I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!!

Discus and support I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!! in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I never said I was the majority, but I am definitely a PART of the majority of the European market as evidenced by the NUMEROUS posts on these forums... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Lucius Covill, Jan 19, 2014.

  1. D Trounson
    D Trounson Guest

    I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!!


    I never said I was the majority, but I am definitely a PART of the majority of the European market as evidenced by the NUMEROUS posts on these forums about this exact same issue.

    Here it is not only possible but incredibly likely that people will move between countries, often without speaking the language, or simply wanting the option to use their native language for their media content because it is easier for them.

    That is why the software industry came up with this spiffy concept of EFIGS for Europe, that they would release wherever possible in English, French, Italian, German and Spanish. Great right? And in fact 99% of discs contain all of those languages, hooray
    even better right?

    Yes.... until the console decides to instead select based on your dashboard setting.

    I can actually speak some German, and I understand enough to play games in it, but why the hell should I be FORCED to, when it makes it harder for me to enjoy the game, and also offers a less rich experience due to atrociously badly voice acted German dubs.

    As for predominant languages in Europe, that would be the ones mentioned above, which is why it is standard to release in all of them, because they achieve about an even split with one another.

    If we stick with Germany as the example, here people speak German, next foreign language used is English at 56%, French at 15% and Russian at 5%

    en.wikipedia.org/.../Languages_of_Germany - how languages work in Germany

    en.wiktionary.org/.../EFIGS - what is EFIGS anyway

    www.reddit.com/.../1esbq8 - an interesting read for Americans who don't know Europe

    en.wikipedia.org/.../Unterhaltungssoftware_Selbstkontrolle - the rules and regulations on how games can be sold in Germany

    Please review all of those pages before your next guess as to why this issue is invalid
     
    D Trounson, Feb 7, 2014
    #16
  2. ngocphi
    ngocphi Guest
    You don't have a choice it is part of international laws what part of that don't you understand?

    Software isn't ruled by the same laws

    Content laws are different from webpage

    Web pages are still controlled by international laws but certain things aren't

    Software laws don't apply to software except for copyright and business process

    Content laws affect how a game operates and displays

    Like no torture or hate speech hence why it is localized

    To add another language unlike software which takes it from the os

    Requires a rewrite due to content changing
     
    ngocphi, Feb 8, 2014
    #17
  3. ngocphi
    ngocphi Guest
    Efig has nothing to do with availability per region

    That's what is available to world wide

    Efig just means the content is available in those languages

    Actually xbox supports more languages then Efig

    Taiwanese Japanese etc

    So again your issue is with the publisher for example Activision really

    they decide what is published per region

    Usually it is the localized copy

    What you don't seem to get is

    A just because there is a uk or us or Canada english version doesn't mean you have access to it

    as it would break international laws and distribution rights

    You only have access to the german marketplace while in the german account

    Software laws is mostly interface not content laws

    If torture or nazi zombies ain't allowed in Germany you get the censored german one in Germany

    Or even lyrics that are banned

    Also the distribution rights angle

    Voice actors and musicians get paid via royalties

    So if only 300 people buy the English copy in Germany yet it costs 300 thousand to localize a english copy to comply with Usk where do you think the company makes money?
     
    ngocphi, Feb 8, 2014
    #18
  4. D Trounson
    D Trounson Guest

    I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!!

    No YOU still fail to understand.

    I WANT the German marketplace for digital content (almost all of which is in English EXCEPT where a title was heavily edited for the German market)

    I also purchase games at German retail (same deal as digital)

    It is also perfectly legal to import games in Germany from any region you like, but any title which was refused listing in Germany is AUTOMATICALLY treated as USK18+ and ID is required on delivery, this is handled by border control.

    My problem is the console which doesn't allow me to select the language, it uses whatever the dashboard specifies, so even though the digitally downloaded title supports English OR the disc version also supports it. If the dashboard says language Deutsch,
    location Deutschland that is what the game uses.

    What I WANT from Microsoft is the ability to say language English, location Deutschland which would resolve that problem AND allow me to be purchasing content from the correct marketplace.

    This is not rocket science, and has absolutely nothing to do with international localisation law, since this content is available from the marketplace AND retail in the languages I want.

    You really shouldn't be commenting without understanding the problem from the perspective of someone who actually lives here.
     
    D Trounson, Feb 8, 2014
    #19
  5. Sad that Microsoft not made this happen yet after 1,5 year. I live in NL and want English as language. Like the people above I need for certain purpeses my Locale on the country I live now.

    There are many fellow people who do for 4 years of longer an English spoken education and don't speak Dutch. Also in the North of Italy (South-Tyrol) there are lots of German speaking people, but you can't set this eather.
     
    KGI Klikopedia, Oct 2, 2015
    #20
  6. Mister Beep
    Mister Beep Guest
    Hey DBB Klikopedia!

    Since this is an older thread, I suggest heading over to our
    Xbox Feedback
    page to submit feedback. That is the best way for your voice to be heard!

    If you ever have any Xbox issues, be sure to post a new thread detailing the issue so the community can provide support tailored to you!
     
    Mister Beep, Oct 31, 2018
    #21
  7. D Trounson Win User

    I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!!

    No YOU still fail to understand.

    I WANT the German marketplace for digital content (almost all of which is in English EXCEPT where a title was heavily edited for the German market)

    I also purchase games at German retail (same deal as digital)

    It is also perfectly legal to import games in Germany from any region you like, but any title which was refused listing in Germany is AUTOMATICALLY treated as USK18+ and ID is required on delivery, this is handled by border control.

    My problem is the console which doesn't allow me to select the language, it uses whatever the dashboard specifies, so even though the digitally downloaded title supports English OR the disc version also supports it. If the dashboard says language Deutsch,
    location Deutschland that is what the game uses.

    What I WANT from Microsoft is the ability to say language English, location Deutschland which would resolve that problem AND allow me to be purchasing content from the correct marketplace.

    This is not rocket science, and has absolutely nothing to do with international localisation law, since this content is available from the marketplace AND retail in the languages I want.

    You really shouldn't be commenting without understanding the problem from the perspective of someone who actually lives here.
  8. ngocphi Win User

    I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!!

    You don't have a choice it is part of international laws what part of that don't you understand?

    Software isn't ruled by the same laws

    Content laws are different from webpage

    Web pages are still controlled by international laws but certain things aren't

    Software laws don't apply to software except for copyright and business process

    Content laws affect how a game operates and displays

    Like no torture or hate speech hence why it is localized

    To add another language unlike software which takes it from the os

    Requires a rewrite due to content changing
  9. ThomasHilger Win User

    I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!!

    This ist not true. I have a german gamertag, live in Germany too but when I set the region and language to U.S./english the voice commands work just fine for me. And I wouldn´t say that I have no accent when I speak english.
  10. Rhiscar Win User

    I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!!

    You completely missed the point now. I don't want content in English localized on my country I just want to play my games on the language they were built I refuse to play a game made by a huge company that spent a huge amount of money on casting voices on
    a dub made for a awful company in Brazil. What I asked is: don't make language and region dependant information. I work a Dell making developing software I know how this things works. It's an easy change unless there is a rule somewhere made by someone forcing
    this to be this way. Even if that's the case is just a matter of clarifying the issue and we can all enjoy the content on the language we prefer.
  11. D Trounson Win User

    I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!!

    That's not actually true, the vast majority of Xbox One titles bought in Germany also support English (xbox 360 titles were more risky, because of disk space I suspect), and Germany is actually the most likely to release a German ONLY version because of
    their stupid censorship board.

    If you buy a game from England it will pretty much ALWAYS include English, French, Italian, German, Spanish (EFIGS)

    And which language the game chooses to use is pulled from your regional settings as specified in the dashboard. (except the very rare games which actually allow you to manually select it i.e Lego Marvel Super Heroes, some of the Assassins Creed titles)

    The MAIN point is that on the Xbox 360 you could choose language English, location Deutschland.

    Games used English as they should, Marketplace was German as it should be.

    We are not asking for a NEW feature here, we are asking for the previous feature to WORK.
Thema:

I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!!

Loading...
  1. I live in Germany! But I dont want my console in GERMAN!!! - Similar Threads - live Germany dont

  2. Disc to Digital is now live for everyone! (Omega tier user with no previous access)

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital is now live for everyone! (Omega tier user with no previous access): Make sure you restart your Xbox don't just turn it on and off. submitted by /u/AstroZombie1 [link] [comments]
  3. Disc to Digital Licensing on XBOX (FAQ) - goes live for Xbox Insiders today

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital Licensing on XBOX (FAQ) - goes live for Xbox Insiders today: Xbox is rolling out its Disc-to-Digital Licensing test to select Xbox Insiders today. The feature can convert eligible Xbox One and Xbox Series X game discs into digital licenses, >Xbox Play...
  4. Let there be xbox live in cambodia

    in XboX Insiders
    Let there be xbox live in cambodia: I have been wondering why not everyone can play from different countries. And some that our close to a country that works with xbox my girlfriend and me always wants to play but we can't really...
  5. Enter the Tower: Arkheron Closed Beta is Live for XBOX Insiders

    in XboX Insiders
    Enter the Tower: Arkheron Closed Beta is Live for XBOX Insiders: [IMG] The gates to Arkheron's Closed Beta are open for XBOX Insiders! ⚔️ 3v3 team battles ️ Build your playstyle using items found during matches Unlock beta-exclusive cosmetic rewards Help...
  6. Xbox Live and Xbox Game Pass cost?????

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Live and Xbox Game Pass cost?????: I truly enjoy the gameplay and Xbox Live experience, but I find the monthly cost to be quite high. While it's clear there's an interest in encouraging online play and Xbox Game Pass subscriptions,...
  7. Badge Xbox Live Gold 2002-2023 never received

    in XboX Insiders
    Badge Xbox Live Gold 2002-2023 never received: Hi, I'm sure many of you have never received the 2002-2023 Xbox Live Gold badge, which can be viewed on your Xbox profile. I've been an Xbox Live Gold member for several years, and I don't...
  8. I cant seem to be able to play online xbox live games.

    in XboX Insiders
    I cant seem to be able to play online xbox live games.: It first started last week, when i wasnt able to hop on Ark Survival Evolved. It said join failed. I check and the Ark server i play on had a discord, and they said xbox people may have connection...
  9. Feature Request: Native YouTube Live Streaming Support on Xbox

    in XboX Insiders
    Feature Request: Native YouTube Live Streaming Support on Xbox: Hi Xbox Team, As a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and content creator, I’d love to see native support for YouTube Live streaming directly from Xbox consoles. While the current Twitch integration...
  10. Can i gift minecraft to my cousin wh lives in turkey, i live in germany btw...

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can i gift minecraft to my cousin wh lives in turkey, i live in germany btw...: I want to gift my cousin who lives in turkey minecraft 60a260a4-61b7-466f-8120-b3635279c4c7