I bought fallout 3 from steam and it requires GFWL to run. but I get network issues when...

Discus and support I bought fallout 3 from steam and it requires GFWL to run. but I get network issues when... in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hi, I try to install GFWL but it comes back with a msg that I have a network issue. My network itself is fine, but maybe it could be something... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Aernoud van de Graaff, Oct 25, 2020.

1. I bought fallout 3 from steam and it requires GFWL to run. but I get network issues when...

Hi,

I try to install GFWL but it comes back with a msg that I have a network issue. My network itself is fine, but maybe it could be something specific (settings/security, etc.) that goes wrong. However I also get the impression there is something missing at
    your side of the network.

This is the log I get when installing.... It gives a 404 (and with my limited knowledge that seems it links to something that is not there). Also if I go to your support page about problems with GFWL install it links to a page that should have a solution
    that is (no longer??) there.

(11:30:02) Download folder: C:\Users\A. van de Graaf\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive\Downloads

(11:30:02) Already installed: xliveredist.msi

(11:30:02) Already installed: gfwlclient.msi

(11:30:02) Already installed: dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe

(11:30:02) Downloading http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=201788 to C:\Users\A. van de Graaf\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive\Downloads\wllogin_64.msi

(11:30:02) Launching C:\Users\A. van de Graaf\Downloads\gfwlivesetup (8).exe elevated

(11:30:02) Download Status: 302

(11:30:02) Download Status: http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/4/0/740357D6-EFA8-43C1-A7DF-A8EEDD104638/wllogin_64.msi

(11:30:02) Download Status: download.microsoft.com

(11:30:02) Download Status: 92.123.124.137

(11:30:02) HTTP Status Code: 404

(11:30:02) Error downloading. [Code:0x800c0006]

(11:30:02) Download http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=201788 failed [Code:0x800c0008]

:)

Aernoud van de Graaff, Oct 25, 2020
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

I bought fallout 3 from steam and it requires GFWL to run. but I get network issues when installing GFWL

Hi

Fallout 3 on Steam no longer needs GFWL and you can strip it out. I recommend you look at this guide from Steam:

ULTIMATE Fallout 3 Setup Guide READ THIS!

I highly recommend you follow all the instructions in that guide not just the removal of GWL. Fallout 3 can be glitchy and prone to crashes on Windows 10.

The version of Fallout 3 sold on GoG.com already has GFWL striped out, this is the one I own.
  3. XBF Diego M Win User

Steam - Windows Live Gaming - and Windows 10...ick!

Hi Innoccu35,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. I'd be happy to provide some information.

The Games for Windows Live service has not been updated since 2014 and most game copies purchased from that marketplace will have issues logging in to the service if you bought them through Steam. Many game developers abandoned GFWL, allowing you to
    redeem a non-GFWL copy or install a patch that removes GFWL through Steam. But not all of them have. For example, Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City still use GFWL, as
    does Bethesda’s Fallout 3. Bethesda never seemed to patch Fallout 3 to remove the GFWL license so that you can play on Steam without signing in to your Microsoft Account and that is why it still asks you to sign in to GFWL even though
    the service is no longer supported.

I came across some helpful threads that have solutions on how to play Fallout 3 you've bought from Steam on a Windows 10 computer:

I hope this helps!
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Games for Windows Live installer fails - can't run fallout 3

Hi,

Try the guide on the
    Steam forums
    , it contains a link for GFWL and then explains how to remove it from the game as it's no longer required now.

After you've done this you'll need to check the rest of the guide as without the other fixes, Fallout 3 can be unstable on Windows 10.

Fallout 3 for PC sold on GoG.com no longer has GFWL included. It also has the stability fixes pre-installed.
  5. Ackis Win User

GFWL Client broken again

Of course this is up to the publishers. When you bought the game it was for GFWL. Not for other platforms. You buy something on Origin, it doesn't mean it'll unlock on Steam. It should if the companies cared,

Some publishers have gone above and beyond to help their customers transition away from GFWL (e.g. Batman games - you enter a GFWL code on Steam and I believe it works). Some publishers have made a conversion process for their games (e.g. Dark Souls). Other
    publishers have left their games to rot.

It sucks, it's frustrating and it ticks me off.

Lets go even further. You bought a GFWL game on Steam. You need the GFWL key in order to play the game. Only way to get that key is through the Steam client itself. Guess what? Some of them don't even have the key available for you to see.

The whole thing is a gong show.

At least we never had a game released on Steam that required you to use uPlay to play a GFWL game?
  6. Keegan2486 Win User

Fable 3 on windows 10

I'm having the same issue, ever since they cancelled GFWL i can't get Fable 3 to verify, though any titles i own on steam that require GFWL seem to have to trouble launching or verifying, and no Fable 3 is not one of those titles. i hope microsoft sees this
    and can get this sorted out or come up with a solution soon cause as it stands i see it as i wasted money on a game that i can no longer play due to third party software that is required but is no longer in service.
Thema:

I bought fallout 3 from steam and it requires GFWL to run. but I get network issues when...

1. I bought fallout 3 from steam and it requires GFWL to run. but I get network issues when... - Similar Threads - bought fallout steam

2. Bought new Fallout GOTY and i don’ get addons

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Bought new Fallout GOTY and i don’ get addons: Hi there. A while ago i got the disc version of fallout 4 GOTY with all expansions. When i wasn’t playing for some time, i uninstalled the game (but kept my save games). Now i installed it again...
  3. So I’m downloading Fallout 3 on my Xbox one I bought the digital version and the dlcs but...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    So I’m downloading Fallout 3 on my Xbox one I bought the digital version and the dlcs but...: All it’s saying is that I don’t own the dlcs in my save files on my Xbox one but I got the dlcs downloaded 9c2d703c-a289-49ac-aa0e-a944f5f4137e
  4. I bought Fallout 4 Game of the Year Edition and all the add-ons on the home menu are faded...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I bought Fallout 4 Game of the Year Edition and all the add-ons on the home menu are faded...: I already put my question but for some reason in order to submit it I have to put a message. I don't know what that's for so I will just put my question I bought Fallout 4 Game of the Year Edition...
  5. I bought the Fallout 76: Appalachia Starter Bundle (PC), but the atoms did not arrive,...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I bought the Fallout 76: Appalachia Starter Bundle (PC), but the atoms did not arrive,...: I bought the Fallout 76: Appalachia Starter Bundle (PC), but the atoms did not arrive, although it was connected to Bethesta on Xbox in Fallout 76 on Steam. 8e322933-88c4-4c22-a9e6-76e4984fceb6
  6. so i bought fallout for pc and my laptop wont run it so can i download it to a flashdrive...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    so i bought fallout for pc and my laptop wont run it so can i download it to a flashdrive...: so i bought fallout for pc and my laptop wont run it so can i download it to a flashdrive and play it on xbox 360 857b4f9d-3d5a-4f28-9366-131587469e5e
  7. I bought some atoms on fallout 76 and I haven’t received my currency

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I bought some atoms on fallout 76 and I haven’t received my currency: I bought some currency on fallout 76 and it is not giving me what I bought 2580327c-e167-4258-89e4-8b9e977e31aa
  8. Just bought a bundle for fallout 76

in XBoX on Windows
    Just bought a bundle for fallout 76: Even though it is a universal add on like how they are in other games like how siege has the pack for all year 1 operators and that can be accessible on multiple profiles this should work the same...
  9. Fallout 4 bought online on my xbox one

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Fallout 4 bought online on my xbox one: So i've got fallout 4 online in the game store on my xbox one. From the first moment i played it i noticed alot of bugs and strait on color/ texture glitches, but sinds yesterday when the game...
  10. Bought fallout 3 on my Xbox one now I can't save game or sign in

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Bought fallout 3 on my Xbox one now I can't save game or sign in: I have a Xbox One. I bought Fallout 3 in the Store, installed it and then it showed "retrieving Xbox 360 profile". I haven't owned a Xbox 360 in over 3 years when I did have the game on disc. Now...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=201788 failed [Code:0x800c0008]