Incredibly low bandwidth usage while downloading

Discus and support Incredibly low bandwidth usage while downloading in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've got my Xbox One connected to ethernet and I usually get anywhere from 100 Mb/s to 1 Gb/s on my PC. Currently, I've spent over two weeks trying to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ColdKirk, Jun 22, 2015.

1. ColdKirk
    ColdKirk Guest

I've got my Xbox One connected to ethernet and I usually get anywhere from 100 Mb/s to 1 Gb/s on my PC. Currently, I've spent over two weeks trying to download Halo Master Chief Collection and the bandwidth never raises above 400 Kbit/s with the average
    I see being closer to 15 Kbit/s.

Everything else runs fine, I can stream in HD on Twitch and Netflix with no issues, multiplayer in Advanced Warfare hardly ever hiccups, I just can't get the download speed to raise to appropriate levels. It's not only with the Master Chief Collection, I
    can't even get good speeds with any games from EA Access.

I've switched from wifi to ethernet, tried canceling the download, restarted the Xbox multiple times but to no avail.

Also, these are digital downloads, not disk downloads. I had no issue getting Advanced Warfare installed.

:)

ColdKirk, Jun 22, 2015
  2. Low bandwidth usage

I have pretty quick fiber optic broadband, however when I am downloading games from Xbox store it takes forever.

Admitedly i am using wireless connection to my router but I am only getting between 5-15 Mbit/s. If I test my connection using my phone wirelessly right next to my Xbox with speedtest app I get 85 Mbit/s using a server 100+ miles away.

Why is my Xbox ones bandwidth utilisation so poor? Surely with so much bandwidth available it should be downloading very quickly.

jim10000-B5E2D2E0-AB47-4FB1-BEC2-4E4B835CE876, Jun 22, 2015
  3. LordxCrota
    LordxCrota Guest
    Low bandwidth usage

Try plugging your Xbox into your router as a test to see if it makes it go any faster.

LordxCrota, Jun 22, 2015
  4. Incredibly low bandwidth usage while downloading

My guess is that you'll have to change your DNS in your network settings from the default to either Google DNS or Open DNS

Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Open DNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

You can find the network settings by

1. pressing the home button
    2. Press the menu button right of the home button and go to settings
    3. From there you can go to network
    4. select advanced settings
    5. DNS
    After that perform a
    powercycle

But just for troubleshooting sake can you also fill in the following information as accurately as possible if the above method wouldn't work

What Country/State/Province do you live in?

Modem brand & model number:

Router brand & model number:

How many Xbox 360 and Xbox One consoles are connected to this router?:

Wired or Wireless (for each console):

Things you have tried:

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/No/Unknown:

Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type?:

Any Error Codes you encounter:

Who is your ISP? (Internet Service Provider):

FearedNightmare, Jun 23, 2015
  5. ColdKirk
    ColdKirk Guest
    Changed the DNS and did a powercycle, didn't seem to do anything for the download speed so I canceled the download again and retried.

This time, it got through to about 15% with speeds around 100 Mbit/s and up but then the download got queued very briefly and the speeds dropped back down to around 5 Kbit/s when it got to 15%.

I wasn't doing anything on the Xbox and was just letting the download run.

I'm at Georgia Tech so I can't answer most of the troubleshooting questions but I'll answer what I know.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? : US, Georgia

Modem brand & model number: N/A

Router brand & model number: N/A

How many Xbox 360 and Xbox One consoles are connected to this router?: 1

Wired or Wireless (for each console): Wired

Things you have tried: Hard reset, changed from wireless to wired, DNS change, canceled and retried downloads, paused download then restart xbox and continued installation.

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/No/Unknown: Unknown

Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type?: Open

Any Error Codes you encounter: None

Who is your ISP? (Internet Service Provider): Georgia Tech ResNet

ColdKirk, Jun 23, 2015
  6. ColdKirk
    ColdKirk Guest
    Just tried again to download a different game, Titanfall. The download went smooth for about 20 minutes, got 54% completed with the bandwidth staying steady at 50-100 Mbit/s. Once it reached 54%, the bandwidth speed dropped down back to around 5 - 50 Kbit/s.

Now the download keeps switching from saying Queued and Installing with nearly no progress being made and the download speeds staying low as if no activity.

ColdKirk, Jun 23, 2015
  7. Can you check if it's trying to also download updates at the same time because this can give issues with the update not finding the game since it's not fully download/installed

Since your NAT is open it shouldn't be giving this many issues

FearedNightmare, Jun 23, 2015
  8. ColdKirk
    ColdKirk Guest

How can I check that? These are digital downloads and nothing prompts saying they're trying to update.

ColdKirk, Jun 23, 2015
  9. FearedNightmare, Jun 23, 2015
  10. ColdKirk
    ColdKirk Guest
    Yeah, I've attempted everything on that page and nothing has changed.

ColdKirk, Jun 23, 2015
  11. ColdKirk
    ColdKirk Guest
    Here's my detailed network statistics if it helps.

Download Speed: 395.42 Mbps

Upload Speed 12.07 Mbps

Packet loss 0%

MTU 1420

Latency 70 ms

Here's the bandwidth usage while Titanfall is "installing", I'll all values I see for the next 20 seconds.

795.0 bit/s

267.14 bit/s

162.16 bit/s

12.79 Kbit/s

1.16 Kbit/s

1.38 Kbit/s

5.84 Kbit/s

4.7 Kbit/s

etc.

ColdKirk, Jun 23, 2015
  12. taidara
    taidara Guest
    I assume your connection is not being routed through a traditional residental gateway, but through a campus network?

taidara, Jun 23, 2015
  13. ColdKirk
    ColdKirk Guest

ColdKirk, Jun 23, 2015
  14. taidara
    taidara Guest
    When your Xbox One is running Ethernet, does it terminate to an Ethernet wall socket?

May I ask if you participate in the
    Xbox One preview program
    and have registered your console for Preview updates.

Have you been able to download digital games without being "throttled", or updates in general?

Have you raised a ticket with ResNet, to see if they are able to analyze your traffic?

taidara, Jun 23, 2015
  15. ColdKirk
    ColdKirk Guest
    Goes into a wall socket in the room.

Not in Xbox One Preview Program.

I've been able to download small sized games like Chalice and apps in general. Advanced Warfare updated and downloaded fine from disc.

Haven't raised a ticket.

ColdKirk, Oct 31, 2018
  16. FearedNightmare Win User

Can you check if it's trying to also download updates at the same time because this can give issues with the update not finding the game since it's not fully download/installed

Since your NAT is open it shouldn't be giving this many issues
  17. taidara Win User

I assume your connection is not being routed through a traditional residental gateway, but through a campus network?
  18. ColdKirk Win User

Here's my detailed network statistics if it helps.

Download Speed: 395.42 Mbps

Upload Speed 12.07 Mbps

Packet loss 0%

MTU 1420

Latency 70 ms

Here's the bandwidth usage while Titanfall is "installing", I'll all values I see for the next 20 seconds.

795.0 bit/s

267.14 bit/s

162.16 bit/s

12.79 Kbit/s

1.16 Kbit/s

1.38 Kbit/s

5.84 Kbit/s

4.7 Kbit/s

etc.
  19. ColdKirk Win User

Yeah, I've attempted everything on that page and nothing has changed.
  20. ColdKirk Win User

How can I check that? These are digital downloads and nothing prompts saying they're trying to update.
Thema:

1. Incredibly low bandwidth usage while downloading - Similar Threads - Incredibly low bandwidth

2. Great Wi-Fi but get low mbps signal is good why is that

in XBoX on Consoles
    Great Wi-Fi but get low mbps signal is good why is that: I had great download speed in the past but now I don’t what’s to problem I have great Wi-Fi great signal I get 10 to 80 Mbps 11bdb2e6-2bf4-4e1a-a003-90a538d08095
  3. Is anybody fed up with xbox low TB ?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Is anybody fed up with xbox low TB ?: How the mighty xbox had fallen... im buying ps4 after i spent so much on this dumb product. I cant play any of my games bcz theres only 2tb and i had to buy a seagate for my only games i play...
  4. Can you guys patch the false low battery indicator

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can you guys patch the false low battery indicator: Hi! I have been experiencing the FLBI (False Low Battery Indicator) despite my computer being about 50 some-odd percent. Is there something wrong with my computer, it is a Windows 10 and can you...
  5. Xbox App, microsoft store and games incredibly slow to start

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App, microsoft store and games incredibly slow to start: Hi iv been having an issue with my windows 10 pc. I have the xbox app loaded onto my pc to run the gamepass games. About a week ago the xbox app and the microsoft store started taking forever to...
  6. Incredibly slow download speeds on Xbox for PC (SOLUTION)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Incredibly slow download speeds on Xbox for PC (SOLUTION): There are dozens of identical posts with no clear solution, dating back years where people with perfectly fine PC's and very fast hardwired internet connections get less than 10mbps download...
  7. My xbox one s has been crashing, freezing, and running incredibly slow lately

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My xbox one s has been crashing, freezing, and running incredibly slow lately: constant crashes, freezes, and overall slow performance, I've tried factory resetting twice, cleaning the console, and reinstalling multiple games but nothing seems to fix my issue...
  8. Text chat with USB keyboard is incredibly inconvenient for EVERY game

in XBoX on Consoles
    Text chat with USB keyboard is incredibly inconvenient for EVERY game: One thing I've been growingly excited about in recent years is the implementation of mouse + keyboard and crossplay with PC. Especially with Quake 1 and 2 out, this is bringing me back to the days...
  9. My Xbox Series S is incredibly slow

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Series S is incredibly slow: I’m almost always having a terrible time just with basic usage of my Xbox Series S. Very often I get “*any particular app or game* has taken too long to start” even if I’m only trying to open...
  10. 2008 Incredible Hulk video game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    2008 Incredible Hulk video game: What's keeping this masterpiece from becoming backwards compatible? Is it because of the success of the MCU, or the fall Sega? Just want to know if a 360 favorite can get an upgrade....