Hulu not working Surround Sound

Discus and support Hulu not working Surround Sound in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello Community, I would like to consider myself a Techie but when I setup my Xbox One I got for a present I only ran into frustration and issues.... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Silvamord, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Silvamord
    Silvamord Guest

Hello Community,

I would like to consider myself a Techie but when I setup my Xbox One I got for a present I only ran into frustration and issues.

Equipment & Setup:

Xbox One plugged into a Sony Receiver via HDMI. Receiver plugged into TV via HDMI cable.

Xbox One set to 5.1 uncompressed (as suggested via researching this online). Receiver states 3/2.1 PCM - I set it to PLII Movie, thus 5.1 Surround Sound.

Issue:

Hulu app will not play 5.1 surround sound, only FL & FR speakers.

Previews on a Blu-Ray wouldn't play 5.1 surround sound but the actual movie would.

Pandora will only play through FL & FR speakers, no sub.

Netflix will play 5.1 surround sound. Games will play 5.1 surround sound.

Confusion:

Why are some items playing surround sound and others are not? My previous console had no issues playing Hulu at 5.1 surround sound with same HDMI setup. My other devices I'm using on the receiver are playing 5.1 surround sound just fine.

Seeking help with this. I would hate to return the Xbox One due to something as trivial as Audio. Especially since a device as simple as my Chromcast and PS3 had no issues whatsoever. But if I can't solve this within the week I will have to return for a
    PS4.

Thank you ahead of time for your help and support with this,

Tom

:)

Silvamord, Jan 4, 2016
  2. XB1 Surround Sound Issue

The Xbox One doesn't currently output surround sound. However, Microsoft is working on it and will be updating the Xbox One to output in surround sound soon.

support.xbox.com/.../digital-sound-not-working

The Lion Turtle, Jan 4, 2016
  3. Reddawn1979
    Reddawn1979 Guest
    Onkyo Surround Sound set up for Xbox One

Love my surround sound system and I get Awesome Surround Sound when I play games and when I watch Bluray/DVDs.

When I switch to apps like SlingTV, Netflix, Amazon and HULU, I get only two channel/speakers working. I've seen posts about this from two years ago. So, I am hoping you have figured out a fix for this already.

How do I fix this?

Reddawn1979, Jan 4, 2016
  4. iNb4 Ownage
    iNb4 Ownage Guest

iNb4 Ownage, Jan 5, 2016
  5. Silvamord
    Silvamord Guest
    Thank you for the reply but this did not solve my issue. The links all speak to the basic setting options. I have tried every HDMI option within the settings and I get the same results.

Problem:

Hulu will not do 5.1 surround sound, no matter which option I pick. Either FR/FL no sub or just center.

Pandora will not play 5.1 surround sound only stereo FR/FL, no sub.

BUT- Netflix, Movies (except previews, which makes zero sense) and games do play just fine 5.1 Surround Sound.

I tested multiple HDMI ports and settings, even different HDMI cables.

I also plugged in my Chromecast to the same port from up stairs, zero issues, everything plays beautifully.

So at this point all I can figure is it is settings with the Xbox One not being able to transmit 5.1 surround sound on all of its apps (i.e. Hulu, Pandora).

I'm at my ends, really hoping someone who uses surround sound with a receiver and uses Hulu might be able to chime in.

Silvamord, Jan 6, 2016
  6. iNb4 Ownage
    iNb4 Ownage Guest
    Hey there!

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry those links didn't do any good. It sounds like the problem is with the app itself. Yes the apps are on Xbox, but the apps are technically supported by the developer of the app. There may be a setting inside of the specific app that need to be enabled.
    I recommend reaching out to Pandora Support or Hulu Support to see what they have to say. They may not support that setup. It is not an Xbox problem if other apps are working fine.

Cheers!

iNb4 Ownage, Jan 6, 2016
  7. iNb4 Ownage
    iNb4 Ownage Guest
    Looks like from what I found on Hulu and using a search engine is the following information from Hulu. Hulu itself does NOT support 5.1 surround sound

By comparison, Amazon offers 5.1 encoding on select content, and Hulu is limited to stereo sound, despite many network television shows offering 5.1 surround sound.

Cheers!

iNb4 Ownage, Jan 6, 2016
  8. Silvamord
    Silvamord Guest

While Hulu doesn't support surround 5.1 by default my other devices, like Chromcast, play it in 5.1. I'm pretty sure Microsoft has the ability to allow audio filtering like Chromcast and PS3 do through a receiver. I wanted one device to do it all.

Not a jab at you iNb4, I do appreciate your help and glad I was able to figure out I wasn't going crazy Hulu not working Surround Sound :)

Silvamord, Jan 7, 2016
  9. Sabiorey
    Sabiorey Guest
    I've been trying to troubleshoot this exact issue and have also come to the conclusion that it is specifically a problem with the Hulu app itself that needs to be fixed by the coders. Xbox seems to have nothing to do with it. All games and most other apps
    on the Xbox one play 5.1 surround just fine. And Hulu, when played through either the PC or AppleTV (both connected to my Sony HD audio receiver) also plays 5.1 surround just fine. Only on the Xbox app does it not. This means that I have to use my AppleTV
    or other device to stream Hulu instead of the Xbox if I want the full surroundsound :-( very lame indeed :-(

Sabiorey, Jan 23, 2016
  10. Dr GONZO 505
    Dr GONZO 505 Guest
    Are you having the same issue with all of the music apps as well? I am experiencing the same issue and have found no actual answer. Same deal, decent Sony Amp HDMI connecrion to Xbox one. Movies app, tv app, and netflix all work surround DTS just fine,
    but not Groove, Pandora, Hulu or Utube. I have changed every setting on the Amp and on the xbox and mixed all of the combinations with the same result.

Dr GONZO 505, Feb 21, 2016
  11. g0013y
    g0013y Guest
    g0013y, May 10, 2016
  12. Mister Maka
    Mister Maka Guest
    Hey there g0013y!

Thanks for the info and helping out Hulu not working Surround Sound :) If you have any Xbox support questions please create a new thread and let us know. Please make sure not to bump older threads, as this is from a few months ago.

Thank you Hulu not working Surround Sound :)

Mister Maka, Nov 1, 2018
  13. iNb4 Ownage Win User

Looks like from what I found on Hulu and using a search engine is the following information from Hulu. Hulu itself does NOT support 5.1 surround sound

By comparison, Amazon offers 5.1 encoding on select content, and Hulu is limited to stereo sound, despite many network television shows offering 5.1 surround sound.

Cheers!
  14. Silvamord Win User

Thank you for the reply but this did not solve my issue. The links all speak to the basic setting options. I have tried every HDMI option within the settings and I get the same results.

Problem:

Hulu will not do 5.1 surround sound, no matter which option I pick. Either FR/FL no sub or just center.

Pandora will not play 5.1 surround sound only stereo FR/FL, no sub.

BUT- Netflix, Movies (except previews, which makes zero sense) and games do play just fine 5.1 Surround Sound.

I tested multiple HDMI ports and settings, even different HDMI cables.

I also plugged in my Chromecast to the same port from up stairs, zero issues, everything plays beautifully.

So at this point all I can figure is it is settings with the Xbox One not being able to transmit 5.1 surround sound on all of its apps (i.e. Hulu, Pandora).

I'm at my ends, really hoping someone who uses surround sound with a receiver and uses Hulu might be able to chime in.
  15. g0013y Win User

16. Sabiorey Win User

I've been trying to troubleshoot this exact issue and have also come to the conclusion that it is specifically a problem with the Hulu app itself that needs to be fixed by the coders. Xbox seems to have nothing to do with it. All games and most other apps
    on the Xbox one play 5.1 surround just fine. And Hulu, when played through either the PC or AppleTV (both connected to my Sony HD audio receiver) also plays 5.1 surround just fine. Only on the Xbox app does it not. This means that I have to use my AppleTV
    or other device to stream Hulu instead of the Xbox if I want the full surroundsound :-( very lame indeed :-(
  17. iNb4 Ownage Win User

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry those links didn't do any good. It sounds like the problem is with the app itself. Yes the apps are on Xbox, but the apps are technically supported by the developer of the app. There may be a setting inside of the specific app that need to be enabled.
    I recommend reaching out to Pandora Support or Hulu Support to see what they have to say. They may not support that setup. It is not an Xbox problem if other apps are working fine.

Cheers!
Thema:

1. Hulu not working Surround Sound - Similar Threads - Hulu working Surround

2. When streaming anything (Hulu, DIsney+, MAX, Paramount+, etc.) there is significant video...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When streaming anything (Hulu, DIsney+, MAX, Paramount+, etc.) there is significant video...: I know this isn't a network issue as we have tested the modem connection (both upload and download), and have streamed things from laptops and phones. They don't appear to be the issue. We have...
  3. i cannot download hulu

in XBoX on Windows
    i cannot download hulu: When ever i’m trying to download it’s says “looks like you already own this. Go to my games and apps, or library on your home device, to download it. if you’re gaming from the cloud, it should be...
  4. Xbox not loading any streaming apps (Netflix, Hulu, Prime)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox not loading any streaming apps (Netflix, Hulu, Prime): For the last week, my Xbox One will not let me use any of my streaming apps (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc).. It’s not my internet as I can go on Microsoft Edge and watch YouTube videos and browse the...
  5. Omg I need help with Hulu and Netflix it shows green screen but I can still play games

in XBoX on Windows
    Omg I need help with Hulu and Netflix it shows green screen but I can still play games: I was watching Hulu last night and all of a sudden I got a green screen and you can still hear people talking same thing with Netflix but yet I can still play video games and watch other streaming...
  6. Hulu Does Not Work On Alpha Ring XB1X At All

in XboX Insiders
    Hulu Does Not Work On Alpha Ring XB1X At All: Was trying to watch something while I eat and every time I try to launch Hulu it says I should restart my Xbox. I have done this 4 times in a row and now my food is cold and Hulu Still won't...
  7. Hulu wont work

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hulu wont work: hulu wont work on my xbox 360 gives me a code from hulu ERROR97 32da8384-2e95-4fc9-8869-c09091550db7
  8. Netflix and Hulu navigation type voice commands no longer work.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Netflix and Hulu navigation type voice commands no longer work.: I noticed it after the update that brought us Cortana that I could no use any of the menu navigation commands in Hulu or Netflix. I've done full restarts and such and have switched between regular...
  9. Hulu subtitles no longer work

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hulu subtitles no longer work: As the title says, when watching a episode or movie that has an option to turn subtitles on/off, the subtitles will not appear period. I've hard booted my console and didn't fix the problem. The...
  10. Sign up for Hulu Plus 3 month trial does not work and hasn't for the past month.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Sign up for Hulu Plus 3 month trial does not work and hasn't for the past month.: When you attempt to sign up you can't confirm your password before the app checks that you entered you confirmed password and there does not seem to be a workaround. Please fix this or stop...