9, 2023.

1. Install games in other disks

The install page says that my drive isn't format as NTFS, the NTFS drive requires a maximum sector size of 4K. However, when I check both my D & E drives, they are in NTFS format. When I go to my profile - install options, it only allows me to download on C disk.

What should I do?

:)

Tiantian Zhang, Oct 9, 2023
  2. Daniel Gill_354 Win User

Hi Tiantian Z! I hope you are well, delighted to be able to offer you my help!

The problem seems to be related to the sector size of the external hard drive. Xbox requires the external hard drive to be formatted as NTFS with a maximum sector size of 4k.

Here are some steps you can take to resolve the issue:

Check Sector Size: You can check the sector size of your external hard drive by right-clicking on the drive in File Explorer, selecting “Properties,” and then clicking the “Hardware” tab. Select the external hard drive and click the “Properties” button. Under the “Volumes” tab, you should see the value “Bytes per sector.” If it is not set to 4096, that may be causing the problem.

Reformat the drive: If the sector size is not set to 4096, you will need to reformat the drive to NTFS with a maximum sector size of 4k. This will erase all data on the drive, so be sure to back up all important files before continuing.

To format the drive as NTFS with a 4k sector size, right-click the external hard drive in File Explorer, select “Format,” and then select “NTFS” as the file system. Click the "Allocation Unit Size" drop-down menu and select "4096 bytes (default)." Then, click "Start" to begin the formatting process.

Use a different hard drive: If you are unable to reformat the drive or the drive still does not work after formatting, you may need to use a different external hard drive that meets Xbox requirements.
    I hope this helps you resolve the issue and get your external hard drive working with your Xbox!

Best regards,
    Daniel.
  3. Tiantian Zhang Win User

[​IMG]

I tried to find the 'Bytes per sector' value, seems like it is not there.

If I can only install in C disk, does it mean only C disk is set on 4k sector size, and other disks are not?
  4. Daniel Gill_354 Win User

That's correct, if only Disk C appears it is because it meets all the requirements to install.
  5. Bowenac Win User

Booting back to dashboard? Do games actually install?

Another update...

Turns out the other day when I was installing and having those issues it was downloading the game from the store for some reason and installing, that's why it said it was downloading files or what ever it said but it never said installing. I just uninstalled
    ghost and put the disk back in to install and it started installing from the disk.

I talked to Microsoft again and they said the other day customers were having issues with installs and that is what was happening and they were telling people to unhook network cable so the game would install in offline mode from the disk.

So that is why the game was able to continue the install while the disk was out haha. Looks like they fixed that issue as its installing from the disk now and way quicker than it installed the other day.
  6. DookieEvil Win User

cant install 2nd disk of GoTY Arkham City

You have to launch disk 2 and install it from a menu in game,you cant just install from dashboard like other disks.
Thema:

1. Install games in other disks - Similar Threads - Install games disks

2. Comparison of installed games between friends library’s

in XboX Insiders
    Comparison of installed games between friends library’s: Hey just an idea I thought would be cool, for years with my friends nearly every week or month when we get bored of a game we always ask what games the other has installed, there’s a way to check...
  3. Why does my Xbox freeze after installing a game?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does my Xbox freeze after installing a game?: I have an Xbox One S and I downloaded a game yesterday. It was queued up for installation before I turned off the Xbox. Now, when I try to start anything, an error pops up saying the app was...
  4. Installed game code Forza Motorsport: Premium Edition on Xbox1 - then realised not...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Installed game code Forza Motorsport: Premium Edition on Xbox1 - then realised not...: My son got an xbox one for his birthday. An uncle emailed him a game code for Forza Motorsport: Premium Edition that same day. We entered the game code not knowing that this game is not compatible...
  5. I have a Seagate storage thing and when I install games it says I need to transfer them, is...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have a Seagate storage thing and when I install games it says I need to transfer them, is...: when I plug my storage into the right hole in my xbox it claims I have 2.2 TB free but when I download a game on my storage it says that I have to put it on my internal storage. Is there a way to...
  6. Xbox One wont install disk games.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One wont install disk games.: When I try to install a game to my xbox one using a disk it always says installation failed when it reaches around 5 percent, I have tried with multiple disks and none work, some download more...
  7. 2 different GTA V disks won't install, and why can't I just download the game digitally...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    2 different GTA V disks won't install, and why can't I just download the game digitally...: I bought GTA V as my first game for my Xbox One S a few years ago. The disk was broken while moving houses multiple times, and I've gotten a new one recently. The disk won't install the game, as...
  8. Disk write and read error prevents installation of large games from steam.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Disk write and read error prevents installation of large games from steam.: Greetings, I apologize in advance for the long thread, bad grammar and for unable to upload any screenshots or images concerning my scenario, I have attempted to upload the images here, but it...
  9. Most of my Xbox one disk games are not installing or even reading as if no disk at all is...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Most of my Xbox one disk games are not installing or even reading as if no disk at all is...: Most of my Xbox one disk games are not installing or even reading as if no disk at all is in my Xbox x the dashboard even changes some Xbox one games that I have installed and played before won't...
  10. I try install an game from my disk and it stop at 23 percent every time i try to install it...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I try install an game from my disk and it stop at 23 percent every time i try to install it...: I tried almost everything and other games seems to install just fine but this one seems to have some kind of problem of installing it. The game im trying to install is Assassin's Creed The Ezio...