How to set up Xbox 360 so game sound comes through headphones, not TV?

Discus and support How to set up Xbox 360 so game sound comes through headphones, not TV? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey Everyone, Unlike my PS4, this Xbox 360 has no provision for listening to the game audio through headphones plugged into the controller. Is there... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by kharrisma, Jul 15, 2018.

1. kharrisma
    kharrisma Guest

Hey Everyone,

Unlike my PS4, this Xbox 360 has no provision for listening to the game audio through headphones plugged into the controller. Is there some kind of hardware configuration I can use so the game audio (not chat, I don't do online gaming) can be heard only
    through headphones? My TV is an older Visio, with 2 HDMI inputs as well as the older RCA inputs, too. Both HDMI ports are in use (Roku & PS4), so I'd like to use the AV/RCA cable to connect it to the TV. So is there some box or adapter that can go inline
    with the audio output to the TV that will interrupt the audio feed to the TV when the headphones are plugged in, or has a switch (to TV; to Headphones) that will broadcast the audio wirelessly to a wireless headset (which I'd prefer... don't like long cables
    all over the place; that's one place where the PS4 really clobbers the Xbox.) Or something I haven't thought of altogether?

Thanks for any suggestions!

:)

kharrisma, Jul 15, 2018
  2. nagadas
    nagadas Guest
    how do i re route the sound from my tv to just my headphones?

I have my headphones tritton 720 plugged into my new 360 slim through optical cable in back of the slim. I hear both sound coming from my tv through hdmi and my tritton headphones. How do i cut the sound from my tv and just have the sound come through my
    headphones?

nagadas, Jul 15, 2018
  3. How to use headphones only for sound

I want to be able to plug in my headphones into the audio jack on my Xbox one controller and hear sound through my headphones only, everytime i plug in my headphones into the controller the sound comes through the headphones themselves and the tv speakers,
    how do i change that? Thanks

QuickMasta123, Jul 15, 2018
  4. M3tal Daz3
    M3tal Daz3 Guest

I hope you are aware that you trying to use new technology on a console of the old generation (time to upgrade maybe)

That being said I'm sorry to disappoint, but the headphone jack on the 360 controller is for voice communications only. Game sounds, music, etc. are all played through the display device (tv/monitor).

To get the audio from the Xbox to your headset you'll need some sort of converter cable/connector that turns the red/white connector that goes to your tv to the jack that you have on your headset.

M3tal Daz3, Jul 15, 2018
  5. Arminator
    Arminator Guest
    Just like the next generation Playstation 4, the Xbox One is ABLE to give you headphone game sound from the controller.

On the Xbox 360 you are limited to chat sound only.

Also, keep in mind that by using the AV/RCA cable on the Xbox, you do not get HD graphics and are limited to low resolution standard TV resolutions, so you might want to think about investing in an AV receiver with enough HDMI inputs, or getting a HDMI switch.

But as for your sound issue:

If you have an Xbox 360 E model (the rectangular one that looks like the Xbox One), and you're using the AV/RCA plugs, you can get a stereo audio signal from the red and white RCA plugs. You'd "only" need an adapter to go from stereo RCA to any amplifying
    headphone.

Or for the original Xbox 360 or S model, that console also has an optical output. For that, there are some headsets with a base station, that you can use to plug in an optical cable, to be able to get surround sound, that then transmits the sound wirelessly
    to the headphone.

Unfortunately, due to the age of the Xbox 360, a lot of headset makers discontinued such headphones.

You might try to find some leftover stock or an offer on ebay for a Razer Chimera 5.1 headset, Turtle Beach EarForce X42 and the likes, that have a base station. You can plug an optical cable or the stereo RCA plugs into the base station, which then transmits
    the sound wirelessly to the headphone.

Arminator, Jul 15, 2018
  6. kharrisma
    kharrisma Guest
    Thanks for the detailed info, ArminatorX. That's exactly what I was looking for! I picked this thing up for a measley $25, and figured I could finally play games that weren't available on other platforms. I've also managed to snag about a dozen really
    good games for around $5 each, so I'm set for awhile. I like my PS4 a lot, but it can't play any of the Halo games, among others. I do most of my gaming either very early or very late; either way, the wife is asleep, and I'd like to keep her that way. I
    wasn't aware the optical output carried audio as well... that sounds like the best solution by far.

kharrisma, Nov 3, 2018
  7. Arminator Win User

Just like the next generation Playstation 4, the Xbox One is ABLE to give you headphone game sound from the controller.

Also, keep in mind that by using the AV/RCA cable on the Xbox, you do not get HD graphics and are limited to low resolution standard TV resolutions, so you might want to think about investing in an AV receiver with enough HDMI inputs, or getting a HDMI switch.

If you have an Xbox 360 E model (the rectangular one that looks like the Xbox One), and you're using the AV/RCA plugs, you can get a stereo audio signal from the red and white RCA plugs. You'd "only" need an adapter to go from stereo RCA to any amplifying
    headphone.

Or for the original Xbox 360 or S model, that console also has an optical output. For that, there are some headsets with a base station, that you can use to plug in an optical cable, to be able to get surround sound, that then transmits the sound wirelessly
    to the headphone.

Unfortunately, due to the age of the Xbox 360, a lot of headset makers discontinued such headphones.

You might try to find some leftover stock or an offer on ebay for a Razer Chimera 5.1 headset, Turtle Beach EarForce X42 and the likes, that have a base station. You can plug an optical cable or the stereo RCA plugs into the base station, which then transmits
  8. kharrisma Win User

headphone.

to the headphone.

Thanks for the detailed info, ArminatorX. That's exactly what I was looking for! I picked this thing up for a measley $25, and figured I could finally play games that weren't available on other platforms. I've also managed to snag about a dozen really
    good games for around $5 each, so I'm set for awhile. I like my PS4 a lot, but it can't play any of the Halo games, among others. I do most of my gaming either very early or very late; either way, the wife is asleep, and I'd like to keep her that way. I
    wasn't aware the optical output carried audio as well... that sounds like the best solution by far.
  9. M3tal Daz3 Win User

I hope you are aware that you trying to use new technology on a console of the old generation (time to upgrade maybe)

That being said I'm sorry to disappoint, but the headphone jack on the 360 controller is for voice communications only. Game sounds, music, etc. are all played through the display device (tv/monitor).

To get the audio from the Xbox to your headset you'll need some sort of converter cable/connector that turns the red/white connector that goes to your tv to the jack that you have on your headset.
  10. GreenDisease Win User

How to use headphones only for sound

To my knowledge, you can not adjust game sound to come through the headphones only. However, you can do this for chat by going into the chat setting and voicing through the headset only. As far as game sound, I usually turn my tv all the way down and just
    turn up the game sound on my controller with the headset adapter.
  11. Nazty Fox Win User

Snapping TV

Did you choose the correct TV provider when you went through the setup? Try changing the TV provider until Channel up works.

As far as the sound goes, you would not be able to separate the sound on your tv from your headphones. They are both pulling sound from the same place (Your xbox or cable tv). Certain brands of headphones have a feature on them to separate chat and game volume
    which is what you may be mixing up.

When you are saying mute, you are muting your TV volume which is where your xbox and cable come through. When your TV is muted, all sound is muted unless you have a home theater system, in which case sound would still come through the home theater. But again,
    the home theater would be pulling its sound from the same place as the tv so there is no way to separate your tv / game volumes.
Thema:

1. How to set up Xbox 360 so game sound comes through headphones, not TV? - Similar Threads - set 360 game

2. I forgot my Xbox 360 4 digit pass code at the family setting

in XBoX Accessibility
    I forgot my Xbox 360 4 digit pass code at the family setting: I forgot my Xbox 360 4 digit pass code and now my games do not play 286f448f-b8f9-49b4-94e7-aef96fa3151d
  3. Why is my Xbox 360 saying “When conneected to Xbox Live, the clock is set automatically and...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why is my Xbox 360 saying “When conneected to Xbox Live, the clock is set automatically and...: Every time I go to Clock on my Xbox 360 absolutely everything is right Daylighg Saving is on I am in the right Time Zone and I have the right Time Format but the weird part is is that the time is...
  4. should traffic in be allowed for xbox 360 in modem firewall settings?

in XBoX on Consoles
    should traffic in be allowed for xbox 360 in modem firewall settings?: should traffic in be allowed for xbox360 in modem firewall settings? f6b91e7d-394a-44ca-aabc-055c5177d841
  5. How to remove family setting in a second hand Xbox 360

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to remove family setting in a second hand Xbox 360: Heyy n I've tried almost everything to remove the family setting but it not working out Is the anything I could do to remove or restart the console fb9bf81c-b458-48eb-ad5b-5cf97f944411
  6. Xbox 360 is asking for a passkey I didn't set up.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox 360 is asking for a passkey I didn't set up.: So as the titles says, for some reason there's a passkey being needed to sign in to my Xbox 360, I've never put one on to my account, and I'm the only one with access to the device, this also...
  7. How to reset passcode and reset question to Xbox 360 family settings without Xbox live

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to reset passcode and reset question to Xbox 360 family settings without Xbox live: I bought a 360 console with games downloaded on the hard drive, from the Facebook marketplace. I tried downloading my profile, but i don't know the passcode or it's reset question...
  8. How to set up a live account on a 360

in XBoX on Windows
    How to set up a live account on a 360: I am trying to get my Xbox 360 arcade to play my Xbox version of Lord of the Rings return of the King. Connected to the internet via Ethernet cord, but can’t seem to get live to run so that I can...
  9. Does anyone know how to get rid of family settings on a second hand Xbox 360?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Does anyone know how to get rid of family settings on a second hand Xbox 360?: I have recently bought an Xbox 360 and have found that there are family settings on it which I do not have the code to. da9ff7b8-6016-4d1b-85e7-0e81c8f9307a
  10. Original Xbox game Jet Set Radio Future standalone and Combo disc Compatible with Xbox 360?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Original Xbox game Jet Set Radio Future standalone and Combo disc Compatible with Xbox 360?: I know it may be compatible but before I spend money on it, I'd like to know for sure if it's compatible. 344ead6a-8a65-497a-aaad-d62fca268c81