I have a question about transferring data from an unofficial Xbox 360 HDD to an official one.

Discus and support I have a question about transferring data from an unofficial Xbox 360 HDD to an official one. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So, to give some backstory, the hard drive I've had in my 360 for years has started to fail. I didn't want to lose the data I had on there, so I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by AldarBeedo, Oct 18, 2023.

1. AldarBeedo
    AldarBeedo Guest

I have a question about transferring data from an unofficial Xbox 360 HDD to an official one.

So, to give some backstory, the hard drive I've had in my 360 for years has started to fail. I didn't want to lose the data I had on there, so I decided to buy a transfer cable and a replacement HDD (decided to go for an official 500gb one to give myself some more breathing room). Today, the replacement finally arrived, but as I pulled out the old hard drive, I was shocked to learn that it was third-party.

For most people, I can imagine this wouldn't be an issue, but for me, it is. This is because you can't play original Xbox games on the Xbox 360 without an official hard drive, and there are a few OG Xbox games I want to play that aren't in the Xbox One BC program (and I don't have an OG Xbox, so the 360 is currently my only option for those games).

And that's not the only problem. I've never done a HDD data transfer for the Xbox 360 before, so I don't have a great grasp on the intricate details, and there's one thing in particular I've heard that worries me: the hard drive being transferred to will be wiped to make room for the old hard drive's data.

This worries me because the hard drive I'm going to be transferring to -- the official 500gb one -- is the only one I have that can play OG Xbox games, so I need to know that transferring the data from my old, third party hard drive to my new, official hard drive won't wipe whatever enables the official hard drive to play original Xbox games.

In Summary: Will transferring data from a third party hard drive to an official hard drive wipe whatever enables official hard drives to play OG Xbox games?

:)

AldarBeedo, Oct 18, 2023
  2. IceStorm III Win User

Orignial Xbox Hard Drive Formating Issue

[quote user="Krazymonkey101"]Whilst speaking to a support advisor about transfering data they confirmed that i would be able to use my old xbox hard drive like a USB device to enlarge the memory of the 4GB xbox.[/quote]Support is incorrect. Official 360
    HDD transfer cables don't allow for that functionality. With an official cable, the console correctly recognizes the drive as a 360 drive and prevents it from being formatted.

32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drives are going for $17-$20. You're better off with one of those than you are with finding an unofficial transfer cable to wreck a 360 HDD. Sell the 360 HDD (or see what GameStop will offer as a trade-in) and you should be able to make
    the money back.

Original 360 HDDs are a rare commodity. USB Flash Drives are not.
  3. IceStorm III Win User

Transferring files from E68 hdd to new hdd on xbox360

[quote user="dukeroc"]Is there any way I can transfer files from my E 68 hdd to my new one.[/quote]If the problem is confined to the area used for booting, perhaps. Hook it up via an official transfer cable and see.
    1 more question also, do you have
    to use the microsoft transfer cables or can you use any?
    Unofficial cables are not recognized properly. The 360 will offer to format the drive. Doing so destroys the custom partitioning and security data applied to the drive at the factory.
  4. FrostXenoB Win User

Issue transferring content from drive to drive

while everyone is on the subject of transferring data, i have a question. i have an older Xbox 360 with the snap in hard drive, is it possible if i buy a new console with the hdd built in if i can transfer the data from the old hdd to the new hdd? and if
    so, how would i go about doing this? thanks in advance.
  5. Craig TG Win User

Better Way for Downloading content

Have you tried using an Xbox HDD transfer cable? It transfers all content from one HDD to the next HDD. I used one to transfer all my data from my Elite 360 to my MW3 360. It worked beautifully.
  6. Danno McK. Win User

transfer cables

Smwutches is correct; I jumped to the conclusion that tequilahitman
    was asking about transferring between two 360S HDDs. But you can still use a
    Microsoft HDD Transfer Cable to move data from an original 360 HDD to a 360S console. (Don't use a 3rd party cable; it won't work, and you're at risk of permanently formatting the old HDD as a "USB storage device" rather than an official Xbox HDD.)
Thema:

1. I have a question about transferring data from an unofficial Xbox 360 HDD to an official one. - Similar Threads - question transferring data

2. Question regarding transferring memory between 2 pcs

in XBoX on Consoles
    Question regarding transferring memory between 2 pcs: Hello, I have a question regarding transferring memory, specifically windows. I have 2 pcs. The first one has 3 forms of memory. 1 hard-rive and two SSDS. On the hard-rive I have windows and other...
  3. Question about transferring minecraft to another account

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Question about transferring minecraft to another account: Hope you all are having a great day! So in early 2022 i got Minecraft for Windows 10 (now its a bundle with java and bedrock) and i got a new Microsoft account mid 2022 and wanted to transfer...
  4. If I have a question how do I transfer my xbox one games to my xbox S if I can't get my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    If I have a question how do I transfer my xbox one games to my xbox S if I can't get my...: Some help would be greatly appreciated. How do I transfer my xbox One games to my Xbox s if The original xbox one won't stay on. It won't turn on stay on for longer than 2 sec I have literally 200...
  5. Question about how to transfer Xbox Game Pass games from old PC hard drive into new PC.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Question about how to transfer Xbox Game Pass games from old PC hard drive into new PC.: Hi, I have a question about how to transfer Xbox Game Pass game files from my old PC(Win10) hard drive into new PC(Win11) without re-downloading all over again? My new PC is gonna arrive by next...
  6. Xbox one to Xbox s transfer question

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one to Xbox s transfer question: My late husbands xbox one has just died and i think i wil replace it with the new s series, his old xbox wont turn on anymore but id still like to keep all his old games and content. Is it...
  7. Xbox 360 Elite Hard Drive Transfer Question

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Elite Hard Drive Transfer Question: Can I use my 120GB HDD from my Xbox 360 Elite system on another 360 Elite system and still have all of my data intact? 559b0236-cbe0-40c9-8871-a216d840e56a
  8. xbox screen name and assets transfer question

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox screen name and assets transfer question: can i set up a child account for my child and transfer my xbox screen name and purchases in fortnite to his account in fortnite ? I originally set it up under my name and account but now I have...
  9. Noob question about Saves transfer to Xbox One

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Noob question about Saves transfer to Xbox One: Hello! This question might have been already questioned or answered. Sorry if im repeating what been told. Anyway i got Xbox One S console, never had console in my life before. I was always...
  10. Question about data transfer.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Question about data transfer.: I had a question about license transfer that I was hoping someone can help me out with. I already have a Xbox 360 for my family but I'm looking to buy a second one for myself.My son & I have...