How to get the Xbox App to recognise Steam Apps that can open ms-xbl-multiplayer links

Discus and support How to get the Xbox App to recognise Steam Apps that can open ms-xbl-multiplayer links in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I just recently fully reset my PC and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro. I reinstalled Steam and the Xbox App as well as the Xbox console companion. I also... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by MarMt1, Sep 18, 2023.

1. MarMt1
    MarMt1 Guest

How to get the Xbox App to recognise Steam Apps that can open ms-xbl-multiplayer links

I just recently fully reset my PC and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro. I reinstalled Steam and the Xbox App as well as the Xbox console companion. I also installed Sea of Thieves on Steam, since this is where I want to play it.

My problem arises when I launch the game and try to join a friend. I get a pop up prompting me to choose an app to open a "ms-xbl-multiplayer link" (microsoft store-xbox live-multiplayer link?) and gives me the option to search for a compatible app in the Microsoft Store, which leads me to the Microsoft Store Version of Sea of Thieves. When I install the MS Version of SoT, the link opens on that version and works as intended, but I don't want to play on the MS Version. If I uninstall the MS Version, the same problem comes up again.

I'm pretty sure the problem lies in the fact that the Xbox app or console companion don't "recognise" that I have Sea of Thieves on Steam and that this application can also open these links. My guess is that the Xbox app doesn't change a certain path variable or registry that leads to the app/game (that is supposed to open these links) to the steam version when that version gets installed or opened. Another guess would be that the Xbox app doesn't recognise the steam installation and therefore creates the wrong link (to the MS version instead of the steam one), but both issues would be very similar.

I tried reinstalling Sea of Thieves on Steam, resetting both the Xbox app and console companion, reinstalling the Xbox app and console companion, resetting Windows, looking for a way to set the app in the default app settings (I couldn't find one, neither in default apps by file type nor protocol), checking the Xbox network and fixing it (at first it shows Teredo unable to qualify, after a fix it all works as it should, but the problem persists).

I don't know what registry I would have to change and to what, so I haven't tried that.

If anyone can provide some help, it would be appreciated, since I don't know what to do anymore.

:)

MarMt1, Sep 18, 2023
  2. ReeceLad Win User

Hi MarMt1

Please try installing the Console companion app, log in there with your account also confirm that you have the Xbox game bar installed and active

You should also check for updates on the Windows update section big the PC settings

Finally you could try this

Start a party on Xbox app and then launch the game, one of the party members should join a session and in the pause menu instead of the invite friends option it will be changed to join friend's gamertag
  3. MarMt1 Win User

Hi,

I already tried all of your suggestions and they didn’t work.

As for creating a party, whilst this can work, it doesn’t solve my issue. I am able to join friends if they invite me, but I am only able to join people on my own if I play through the MS Version, but I want to do it using the Steam version, where I get the error.
  4. Nkosana23 Win User

Get an app to open this ms-xbl-multiplayer link

Hi. My name is Brilliant, an independent advisor, happy to assist you today.

Here are a few troubleshooting tips you can try to resolve your query:
    - Restart your device.
    - Update Windows.
    - Update your device drivers.
    - Update the Xbox and Gaming Services apps.
    - Sign into the Xbox app and Store using the same account.
    - Remove and reinstall Gaming Services.
    - Make sure your date and time is correct.
    - Disable your antivirus.
    - Use the app troubleshooter.
    - Repair and reset the Xbox app.

For more details on the above and more troubleshooting tips, kindly visit: https://support.xbox.com/help/games-apps/troubleshooting/troubleshoot-games-windows-10

I hope this helps resolve your query.
  5. Jacob Hull Win User

How to fix "Can't open ms-xbl-multiplayer link"?

I have the same problem with sea of thieves but when my brother clicks accept to join me in the game it says 'select an app to open this ms-xbl-multiplayer link' and then it says default app is minecraft
  6. andersonpassos Win User

Get an app to open this ms-xbl-multiplayer link - Can't play multiplayer

Thank you for contact us! I'm Anderson, an Independent Consultant and a Microsoft user like you.

good evening

It sounds like you're having trouble joining multiplayer games on Xbox Game Pass for PC. One solution could be to ensure that you have the Xbox app installed on your computer, as it may be required to open the ms-xbl-multiplayer link. You can download the Xbox app from the Microsoft Store.

Additionally, try running the game as an administrator and make sure that the Xbox app and the game you're trying to play are both up to date. If the issue persists, try resetting the Xbox app and the game, or uninstalling and reinstalling them.

Another thing to check is the firewall settings of your computer and make sure it's not blocking the connection, also you can try disabling VPN if you're using one.

It's also possible that the issue may be with the cloud gaming service you're using.
Thema:

1. How to get the Xbox App to recognise Steam Apps that can open ms-xbl-multiplayer links - Similar Threads - App recognise Steam

2. Why won't my xbox open any games or apps tried to open settings too but can't ive also...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my xbox open any games or apps tried to open settings too but can't ive also...: Please fix it soon I have a job to do and want to play a few games before I gotta go to work but lately you guys have been having issues with your things and it's slightly missing me off, you guys...
  3. Double Input only on games downloaded with the PC Xbox app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Double Input only on games downloaded with the PC Xbox app: Been having double input problems only on the games I’ve downloaded from the PC Xbox app. Makes it really weird to play, my inputs will swap between keyboard and controller. Does anyone know how...
  4. Xbox app wont install on Windows 11 23h2

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app wont install on Windows 11 23h2: Hey, Ive been having issues with installing games from the Xbox Game Pass. I tried all the trouble shooting without uninstalling, then got to a point where uninstalling and reinstalling the Xbox...
  5. The youtube app on my xbox series s keep taking me out the app every time i play a video

in XBoX on Windows
    The youtube app on my xbox series s keep taking me out the app every time i play a video: Every time i open the YouTube app on my xbox series s it keeps crashing every time i try to play a video f8ad5e5e-cd5e-49ab-94d6-0aaa2dd1ee8b
  6. Closed bluray player app then screen went black, what do i do?

in XboX Insiders
    Closed bluray player app then screen went black, what do i do?: I was watching neon genesis evangelion on bluray and i wanted to play gta before my mom got back home and when i closed the app it weny black. I tried pushing the xbox button on the controller ive...
  7. I can't open Xbox app on pc

in XBoX on Windows
    I can't open Xbox app on pc: When ever I try to open Xbox app on pc the app just keep crashing while booting I deleted the app 3 times and tried to re install it and delete all Xbox app services nothing happened...
  8. Recent Captures Says 4k HDR for Clip, but Captures App Shows 1080 SDR?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Recent Captures Says 4k HDR for Clip, but Captures App Shows 1080 SDR?: I took a brief clip of some gameplay recently, and I noticed that while it says the clip was in 4k HDR viewing it in the "Recent Captures" tab, in the Captures application, it lists the clip at...
  9. Why doesn't the xbox app pick up my eternal HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why doesn't the xbox app pick up my eternal HDD: I just got a xbox series s, I plugged in my 2TB and formatted it like the console told me too, I pick it up on the xbox, I can download onto it, but the xbox app doesn't pick it up. At all. Why?...
  10. Xbox app remote play and Gamepass App cloud gaming not recognising my controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox app remote play and Gamepass App cloud gaming not recognising my controller: I'm trying to use my stadio controller which has been transitioned to bluetooth mode. It works perfectly with in browser cloud gaming It doesn't work at all with remote play on the xbox app or...