I keep getting the error message 'cannot use this alias' when I try to add my phone number...

Discus and support I keep getting the error message 'cannot use this alias' when I try to add my phone number... in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; When I've tried to redeem Xbox rewards, I've been asked to add a mobile number to my account. After following all of the steps I get the message saying... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Alicia Brunskill, Dec 15, 2023.

1. I keep getting the error message 'cannot use this alias' when I try to add my phone number...

When I've tried to redeem Xbox rewards, I've been asked to add a mobile number to my account. After following all of the steps I get the message saying that I 'cannot use this alias'.

I have:

• checked my other personal Microsoft accounts and the phone number is not registered there
    • checked my linked Skype account and the phone number is not registered there
    • cleared cached browsing data and tried again, still does not work
    • tried using Edge and Chrome browsers on PC and Safari on a smart phone.

I do not use a Microsoft email account for work but have done in the past. If my phone number has been used for one of these accounts, is there a way to get Microsoft to remove it?

Is there anything else I can try to be able to add my phone number?

Thank you in advance.

Alicia

:)

Alicia Brunskill, Dec 15, 2023
  2. Darhyl Amizola Win User

I keep getting the error message 'cannot use this alias' when I try to add my phone number to my account

Hi Alicia! My name is Darhyl and I’d be more than happy to help you with your query.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this with your Microsoft Rewards.

It's important to note that this is a public user-to-user community forum, and none of us here work for Microsoft.

I've also experienced the same issue before. I'm afraid that once you have your phone number associated with a Microsoft account, even if you remove it from the account and attempt to re-add it to your new account, it will not work as it is permanently registered on the original account where it was first added.

The only best option is to add a new phone number to your Microsoft account as your alias to redeem in Microsoft rewards.

Also, avoid VoIP phone numbers: If you were using a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) phone number previously, consider switching to a traditional mobile or landline number. Sometimes, VoIP numbers may not be recognized or accepted during the verification process.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding! Please feel free to let me know if you need anything else.

Best Regards,
    Darhyl
  3. Arminas Vam Win User

Can't add phone number

Hi, the phone number is not being accepted, I get the code and the code works but when I type it in and submit it, it says "This alias cannot be added to your account. Choose a different alias", so for some reason they don't accept my phone number.
  4. waces Win User

Change assigned e-mail to O365 based one

Hi Kev,

Thanks, I tried that one at the first place and get the error message "You can't add a work or school email address as an alias to a personal Microsoft account. Please try another."

also, when i tried to add my never used outlook.ie account (which is working but really don't want to use it as an alias) i received the bit strange error message "This email address is already taken. Please try another."
  5. zutrooo Win User

Account problems

Hi, I did it for my alias phone number and security phone number, but even information about 30 days waiting doesn't appeared. I see my phone number as my alias and security I have removed them and put again but nothing happened. I receive on my phone
    message, but when I take contact information it says there is no phone number connected with this account
  6. DreamOfFire Win User

Xbox Rewards app says I need to add a phone number.

When I follow those steps, the only choice I see for adding a phone number is under the alias section. There is no other way to add a phone number on my account.

And as I explained in my post, my phone number is shown as associated with the email used on my account. So I know it's not being used for another account.
Thema:

I keep getting the error message 'cannot use this alias' when I try to add my phone number...

1. I keep getting the error message 'cannot use this alias' when I try to add my phone number... - Similar Threads - keep getting error

2. I keep getting a 0x80248014 error when downloading apps

in XBoX on Windows
    I keep getting a 0x80248014 error when downloading apps: Every time i try to install youtube or other apps on my xbox it gives me the 0x80248014 error code. Does anyone know why its giving me this problem? and how do i fix it?...
  3. After last update, I can't not sign in. Keep on getting an error code. Never happened...

in XBoX on Consoles
    After last update, I can't not sign in. Keep on getting an error code. Never happened...: After last update I keep on getting an error code never happened before. Now everytime I sign in it automatically takes me to my microsoft account. Never happened before. Now I'm stuck with an...
  4. Homefront the revolution can't connect to resistance mode. I keep getting error message...

in XBoX on Windows
    Homefront the revolution can't connect to resistance mode. I keep getting error message...: I've tried a few different methods to get to play resistance mode but everything I have tried hasn't worked. I still get the same error message (can't connect to multiplayer [support code 152]...
  5. I keep getting Error Code 0x8924000D

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I keep getting Error Code 0x8924000D: I keep getting Error Code 0x8924000D when I try to join a party or invite someone to my own. I restart my console and disconnect/restart my wifi and it doesn’t fix the issue. At the time of...
  6. I keep getting error code 0x8007007E in the Xbox app

in XBoX on Windows
    I keep getting error code 0x8007007E in the Xbox app: So basically I recently got Fallout 76 for the Microsoft store so I redeemed the key and than I had to log in the Microsoft store in order to install it ,but I couldn't so I tried on the Xbox...
  7. i keep getting error code 0x8000FFFF when i try to start a party on the XSS

in XBoX on Consoles
    i keep getting error code 0x8000FFFF when i try to start a party on the XSS: i’ve done everything i can think of and even went as far as taking my xbox apart, cleaning it, AND reapplying thermal paste. factory reset unplug for 8 hours( i full power down and unplug it...
  8. I keep getting error code 80190005 while all servers are only

in XboX Insiders
    I keep getting error code 80190005 while all servers are only: What is happening submitted by /u/KingPanda7799 [link] [comments]
  9. I keep getting error c0000006 on my computer. It pops up in certain apps and games. How to...

in XBoX on Windows
    I keep getting error c0000006 on my computer. It pops up in certain apps and games. How to...: I tried opening a Setup to install some games but I keep getting this external exception error c0000006. Also when I try to activate my windows, the settings just freezes. Any solution on how to...
  10. I'm trying to update my Series X but keep getting the error code 0x8B0500D0 0x00000000...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I'm trying to update my Series X but keep getting the error code 0x8B0500D0 0x00000000...: I've tried unplugging the main power for 30 seconds, I have a solid internet connection, and plenty of storage space. Less than a month ago I had to offline update it. How do I get this new...