IDEA : Xbox 360 and Original Xbox main Menu emulation in the Xbox One | Series .

Discus and support IDEA : Xbox 360 and Original Xbox main Menu emulation in the Xbox One | Series . in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Well, if you are here, it means that you were interested in the topic of emulating the main menu of past Xbox. The easiest way to achieve this :... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by adik06, May 14, 2021.

1. adik06
    adik06 Guest

IDEA : Xbox 360 and Original Xbox main Menu emulation in the Xbox One | Series .

Well, if you are here, it means that you were interested in the topic of emulating the main menu of past Xbox.

The easiest way to achieve this : simply buy the X360 or OGX console , however, I have an application concept for Xbox One | Series. My vision is below :

It would be an application based on the expandable and extensive Xbox main menu. The program would be downloaded from the Microsoft Store on Xbox One and Series. At the beginning, the application, in an eye-friendly menu, would ask you to choose the emulation: OGX or X360, then choose the emulation version. I think there are old versions of the Xbox 360 software somewhere on the Microsoft servers. Thanks to this, you could slightly modify the software and "paste" it into our emulator. Of course, I think the software would be devoid of some options, for example: Online Profile Selection, viewing other players' profiles would be available , but there would be no Netflix or YouTube app access. I would like the emulation to resemble the original software as much as possible, including sounds, possible bugs, system options, quick menu, Kinect X360 support, and even the ability to play X360 or OGX discs, without any graphical enhancement.

This application would allow you to recall old memories and remind yourself of what it was like then.

And what do you think about it ? write below what you would like to add to my idea, and whether it is feasible by the Microsoft group. Phil Spencer if you are reading this, it would be amazing if you could bring this idea to life .

Adrian

:)

adik06, May 14, 2021
  2. XBF Zineb F Win User

3. Obsessive Power Win User

Why not allow us to request OG Xbox games for backwards compatibility?

....they should allow us as consumers to have access to the set of code they used for the emulator...
    Xbox 360 and original Xbox games technically aren't being emulated. The games were reverse engineered to run on the Xbox One. They are, for all intents and purposes, Xbox One games running inside an Xbox 360/original Xbox virtual machine. They're not 'emulated' in the traditional sense.

This is why when you insert a BC 360 Xbox game, there is an update to download. This is not an update, it is the full game recoded to run on the Xbox One or Series X|S consoles.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Is Microsoft going to make their old Xbox Original ames a port to newer platforms?

which is why the new Xbox series X is supposed to be able to play almost every game from every generation of Xbox console (including the original).
    That's marketing spiel that's been misinterpreted. From how I understand it, the Xbox Series X will run most if not all Xbox One games. Which means at best, 100% BC with the Xbox One. It will also play all the games that currently on the Xbox One BC list
    on the Xbox One.

Nowhere have said it will play almost, or all Xbox games from all the Xbox generations.

The problem with making all old games work is a hardware one. The Xbox 360 used a PowerPC 32-bit processor. The Xbox One and Series X use AMD X64 based processors. The Xbox One and the Series X are like PCs and they share the same processor architecture.

BC is achieved on the Xbox One because the BC team (with zero help from the developer) take the old 360 game and reverse engineer it to run on the Xbox One, taking the original 32-bit PPC executable archive and turning it into a 64-bit X64 executable. There's
    no software emulation for the game. The only thing emulated in software is the 360 OS.

To run most games, or indeed, every game would require a software emulator for 360 games. A pure software emulator is a lot of hard work, far to complex to explain here.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X|S backwards compatibility issues

"Why not use the emulator to run the code that was created for the original systems.... but run it through the hardware on the X|S series. I personally feel let down on this. I run emulators on my Dell laptop that will play EVERY game I own, but the X|S series Xbox can't run AS ADVERTISED".
    Hi,

Strictly speaking it's not emulation, not on the Xbox One and Series X|S anyway.

Only the Xbox 360 had a proper software emulator to run the original Xbox games that the BC team tested and configured to play correctly (or mostly correctly) on the 360 console. This type of software emulation could be compared to the same type emulation you're doing on your laptop.

Obviously, it's one thing to emulate a limited system such as a 90's 16-bit console or arcade board and entirely something else when it comes to more complex hardware such as an original Xbox or Xbox 360. Have you tried PS2 emulation on PC? It's not the same as running a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive title via emulation.

When Microsoft decided to create a BC program for running Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One, they needed to take a different approach as pure software emulation just wasn't going to cut it. Generally, for software emulation, you need a system several times more powerful than the target system you're trying to emulate. The Xbox One, while on a technical level being more advanced than the 360, wasn't a great system to emulate the 360 in software. The Xbox One's 8 core Jaguar APU is low powered, more like a laptop CPU/GPU compared to its PC counterparts.

As the Xbox One was effectively too underpowered for software emulation, the BC team approach was to take each game and reverse engineer it from its native 32-bit PowerPC application to a Xbox One 64-bit X86/64 application. This approach made getting older 360 games to Xbox One more complex, but it did give the benefit of actually making the games playable on the system. Software emulation couldn't do that. In fact, only the Xbox 360 OS is emulated in software.

All the games they made BC (with no help from developers either), needed to be run from start to finish to test performance and stability. No mean feat.

Yes, there are now more powerful consoles available. But since Microsoft didn't use a software emulation solution on the Xbox One, to create one now would be a massive undertaking. Yes, it could be done, but at what cost? It's not like you can create a software emulator and all games will just work perfectly on it.

The Series X|S play the vast majority of Xbox One games because architecturally they're the same. No emulation required.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Do you need to download the whole game

Xbox 360 Backward compatible games need to be downloaded due to the fact the game has to have the emulator installed with it (if you press the menu and view buttons at the same time it brings up the Xbox 360 guide).
    That's not strictly true. Xbox 360 games running on Xbox One or Series X|S are not emulated. The 360 and original Xbox games that the BC team made available are, essentially, rebuilt games. The BC team took these 32-bit PowerPC (For Xbox 360) engineered games and converted/recompiled/reverse engineered (or whatever other term you want to use) to be Xbox One native games, running inside an Xbox mini guide emulator or virtual machine.

To the Topic creator:

Since an Xbox 360 BC disc contains data that is not compatible with the Xbox One or Series X|S the user is required to download an 'update' to get the rebuilt game that SwordofWhedon referred to in their post.

I guess 'update' would be a completely wrong word for this, but since most console users are not technically minded, 'update' is probably the best word they could think to use without over complicating things. In the end it's all just semantics.

Only the Xbox 360 mini guide is actually emulated and even that term wouldn't be quite correct.
Thema:

1. IDEA : Xbox 360 and Original Xbox main Menu emulation in the Xbox One | Series . - Similar Threads - IDEA 360 Original

2. So do you guys think it's a good idea

in XBoX on Windows
    So do you guys think it's a good idea: So do you guys think it's a good idea to sell my Xbox series X for a series s and a xscreen or portable monitor or not. 278698c0-23e3-45d7-af24-410aa6661a7f
  3. Xbox 360 Dashboard Downgrade Idea For Nostalgia Purposes

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox 360 Dashboard Downgrade Idea For Nostalgia Purposes: So I have an Idea where Microsoft could make it where we could go back & visit the older Xbox 360 dashboards like the Blades/NXE/Kinect Dashboard for nostalgia purposes they should try to make an...
  4. Old Xbox 360 Account has reset on new gen when signed in but not reset on 360. Any ideas?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Old Xbox 360 Account has reset on new gen when signed in but not reset on 360. Any ideas?: Okay so basically what happened is I signed into my old Xbox 360 account on a S series and the web app. But the account has nothing on it at all as if it was reset in the process but here’s the...
  5. An Idea For Xbox 360 Developer Mode

in XboX Insiders
    An Idea For Xbox 360 Developer Mode: This Idea Allows The User Of The Xbox 360 to Download an app Developer mode activator This Mode Would Allow The Use Of HomeBrew And Mods For Games But when the mode is activated It Would Block...
  6. New idea and twist on the Xbox 360,one,moblie!!!!!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    New idea and twist on the Xbox 360,one,moblie!!!!!!: So my idea and new twist is we take all of Xbox one 360 and mobile and combine to make ( my idea name is not trademark or copyright yet) Xbox Real . this will make Microsoft and the Xbox...
  7. I have no idea what is wrong with my 360's internet connection.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have no idea what is wrong with my 360's internet connection.: So, yesterday, I decided to get on my 360, and play some Terraria. I was playing, then my friend invited me to a Xbox live Party. First red flag was when I talked, my friend said my voice was...
  8. Possible an Idea to play Xbox 360 Games on Xbox One??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Possible an Idea to play Xbox 360 Games on Xbox One??: Hello Everyone.. I was thinking,Unlike the way where you can connect your HDMI from Xbox 360 to Xbox One in order to play Games on it and maybe take screenshots and such.. But, When I tried it a...
  9. Who is that genius who cam up with the idea not to support 360 games on One???

in XBoX on Consoles
    Who is that genius who cam up with the idea not to support 360 games on One???: Xbox One marketing and dev teams, you guys better to come up with a patch to start supporting 360 games and remote controls... 20ff052f-1c72-4324-a00f-796700f02c85
  10. Just a little 360 idea...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Just a little 360 idea...: Whenever I see anyone who has an Xbox One, I see that "Xbox One Games" are listed as one game. A little Idea to spread this out would be to list games and have their platform (Xbox 360, Xbox One,...