I can't format my new external hard drive for my xbox one.

Discus and support I can't format my new external hard drive for my xbox one. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I bought a Seagate 4 tb external hard drive, but my dashboard isn't coming up when I try to format the drive. Any idea why?... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by UncleJas-[xboxvenue], Dec 2, 2016.

1. I can't format my new external hard drive for my xbox one.

I bought a Seagate 4 tb external hard drive, but my dashboard isn't coming up when I try to format the drive. Any idea why?

:)

UncleJas-[xboxvenue], Dec 2, 2016
  2. gdawgbball23
    gdawgbball23 Guest
    External Hard Drive for XOne and PC?

Hi,

I am looking into a new external hard drive for my Xbox one but before I purchased I wanted to know if an external drive that I format for my Xbox will also work to backup my PC?

Thanks

gdawgbball23, Dec 2, 2016
  3. denixius
    denixius Guest
    Can I Use Xbox 360 External Hard Drive for Xbox One

Hi,

Okay. I can't find any hard drive special for Xbox One in my counry. Then one more question; can I use any external hard drive for Xbox One. If I can, just I need to format it for Xbox One. Am I right?

denixius, Dec 2, 2016
  4. I can't format my new external hard drive for my xbox one.

Try plugging it into a Windows computer, completely reformat the drive (preferably NTFS), and then try to plug it into your Xbox.

Internet Expert, Dec 2, 2016
  5. denixius Win User

Can I Use Xbox 360 External Hard Drive for Xbox One

Hi,

Okay. I can't find any hard drive special for Xbox One in my counry. Then one more question; can I use any external hard drive for Xbox One. If I can, just I need to format it for Xbox One. Am I right?
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Copy files from Mac to Xbox One external HDD ?

Hi,

Not sure what you wanted to do here, could you elaborate?

As for external hard drives, you can't partition them for use as both external storage for games and for use with your Mac or PC. You can use an external hard drive on the Xbox One as a media drive, though.

If you format an external hard drive for Xbox One games storage, the whole drive is formatted and the file system is changed.
  7. Internet Expert Win User

Try plugging it into a Windows computer, completely reformat the drive (preferably NTFS), and then try to plug it into your Xbox.
  8. gds1972 Win User

Xbox one file system

Hi

I don't know what file format Xbox One uses with external hard drives but when you first connect a drive the console should offer to format the drive for games (If it meets the specs), With my Xbox One I have both a 2TB and 4TB external hard drives connected
    and working without any issues for playing games.
  9. Internet Expert Win User

My Xbox One will not format my external

If you have a Windows PC, connect the external hard drive to it and give it a reformat. Sometimes, people need to give a hard drive an extra reformat on the computer because it's currently in a format that the Xbox cannot change (for some reason).

- Connect the external HDD to the PC.

- Go to "My Computer" (Win+E)

- Right click the external hard drive, and select "Format..."

- Ensure it formats to "NTFS", leave all other settings the way they are.

- After it finishes, attempt to format the drive on the Xbox again.

NOTE: If your external hard drive came pre-formatted with more than one partition, you will need to reformat the entire drive so it has one and only one NTFS partition. You can manage disk partitions via "Disk Management" in Windows.

Hope this helps!
Thema:

1. I can't format my new external hard drive for my xbox one. - Similar Threads - can't format external

2. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  3. Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox: Hello, I have a problem with my external SSD. I have an Xbox Series S, and my Xbox sees my external SSD Samsung portable SSD T5 with 2 tb but only for media, there is no option to use it for...
  4. I can't use my hard drive to install Xbox games, it says it isn't formatted as NTFS even...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't use my hard drive to install Xbox games, it says it isn't formatted as NTFS even...: [img] [img] Please help, I don't want to use my C: drive since it doesn't have that much storage. c517403b-05c4-4e77-a535-8092e3cddf67
  5. Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!: If you have an external storage hard drive previously used for Xbox One games data and instead wanna use it on Windows, please note that it's no use to just format the drive to erase all the data....
  6. DVD not working; want to get a couple games in Digital format but can't find them

in XBoX Games and Apps
    DVD not working; want to get a couple games in Digital format but can't find them: I hadn't used my XBox360 in a couple years (really my son's Xbox that I inherited when he moved out), and when I tried to use it, it would not read any of my game DVDs. When I chose "Open Tray",...
  7. Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One: Hi everyone I am getting really ticked off with trying to use my WD Elements hard drive for my Xbox One. I just formatted it from the apple file system to NTFS and it showed up as a media drive....
  8. Xbox Game Pass Format Sonrası Oyunları Görmeme Hatası / Xbox Game Pass can't see my games...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Pass Format Sonrası Oyunları Görmeme Hatası / Xbox Game Pass can't see my games...: Xbox Game Pass kullanıcısıyım ve oyunlarımı D: klasörüne yüklüyorum. Bugün bilgisayarıma yani C: diskine format attım. Xbox'a girdim ve yüklemiş olduğum oyunların görünmediğini fark ettim. Oyunlar...
  9. Can't Format an external HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Format an external HDD: I have a 2T, Toshiba, USB3.0, external HDD, formatted to NTFS, for use on a Xbox ONE S. I have plugged it into each of the USB sockets, and each time the drive is seen, but only for captures and...
  10. Não consigo formatar meu Xbox One[I can't format my Xbox One]

in XBoX on Consoles
    Não consigo formatar meu Xbox One[I can't format my Xbox One]: Há cerca de um ano meu console apresentou um problema em que ele ligava porém não iniciava. Levei numa assistência técnica e o técnico não conseguiu resolver o problema também. Ele achou que meu...