How to stop double inputs on my Xbox Series controller on PC?

Discus and support How to stop double inputs on my Xbox Series controller on PC? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I recently purchased an Xbox Series Controller for my PC. When I'm playing games downloaded on the Xbox App or using the Controller on the app itself... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Micol Chambers, Jul 20, 2023.

1. How to stop double inputs on my Xbox Series controller on PC?

I recently purchased an Xbox Series Controller for my PC. When I'm playing games downloaded on the Xbox App or using the Controller on the app itself my inputs will be doubled or just wrong. On Forza Horizon 5, the left stick, which should be for steering only, will also turn my camera. This doesn't happen on a few of the Steam games I've tried, but while playing an emulated game, my right stick inputs will be used to control my mouse, with the triggers counting as clicks. This will happen while I play Forza as well, causing my mouse to venture to my second monitor and make games unplayable. I updated the app through the Xbox accessories app and it has yet to be fixed.

:)

Micol Chambers, Jul 20, 2023
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

What I would do is to exit Steam completely when you are playing an Xbox app game.
    While I can understand that, it shouldn't really be be necessary. If Steam is configured correctly it will not interfere with games from other Launchers, including the Xbox App.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

.....but while playing an emulated game, my right stick inputs will be used to control my mouse, with the triggers counting as clicks. This will happen while I play Forza as well, causing my mouse to venture to my second monitor and make games unplayable. I updated the app through the Xbox accessories app and it has yet to be fixed.
    Sounds like you've got your controller set up as a mouse in Steam. This would explain the behaviour of the buttons as mouse clicks the cursor going over to the second display.

Open Steam. Click on the 'Steam' menu option and go to Settings

[​IMG]

On left hand side, select Controller and in the NON-GAME CONTROLLER LAYOUTS click Edit.

[​IMG]

This is my layout. As you can see, it's disabled. I'm not using my controller as a mouse or as mouse-keyboard setup. If you click on the profile you'll come to another screen (see second screen shot further down)

[​IMG]

In YOUR LAYOUTS see if you have a disabled layout if not, you can open your current layout and disable it.

[​IMG]

If it looks like this, you've got a controller-keyboard config set up. All of the options need to be removed or the profile needs to be deleted.

[​IMG]

You can delete a profile by left clicking on it and choosing delete. Or, you can modify it manually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Micol Chambers Win User

Thanks, I had figured this out myself after posting it. I thought I already had this option disable, but the new steam UI confused me. Thanks for your help!
  5. DiCalzi Win User

What I would do is to exit Steam completely when you are playing an Xbox app game. I had a similar issue recently. I was trying to play Among Us with my controller on my PC and it started rapidly switching between controller and keyboard+mouse input to the point where I could barely move. Steam was open in the background, so I went down to the bottom right of the taskbar and clicked the up arrow, then right clicked Steam and clicked Exit Steam. The reason this happened was because of Steam controller remapping interfering with the direct input of controls to the PC.
  6. Miguel Molina O Win User

Hi, I'm Miguel, community expert, I may not be an employee of Xbox, but I see you need some help, I'm Happy to help you.

Reading more detail about this issue I saw that the best recommendation that Xbox recommend are following these steps by the level of issues.

1. First Recommendation

Power Recycle the controller

Many controller issues can be resolved by putting the controller through a complete power cycle. To power cycle your controller:

Press and hold the Xbox button  for 5-10 seconds, until the controller turns off.

Wait a few seconds, then press and hold the Xbox button  again to turn the controller back on.

2. Update Controller Drivers

f your controller connects when using a USB cable but doesn't stay connected after removing the cable, reconnect the cable and see if there’s an update available for your controller:

Press the Xbox button  to open the guide.

Under Profile & system, select Settings.

Under Devices & connections, select Accessories.

On the Xbox Wireless Controller screen, select “…” to check the firmware version for your controller.

If it says there’s no update available, your controller is current. If it says “Update,” follow the steps provided.

Once your controller is updated, disconnect the USB cable and try connecting wirelessly again.

3.Check your controller button mapping settings

If you’re seeing unexpected controller behavior across all game and apps, it could mean that your controller button configuration has been remapped. To check your current controller button settings:

Press the Xbox button  to open the guide.

Under Profile & system, select Settings.

Under Devices & connections, select Accessories.

On the Xbox Wireless Controller screen, select Configure.

Carefully review the current mapping for each of the buttons on your controller. You can also select Restore to default to set the controller back to its original button mapping.

4. Update last version of Windows

If you’re experiencing no button input in games when using the Xbox Wireless Controller (the one packaged with Xbox Series X|S consoles) with a Bluetooth connection to a Windows device, first make sure that you have the latest Windows update. You can find available Windows updates by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates. You may need to select View optional updates to find the update.

Once you've installed the latest update, you also need to check for additional controller firmware updates using the Xbox Accessories app.
Thema:

1. How to stop double inputs on my Xbox Series controller on PC? - Similar Threads - stop double inputs

2. The audio won't work on my Xbox and my controller won't stop pressing the fake A button

in XBoX on Windows
    The audio won't work on my Xbox and my controller won't stop pressing the fake A button: The audio does not play at all and my controller won't stop pressing A fakely. Is there a way to fix this? f85344fb-cd63-4abb-ac48-68a01636c631
  3. Does anyone know how to stop someone from game sharing off me

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does anyone know how to stop someone from game sharing off me: I had this friend for a while and he wanted a game and i had it and he told me to game share him so i did. Fast forward to now we are no longer friends and i dont want him to have access to me...
  4. The problem with downloading the update is that it stops at the same download rate and then...

in XBoX on Windows
    The problem with downloading the update is that it stops at the same download rate and then...: The problem with downloading the update is that it stops at the same download rate and then restarts the update even though the internet is good. 803fc08c-7ca8-4441-8c0a-137814f5e893
  5. Uhmm why does my downloads stop on GTA 5 at like 30 gigabytes

in XBoX on Windows
    Uhmm why does my downloads stop on GTA 5 at like 30 gigabytes: Every time I download gta 5 it says download has stopped d4fffb6b-187e-4fb2-a8c6-562ce7b7df53
  6. PC Xbox app stopped showing party invites. Forcing us to use Windows Game Bar?

in XboX Insiders
    PC Xbox app stopped showing party invites. Forcing us to use Windows Game Bar?: The kids and I have been using the Xbox app across three PCs for voice chat for Minecraft for a few years. It stopped working recently, but in my efforts to troubleshoot it, I found all the fixes...
  7. Some of the buttons on my Series X controller just stopped working...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Some of the buttons on my Series X controller just stopped working...: Hi! I was playing Forza Horizon 5 when I went back to the Home Screen to do something but after I did that my controller decided it didn't wanna respond to anything unless I was pressing the Xbox...
  8. Game Clips Stop Working

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Game Clips Stop Working: Whenever I take a game clip it always stops working once I upload it to the Xbox Network, whenever I try and access the clip it gives me an error code. The one thing about this is that the only...
  9. How do i fix a double nat error, its stopping me from playing games or streaming

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do i fix a double nat error, its stopping me from playing games or streaming: Someone please help, my xboxs have a doible nat detected which is preventing any games or streaming from working 77a95849-09cd-4ff2-8746-a8be219db461
  10. How can I stop my controller from doing double inputs?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How can I stop my controller from doing double inputs?: My controller randomly started to performing double or triple inputs on all of my buttons. The right stick also slowly drifts upwards everytime I load into a game, but when I move the right stick...