I can't change my gamertag!

Discus and support I can't change my gamertag! in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; So the other day I wanted to change my gamertag. I knew that I needed to pay as i had used my free change. I am connected via Microsoft family to my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by JackAussieswede, Oct 3, 2018.

1. I can't change my gamertag!

So the other day I wanted to change my gamertag. I knew that I needed to pay as i had used my free change. I am connected via Microsoft family to my dad so I asked him to add the needed amount to the account. I went to the Xbox
    app and it took me to the designated page. It said that I needed permission so my dad accepted, this is were the problem starts. He could not accept it without adding more money, even though we already had the needed amount. So we backed out and turned off
    the "needs pemission feature" and thought we will just have to pay directly, no big deal (except our money being stuck in the account). But when I went to add my debit card it said I needed an US address. I live in Sweden so you an see the issue. At this stage
    we contacted Microsoft support and manged to change my region. We went back and tried both and nothing changed. It still took me to the US web page and dad could not continue without adding more money.

So I am wondering if someone has had the same issue and how or if you managed to solve it. This is really bugging me as my gamertag is old and I cant stand another day of being teased by my friends.

/Jack

:)

JackAussieswede, Oct 3, 2018
  2. Takeda93
    Takeda93 Guest
    I Can't Change my gamertag

I have an account that I use since some years ago which I changed changed it's gamertag once but now I have to pay!

My problem is that when I enter to the Microsoft page to change my gamertag, it gets stuck on "Order" and doesn't proceed to make the respective payment and my gamertag remains the same.

I don't know what to do because I tried already with different browsers and even from an Xbox 360... I cannot try with an Xbox one because I don't own one...

Takeda93, Oct 3, 2018
  3. RainyH2O
    RainyH2O Guest
    I can't change my gamertag

And my gamertag is , I hope I can use it as usual.

RainyH2O, Oct 3, 2018
  4. WPAK
    WPAK Guest

Hi there,

please double check both the child and parent account if they are indeed connected to Sweden, you should be able to check the region via this link for an account:

https://live.xbox.com/Account/BillingAccountInformation

If that still shows Sweden then you will have to Migrate the account via the steps mentioned here:

https://live.xbox.com/AccountMigration
    I'm not sure this will work for a child account or what exactly will happen, so you might want to consult Xbox Support if the account is indeed still connected to US.

If the accounts are both Sweden, then be sure to check the country in bottom left corner when you are trying to change the GT that it matches your region.

Also be sure to check if the Gamertag change can be done via the website:
    https://account.xbox.com/CustomizeProfile

(be sure to double check the region in bottom left corner)

Let us know the results

WPAK, Oct 3, 2018
  5. Ok,thank you I will try it and se what happens.

6. Arminator
    Arminator Guest
    If your account is set to US as region, be aware that all prices shown for the US are WITHOUT sales tax. Depending on the state your US address is in, you need to add the state dependent sales tax to get the actual price you'll have to pay for the Gamertag
    change.

However, since you say you are actually in Sweden, follow the instructions that WPAK described or contact the official Xbox support again to migrate your account to the country of Sweden properly.

Arminator, Oct 3, 2018
  7. Thanks, I'll try ot as soon as possible. The funny thing is that when we contacted Microsoft support the first time round they helped us migrate the account to sweden. Should I possibly try to sign in and out of the app on my PC to se if it makes a difference.
    Because every time I try I get redirected to the US page.

8. braveheatz
    braveheatz Guest

braveheatz, Oct 3, 2018
  9. WPAK
    WPAK Guest
    Hi,

yes that is always worth the shot, also keep in mind that a Migration doesn't have to be instant and could even take quite some time to be fully complete. This process can take days.

WPAK, Oct 3, 2018
  10. Arminator
    Arminator Guest
    Arminator, Oct 4, 2018
  11. Hi again, thanks for everyoneae tips and tricks. I got directed to the US page but re-wrote the region tag in the URL to sv-SE. This eventually forced it to let me pay the fe withwithout using an US sddress. Thanks again everyone I can't change my gamertag! :)

JackAussieswede, Oct 4, 2018
  12. Arminator
    Arminator Guest
    In that case it could be that a cookie for the Xbox domain is incorrectly set.

Try the following:

Visit any Xbox related site, and scroll down to the bottom.

You should see a world-icon with the country next to it. Click on that, and set the page to Swedish.

If you have cookies allowed, you should from now on automatically get to the Swedish locale of the Xbox pages.

Be aware, that if you use the Major Nelson website, know that the links he posts for the weekly sales often lead to the US version of the store still. However if you have set that country cookie before, you should now be asked in a popup if you want to go
    to your local store version, or if you want to stay in the US version of the store.

Arminator, Nov 5, 2018
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: