How to transfer games from hard drive to series X

Discus and support How to transfer games from hard drive to series X in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I recently got an Xbox series X and gave the Xbox one to my son. I wanted to move the games from the external hard drive to the internal storage of the... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Kolbie Vaughn, Jan 3, 2024.

1. How to transfer games from hard drive to series X

I recently got an Xbox series X and gave the Xbox one to my son. I wanted to move the games from the external hard drive to the internal storage of the series X but my husband thought we could copy them. I figured that wouldn’t work and it didn’t. Those games now have a caution sign and it wouldn’t let me play, saying I don’t own the game. So I tried to move the games instead and it said that those games are already installed. So I uninstalled them from the X and went to the hard drive again to move them and all of those games still have a caution game. I own the games. I bought all of them when I had the Xbox one and now I just want to play them on the X. I planned to buy a second copy of games that my son also wants, but it’s now not letting me have them at all on the X, even with the hard drive plugged into it.

:)

Kolbie Vaughn, Jan 3, 2024
  2. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Pre download Xbox Series X games

Not really...

Xbox Series X games / upgrades / updates has to be installed onto the Series X internal or expansion card SSD,

You can have Xbox One games on your external hard drive that will get an Series X upgrade but the games will need to be transferred to the Series X and then the Series X upgrade will need to be downloaded onto the Series X SSD,

As an example...

I have Marvel Avengers on my external hard drive that will get the Series X upgrade and I will transfer the game over to the Series X SSD ready to download and update the game to the Series X version when available.
  3. Smwutches Win User

Transfer games with a seagate harddrive from old gen xbox to new gen xbox.

If the games are Series X optimized, you will need to transfer them to the internal hard drive on the Series X in order to play them, but as Obsessive Power stated, you can just plug the hard drive in and not have to redownload anything.
  4. Smwutches Win User

External Drive storage

Then yeah, you can plug it into the new console and use it like that or transfer from the hard drive. Any games that are optimized for the Series S/X will not run from that drive, but you can store them on it. So you may have some games that will have to be moved to the internal drive on the Series S.
  5. HomegrownSilky Win User

Yes they are all digital games. Maybe the problem is with the profiles. My husband left his profile on the old Xbox and let my son have it. He created a new profile for himself and I kept my old profile. The only thing that doesn’t make sense is both my husband and i could play the games on the old Xbox, even if his profile was logged out completely. I feel like the profile or console shouldn’t matter if the games on owned and on the hard drive.
    The game purchases are tied to the account that made them. Using the old account that was given to your son, sign in on the new console and have that old account set the new console as "Home". This will allow that accounts content to be shared to the new console. Only set the console to Home with that account and not others. Once the account has set that console to Home, the account can be either removed from that console or you can turn off auto login for that account so that the two consoles aren't trying to sign in to the same account.
  6. HomegrownSilky Win User

Do the games not show up in the games library of the new console when the account that purchased them is signed in? These are all digitally purchased games and not disc based installs, correct?
Thema:

1. How to transfer games from hard drive to series X - Similar Threads - transfer games hard

2. Transfer my game saves from XBOX One to an external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Transfer my game saves from XBOX One to an external hard drive: Howdy, I want to transfer my old game saves data from my XBOX One onto an external hard drive. I have already formatted an external hard drive (EHD) to use but I can currently only copy the DLC...
  3. Progress bar won’t start when trying to transfer game to a hard drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Progress bar won’t start when trying to transfer game to a hard drive: I’m trying to move a game from my internal storage to my hard drive and it saying installing but when I check it it says “moving” and the percent stays at 0.0%. I don’t really know what else to...
  4. Game won’t transfer into my internal hard drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game won’t transfer into my internal hard drive: I bought 2k24 for the Xbox series X and I downloaded it onto my hard drive and then I had to move it into my Xbox and it is saying installation stopped every time I try to resume my game and I...
  5. Can I download games on hard drive, then transfer them to my xbox series x ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can I download games on hard drive, then transfer them to my xbox series x ?: Hi There are a lot of games that i can't download on my xbox since they are too big, like starfield, flight simulator, or forza. I am travelling in a few days and i will have good wifi, but i...
  6. Why will my external hard drive not transfer games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why will my external hard drive not transfer games?: My external hard drive that I got for my Xbox s was working fine and transferring games, now it is not working. When I go to transfer a game it will download at a high speed then drop and stop the...
  7. Question about how to transfer Xbox Game Pass games from old PC hard drive into new PC.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Question about how to transfer Xbox Game Pass games from old PC hard drive into new PC.: Hi, I have a question about how to transfer Xbox Game Pass game files from my old PC(Win10) hard drive into new PC(Win11) without re-downloading all over again? My new PC is gonna arrive by next...
  8. Can you put a game from pc onto a hard drive and transfer it on Xbox?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can you put a game from pc onto a hard drive and transfer it on Xbox?: I've been thinking if there are possible solutions to swap GTA 5 from PC to Xbox and I'm getting desperate.If you can leave a reply thank you. 654879b9-ba18-445b-b47d-bfe3377d76d6
  9. transfer save game data to a external hard drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    transfer save game data to a external hard drive: I have Minecraft on the Xbox one with a updated world, however I'm trying to play the same game on the same profile but unable to sync data for the Minecraft on the new console for the updated...
  10. Can't transfer or copy game saved data from internal hard drive to external hard drive.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't transfer or copy game saved data from internal hard drive to external hard drive.: Hello everyone! I had to get an external hard drive because I ran out of space on my Xbox One (for some reason it only came with 365 GB of internal hard drive space). However, I transferred all...