How to fix Xbox app stuck on updating

Discus and support How to fix Xbox app stuck on updating in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Whenever I try to open the Xbox app, it tries to update, and then says something went wrong with the error code 0x80073cf9. I am trying this on a new... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Storm Fyer, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Storm Fyer
    Storm Fyer Guest

Whenever I try to open the Xbox app, it tries to update, and then says something went wrong with the error code 0x80073cf9. I am trying this on a new Windows 11 laptop, I have tried to find what this code means and I have found nothing. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and nothing has worked.

:)

Storm Fyer, Dec 27, 2023
  2. Jhonkito Win User

Hi, Storm my name is Jhon, and will be a pleasure help you

Here are some steps you can try to fix the Xbox app stuck on updating with error code 0x80073cf9:

Check for Windows Updates:

Go to Settings > Windows Update and check for any pending updates. Install any available updates, as they may include fixes for the Xbox app.

Reset the Xbox app:

Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
    Find the Xbox app, click on Advanced options, and then click Reset.
    This will clear the app's data and settings, which may resolve the issue.

Repair or Reset the Xbox app using PowerShell:

Right-click the Start button and select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    Type the following command and press Enter:

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.XboxApp | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_. InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

- If the repair doesn't work, try resetting the app using this command:
    Get-AppxPackage -allusers *Microsoft.XboxApp* | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_. InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -ForceUpdate}

Troubleshoot Windows Store Apps:

Go to Settings > System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters.
    Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Reinstall the Xbox app:

If none of the above steps work, you can try reinstalling the Xbox app.
    Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
    Find the Xbox app, click Uninstall, and then reinstall it from the Microsoft Store.

Run System File Checker (SFC):

Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Start, select Command Prompt (Admin)).
    Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
    This will scan and repair any corrupted system files that may be causing the issue.

Check for Third-Party Interference:

Temporarily disable antivirus or firewall software.
    Clean boot your system to identify any conflicting programs.

Would you please reinstall the gaming services and reset the Microsoft store and the Xbox app? Please perform these steps with the Microsoft store and the Xbox app closed and make sure there are no games being downloaded or installed on both apps.

- Go to start > Search for PowerShell > Right click > Run as administrator. Type the following command and press enter:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

- Press Windows + R and type in "regedit". Press enter.

- Search for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

- Delete the folders "GamingServices", "GamingServices.net" (if they're still there).

- Go to Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Microsoft Store > Advanced Options > Repair, then Reset.

- Go to Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Xbox App > Advanced Options > Repair, then Reset.

- Press Windows + R. Type TEMP and press enter. Delete all the files inside this folder. Repeat this step by typing %TEMP% and Prefetch. Delete everything on both folders too.

- Press Windows + R. Type WSRESET and press enter.

- Restart your computer. Run Powershell as administrator and run the following commands (one at a time):

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_. InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

(this command can show you some errors, this is normal, just wait until it finishes)

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

- Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt. Also sign in on the Microsoft store with your Microsoft account.

- Restart your computer one more time. Open the Xbox App and sign in with the same account as the Microsoft store.

Note: Some of the information, which were gained from this answer, were received in a thread on the Microsoft forum by Lucas Lauer Independent Advisor , and it seemed a good idea, to share this information with you. Source of information (credits) :

https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/fcf86a91-fd15-462c-a881-31bfcd1c7669

I hope this helps! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or need additional clarification.
  3. iva yletava Win User

Every Microsoft app dousnt work on pc

Ok but how will that fix xbox app from crashing when I try to download it and the Microsoft not being stuck at the loading screen
  4. Rashawn McCullough Win User

Trying to update "There was a problem with the update"

I'm have the same problem but with the October update is there any fix at all I did offline update didn't work and I reseted the xbox kept games and apps and removed the games and apps now I'm stuck in a update. Loop and my only options are "Try again "check internet" "Turn off console any fix?
  5. Amari Kigu Win User

Error Code 0x80040154 on X-Box game pass beta The Outer Worlds Install

I'm almost 100% certain this is the App and Microsoft server licensing fault, and I think only MS can fix it. Pretty certain what is happening is the licensing is getting stuck midway between the app and server, the app is requesting a license and the
    server is rejecting it for perhaps 10 different reasons, one of them could be that it tried to install the app/game but perhaps got corrupted so the server thinks you already have the license when you don't so its stuck in limbo, if that makes any sense.

Originally Outer Worlds started to download for me but got stuck at around 2% downloaded, and none of the other apps would update or download so I used the store reset command and that fixed for the apps to download and update but the outer worlds was stuck
    at 2% so I removed the download and tried to redownload thats when the "Something happened on our end" and that 0x800 error started and most likely will never be fixed unless Microsoft fixes the store entirely.
  6. Richard Herselman Win User

Error Code: 0x803FB005 installing XBox app on windows 10 pc

I previously encountered error 0x803FB005 when trying to update Game Bar (System Components) in Microsoft Store - that's now fixed, thank you.

Next problem, like others have mentioned, is that the Xbox app in Microsoft Store needs an update, but it's stuck on "Downloading". Will keep trying.
Thema:

1. How to fix Xbox app stuck on updating - Similar Threads - fix app stuck

2. how do i fix the No Applicable App Licenses Found Error?

in XBoX on Windows
    how do i fix the No Applicable App Licenses Found Error?: i try to open Minecraft java and i get this error but i can open the windows version just fine I'm confused please help. 9a4b8288-7917-4c36-a90a-e26826059559
  3. How do you fix the console not showing in the PC app?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do you fix the console not showing in the PC app?: How do you fix the console not showing in the PC app? Worked last week, now not showing nay option to connect to the console e5be635d-55fe-4725-b98c-68c042a988de
  4. why is my xbox app not launching and i have tried everything to fix it but it wont open?

in XBoX on Windows
    why is my xbox app not launching and i have tried everything to fix it but it wont open?: this i what i get. [img] 06be154a-d84a-4cec-bc89-4ebb3d990854
  5. Xbox app keeps closing as soon as I open it, how do I fix this?

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app keeps closing as soon as I open it, how do I fix this?: The Xbox app on my PC just closes immediately every time I open it. I don't know what else to say but this is incredibly frustrating and I have no idea what the problem is. I have all of the...
  6. My Xbox App won't load. What do I do to fix it??

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox App won't load. What do I do to fix it??: So I tried resetting the data, uninstalling, that powershell stuff, everything I saw around the internet, but nothing works. My Xbox app just opens on the black screen with non-pulsating Xbox...
  7. My startup type is disabled completely on the Xbox computer app? How do I fix this?

in XBoX on Windows
    My startup type is disabled completely on the Xbox computer app? How do I fix this?: So I’m having this issue where it won’t start up and it says it’s updating but at 0% and I have waited about 20 minutes for it to not budge. And so I checked services to see what was wrong and my...
  8. Windows Store and Xbox app not working properly, how to fix?

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Store and Xbox app not working properly, how to fix?: Hi, I've been trying to install the Minecraft Launcher for a while now, but every time I try, the install button is just greyed out. If I wait for around 5 minutes, it takes me to the "We'll...
  9. Xbox App Updates Stuck, Application has no method to resolve or fix issue.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App Updates Stuck, Application has no method to resolve or fix issue.: Xbox app is horrible. Not only are the downloads notably slower than any other game launcher available, but the app will simply stay stuck at 0 B/S and will not start downloading after: - Waiting...
  10. How do I fix the Xbox app stuck on the Logo?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I fix the Xbox app stuck on the Logo?: Yea so my Question is how do I fix my Xbox app on my PC with Windows 10. I already have this problem for 2 days now and i tried numerous other options already and nothing seems to work. I open the...