I hear an echo in audio chat

Discus and support I hear an echo in audio chat in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I will go through the following, respectively: The Symptom The Setup The Troubleshooting The Symptom When I use game audio chat, party audio... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Phonevon, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Phonevon
    Phonevon Guest

I will go through the following, respectively:

• The Symptom
    • The Setup
    • The Troubleshooting
    The Symptom

When I use game audio chat, party audio chat, or Skype, I hear an echo of my own voice when my friend(s) are not using the standard one-ear piece Xbox One headset. If they use the appropriate headset, there is no issue. Conversely, if they use the standard
    headset and I use my Turtle Beach Stealth 500X, I hear an echo. As long as there is a mismatch in headsets, I hear the echo. However, I alone am able to hear the echo; my friends do not hear it.

The Setup

I will use the standard headset while my friend uses his Astro A50, and I will hear myself echo, but my friend does not hear it. I will use my Turtle Beach Stealth 500X headset while my friend uses his standard headset and I will also hear myself echo and
    my friend will likewise not hear it.

I am using the following network topology: Comcast Modem > AirPort Extreme 802.11ac > 5Ghz wi-fi > AirPort Express 802.11n extending network > ethernet > Xbox One. Over this "wired" connection, I am getting 50mbps down and 5mbps up with a 1480 MTU and a
    ping of less than 50ms. Plus, my NAT is Open.

Please note that I am not in the Update Preview Program.

The Troubleshooting

I have disabled Kinect for chat in Settings. Issue persists.

I have hard reset my Xbox One, holding the power button down for 10 seconds and then disconnecting the power cable from the back of the unit for 5 minutes. Issue persists.

I have signed out of my profile and signed back in. Issue persists.

I have updated the firmware of my headset as well as the sending unit. Issue persists.

I have tried with a new controller and fresh batteries. Issue persists.

I have tried with a new Xbox One. Issue persists.

I have tried unplugging power from the back of my AirPort Express for 5 minutes. Issue persists.

I have tried disabling Mic Monitoring. Issue persists.

I have tried reducing game audio. Issue persists.

I have sent messages in the Messages app using voice recording. No echo present.

Note that I followed http://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/830517688/. I also followed http://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/830517638/.

I do not believe power-cycling my modem or main base station would be of use, but I intend to try it here tonight once Halo 5 is done downloading to my new Xbox One.

Any further troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Phonevon, Dec 17, 2015
  2. The Oragin
    The Oragin Guest
    Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter - echoing problems?

I have the x12s i get game audio just fine and i can hear chat but chat is very low, also my game audio plays through the audio, so I have game audio then have chat with the echo of game audio, so i have 2 game audio sounds with a faint chat audio. anyone
    know of a way to fix this, or atleast the audio echo of the game. I can turn my game audio all the way down and only have chat audio on but im still hearing game audio over chat, first time I used it for my xbox one all day I played with just chat audio and
    didnt know because I hear both audios through my chat audio.

The Oragin, Dec 17, 2015
  3. Helios713
    Helios713 Guest
    Xbox One wireless headset echo

I have a Turtle beach x42 headset, and the audio works fine, but when I try to use chat I come across as an echo. I can hear everybody else fine, the echo only affects them.

Helios713, Dec 17, 2015
  4. Phonevon
    Phonevon Guest

I missed one thing: in addition to reducing game audio, I also reduced chat audio. Issue persists.

Phonevon, Dec 17, 2015
  5. Phonevon
    Phonevon Guest
    I just remembered an important detail. If my friend mutes his mic in either of the aforementioned scenarios, the echo stops. In fact, as the echo happens, his ring lights up in the party chat to indicate that his mic is picking up my voice and, once muted,
    it no longer lights up.

Phonevon, Dec 17, 2015
  6. Phonevon
    Phonevon Guest
    I just finished power-cycling my modem and router together, pulling power and the modem's backup battery for 5 minutes. Then, I put the battery back in the modem and connected it back to power. After the lights came back on fully green on the modem, then
    I powered the router back on. In both instances, I pulled the power cable out of the back of the device and not from the wall socket.

I also relocated my AirPort Express that is extending my wireless network to about 3.5-4 feet away from the sending unit to try and avoid wireless interference.

I also relocated the sending unit to about 1-1.5 feet away from my 50" plasma TV; it is also about 1.5-2 feet above the ground.

I will have to test with my friend later and report back on the results.

Phonevon, Dec 17, 2015
  7. Phonevon
    Phonevon Guest
    Ah, one final comment: when I experienced the echo, the headset had not yet been charged by me. I had just opened it up brand new out of the box and began using it. I have since charged it fully myself.

Again, I will have to test later and report back as to the results.

Phonevon, Dec 17, 2015
  8. I hear an echo in audio chat

If you hear an echo or noise during gameplay

Note If you hear an echo effect, it often originates from the person who is talking and not necessarily from the person who hears the echo. For example, if you hear an echo only when someone else talks, the problem may be with the headset connection
    of the person who is talking.

The following conditions may cause an echo or noise during gameplay:

• The microphone detects ambient noises. This includes voice transmission that comes from the earpiece.
    • The headset plug is not fully inserted into the controller.
    • You’re using the Xbox One Wireless Controller, and the battery levels in the unit are low.
    If you or other players hear an echo or other noise during gameplay, try the following:

• Turn the volume down on your TV or stereo.
    • Disconnect the headset, and then reconnect it firmly to the controller's expansion port.

Note Never pull on the headset cable when removing it from your controller. Remove your headset from your controller by pulling on the body of the headset plug.
    • Clean the plug on the headset cable with a clean cloth, and then reconnect the headset to the controller.
    • Test the headset by connecting it to a different controller.
    • If you're using an Xbox One Wireless Controller, replace the AA batteries or recharge the Xbox One rechargeable battery.
    Source

FearedNightmare, Dec 18, 2015
  9. Phonevon
    Phonevon Guest
    Thank you for your reply, FearedNightmare.

I did look at that article prior to posting here on the forums.

I believe the article describes the conditions at least in part about what is causing the echo: the microphone (on my friend's side) is detecting ambient noise, including voice from the earpiece, which is why the party chat ring around his profile icon lights
    up when I talk and then I hear an echo.

Keep in mind that we will not change any settings on our consoles. We will start with the standard headsets, and everything is fine. Then, when one of us changes the headset to a third-party unit, I and I alone hear an echo when I talk, but it is my friend's
    microphone that appears to be activating when the I hear it.

I did try to change the batteries in my controller, and I even tried a new controller already. In both situations, the issue persisted.

In terms of the listed troubleshooting:

--My TV audio is muted.

--My standard headset works just fine without unplugging it when my friend uses his standard headset, suggesting that it is not a connection issue on my end.

--For the same reason as above, I do not believe it is a cleanliness issue on my headset cable.

--I have tried a different controller.

--I have tried new batteries.

So, my search for a resolution continues.

Please note that my Turtle Beach Stealth 500X is a wireless headset. It uses optical out from the console to the sending unit to transmit game audio. It uses USB not only to power the sending unit from the console but also to capture chat audio. The headset
    itself does not connect to the controller by any wire or adapter.

Phonevon, Dec 18, 2015
  10. I have the same headset they seem to have lots of problems with the mic, I'm in the preview and a while back we did some tests on voice messaging the 500X just wouldn't work for any one with them as far as I know it was never fixed although you can hear
    your self when speaking, One thing which was causing echo was voice monitoring being too high but you have checked that, Have you fully updated them using the audio hub.

GrowlingYapper, Dec 18, 2015
  11. Phonevon
    Phonevon Guest
    Thanks for the reply, GrowlingYapper.

I have updated the firmware in full both for the headset and the transmitter.

I did a voice message yesterday, and it worked. My recipient heard me just fine.

Phonevon, Dec 18, 2015
  12. I stopped using mine so I will update them and give them another chance, sorry not to be helpful at least you gave me a bit of hope cost too much to just gather dust.

GrowlingYapper, Dec 18, 2015
  13. Phonevon
    Phonevon Guest

Tested. Issue persists.

Note that I get latency--however marginal--for game chat.

I'm going to test Astro A40 TRs tonight.

Phonevon, Dec 18, 2015
  14. Phonevon
    Phonevon Guest
    Astro A40 TRs have zero game audio latency.

Still get an echo.

I noticed that the echo is much less in party chat with the A40 TRs though.

I'm taking the Turtle Beach headset back.

Phonevon, Dec 19, 2015
  15. MrStuffnPuff
    MrStuffnPuff Guest
    I have the Xbox One special edition stereo headset and I am having the same problem. No idea how to fix it. I did everything that you guys have done and still continues.

MrStuffnPuff, Oct 31, 2018
  16. The Oragin Win User

Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter - echoing problems?

I have the x12s i get game audio just fine and i can hear chat but chat is very low, also my game audio plays through the audio, so I have game audio then have chat with the echo of game audio, so i have 2 game audio sounds with a faint chat audio. anyone
    know of a way to fix this, or atleast the audio echo of the game. I can turn my game audio all the way down and only have chat audio on but im still hearing game audio over chat, first time I used it for my xbox one all day I played with just chat audio and
    didnt know because I hear both audios through my chat audio.
  17. Phonevon Win User

Ah, one final comment: when I experienced the echo, the headset had not yet been charged by me. I had just opened it up brand new out of the box and began using it. I have since charged it fully myself.

Again, I will have to test later and report back as to the results.
  18. Phonevon Win User

Astro A40 TRs have zero game audio latency.

Still get an echo.

I noticed that the echo is much less in party chat with the A40 TRs though.

I'm taking the Turtle Beach headset back.
  19. Phonevon Win User

Tested. Issue persists.

Note that I get latency--however marginal--for game chat.

I'm going to test Astro A40 TRs tonight.
  20. GrowlingYapper Win User

I stopped using mine so I will update them and give them another chance, sorry not to be helpful at least you gave me a bit of hope cost too much to just gather dust.
Thema:

1. I hear an echo in audio chat - Similar Threads - hear echo audio

2. Why can't you hear the audio of GTA 4 and the other games, you can hear it even if they are...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't you hear the audio of GTA 4 and the other games, you can hear it even if they are...: When I stream on Discord from my Xbox, the audio of the GTA 4 game is not heard in the stream.and I stream another old game like gear of war 1 and 2 and the one I have problems with in gta 4...
  3. Why cant my friends stream hear my audio but hears everyone elses

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why cant my friends stream hear my audio but hears everyone elses: im on xbox app and my friend said they couldnt hear me on the stream, what do i do to fix that or yall need to fix that ed144e69-1906-4ec9-b3f0-8f56b74d453a
  4. My headset chat mixer is greyed out and i can only hear party audio

in XBoX on Consoles
    My headset chat mixer is greyed out and i can only hear party audio: The chat mixer is stuck to where i can only hear party audio and not game audio and i can change it because it’s greyed out. What do i do to fix it 543c397f-4ddd-4406-810f-50b5980e3283
  5. I can hear everything but my microphone isn't working. Is there a way to fixing this?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can hear everything but my microphone isn't working. Is there a way to fixing this?: I just got a new mic and when plugging it into my controller I could hear just fine but my microphone didn't work. I've already tried some solutions but nothing seemed to work. Is there any...
  6. my friends told me that they can hear my echo but whenever I try to talk it beeps, so I was...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    my friends told me that they can hear my echo but whenever I try to talk it beeps, so I was...: Whenever I’m In party or game my audio works, but whenever I try to talk it doesn’t work and my friends told me that they can hear my echo but whenever I try to talk it beeps, so I was wondering...
  7. Why is my headset causing friends to hear a echo while it's muted?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why is my headset causing friends to hear a echo while it's muted?: My headset causes my friends in party chat to hear a echo even when it is muted. I have tried multiple different controllers and headsets and the problem persists....
  8. Friends can hear their own echo in Xbox party chat and in each specific game chat only when...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Friends can hear their own echo in Xbox party chat and in each specific game chat only when...: I have the Series X and a Hyperx Cloud Alpha headset. I bought this recently when my Hyperx Cloud 2 headset stopped working. When this issue started happening, I thought it was my new Cloud Alpha...
  9. Xbox party issue: friends can hear an echo from my mic but I can't.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox party issue: friends can hear an echo from my mic but I can't.: A short while ago I bought a new controller to replace one with some drift on a thumbstick. It also works wonders for volume since it gets past the greyed out volume settings for moly older...
  10. My friends hear a echo when playing with me.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My friends hear a echo when playing with me.: My friends constantly complain about emensely disturbing echo when I'm in the party chat. I've searched online for help and looked through all the xbox one settings and didn't find anything. I...