How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e?

Discus and support How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I'm unable to install games on the xbox app on PC (windows 10). "Gaming services failed with error code: 0x8007007e." I've tried everything listed on... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Rachel Horton, Jul 18, 2023.

1. How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e?

I'm unable to install games on the xbox app on PC (windows 10). "Gaming services failed with error code: 0x8007007e." I've tried everything listed on the support page and nothing has fixed the issue.

:)

Rachel Horton, Jul 18, 2023
  2. andersonpassos Win User

How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e?

Thank you for contact us! I'm Anderson, an Independent Consultant and a Microsoft user like you.

Good evening

Update Windows: Ensure that your Windows 10 operating system is up to date. Microsoft regularly releases updates that can address bugs and compatibility issues. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and click on "Check for updates" to see if any updates are available.

Reset the Xbox app: Resetting the Xbox app can help resolve various issues. To do this, right-click on the Start button, select "Apps and Features" from the context menu, scroll down to find the Xbox app, click on it, and select "Advanced options." In the next screen, click on the "Reset" button to reset the app to its default settings.

Reinstall the Xbox app: If resetting the app didn't work, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling it. To do this, follow the steps in the previous point but click on the "Uninstall" button instead of "Reset." Afterward, go to the Microsoft Store and search for the Xbox app to reinstall it.

Check your internet connection: Make sure you have a stable and reliable internet connection. Connectivity issues can interfere with the proper functioning of the Xbox app and gaming services. Try restarting your modem/router or connecting to a different network to see if it makes a difference.

Check for antivirus/firewall interference: Antivirus software or firewall settings can sometimes block gaming services. Temporarily disable your antivirus software or add exceptions to your firewall settings to allow the Xbox app and related services to function properly.

Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter: Windows 10 has built-in troubleshooters that can automatically detect and fix common issues. Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app, go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and click on "Additional troubleshooters." Find the "Windows Store Apps" troubleshooter and run it to check for any problems with the Xbox app.
  3. Marrion_Y Win User

Gaming services failed with error code 0x8007007e

hi Josef Mittermann,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble installing games from game pass for PC. This error code 0x8007007e indicates that there is a problem with the gaming services or the Microsoft Store app.

First, please make sure that the device still has enough free space left or try for free up some space on the drive of the device. See this page for reference then see how it goes: Free up drive space in Windows - Microsoft Support.

If still issues persist, here are some steps we can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Reinstall Gaming Services:

- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

- Type "ms-settings:gaming-game-services" and press Enter.

- Click on Gaming Services and then click on Uninstall.

- Restart your PC.

- Open the Microsoft Store and search for Gaming Services.

- Click on Install and wait for the installation to complete.

- Restart your PC and try launching the Xbox App again.

2. Clear Microsoft Store Cache:

- Type "wsreset" on the search menu of the Taskbar.

- From the results, wsreset (Run command) should appear.

- Select Run as administrator.

- Wait for the window to close and open the Microsoft Store automatically.

If none of these steps work, you proceed to these steps below:

1. Make sure your Windows 10 is up to date. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if prompted.

2. Log out from the Xbox app and the Microsoft Store app. Then, go to the Start menu, right-click on the Xbox app and the Microsoft Store app, and select App settings. Click on Terminate, Repair and Reset for both apps.

3. Open the Microsoft Store app, click on the three dots in the upper right corner, go to Downloads and Updates > Get updates and update everything.

4. Restart your PC, log in to both apps and try to install a game from game pass for PC again.

You can also try running the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tools to repair any corrupted system files. To do this, follow these steps:

Open Command Prompt (Run as administrator)

Type and enter these commands below:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

Note: Allow each command to complete its process before entering the next command line

Exit Command Prompt and restart the device

I hope these steps help resolve your issue. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind regards,
    Marrion
  4. Josef Mittermann Win User

Hello,

I tried this fix several times. It doesn't work though.

Regards

Josef
  5. Marrion_Y Win User

Hi Josef Mittermann,

Thank you for the response and sorry to hear that still issue persists.

Regarding with the 2 entries of the Gaming Services that you are seeing, that is normal. I also have those 2 entries on my end. When uninstalled Gaming Services though through PowerShell, was it the steps found on this page which are as follows also: Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows | Xbox Support?

1. Select the Search icon on the taskbar, type powershell, right-click on Windows PowerShell, and then select Run as administrator.
    2. In Windows PowerShell, type the following command and press Enter:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
    3. In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
    4. Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.
    5. Restart your device and try to install the game again.

If those steps were already followed and still issues persist, I would recommend that we try doing a reset on your device. You may check this page for options and reference in doing a reset: Recovery options in Windows - Microsoft Support

Kind regards,
    Marrion
  6. Josef Mittermann Win User

Dear Marrion,

Thanks a lot for your attention. I went through all your suggested steps at least two times and did all the suggested scans unfortunately to no avail, the error persists. During my tries I noted that I couldn't uninstall gaming services in the suggested way, I had to use the powershell or a 3 party app and in local services gaming services are listed two times:

[​IMG]

Kind regards,

Josef
Thema:

1. How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e? - Similar Threads - fix gaming services

2. Gaming Services will not download no matter what I do. How do I fix this?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gaming Services will not download no matter what I do. How do I fix this?: Due to my computer being new, it hasn't been downloaded onto my PC before and therefore can't be uninstalled first so using Shell and those commands do nothing. I've done everything that has been...
  3. Fix for Gaming Services please

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Fix for Gaming Services please: My PC games (bought via MS store/xbox app) wont install or update, they get to 100% then hit an error message. Gaming Services seems to be the issue, however i can't seem to fix GS via the...
  4. How to fix Gaming services won't start at all?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to fix Gaming services won't start at all?: The Gaming services got installed but won't start, as shows in event viewer: The Gaming Services service terminated with the following error: The specified service does not exist as an installed...
  5. Gaming services doesn't work pls fix.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming services doesn't work pls fix.: Gaming services doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it three times. When i go into services and try to start gaming services it says: "Error 1060: The specified service does not...
  6. How do I fix everything Gaming Services related.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I fix everything Gaming Services related.: All of a sudden a few days ago, my Game pass PC has stopped working. The Xbox App claims that Gaming Services is not installed, but every time I try to Powershell and remove the Gaming Services...
  7. How do I fix my Xbox App and Gaming Services?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I fix my Xbox App and Gaming Services?: I purchased the Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath Expansion and attempted to install it. There was plenty of space on the machine but the installation got hung up. After a bit of innocent...
  8. How do I fix gaming services/xbox app issues?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I fix gaming services/xbox app issues?: So recently I encountered a problem on the xbox app that wouldn't let me see nor download any games at all, so I did my "research" and found that the problem was the gaming services. I tried...
  9. How do I fix gaming services needing to download every time I open the xbox app?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I fix gaming services needing to download every time I open the xbox app?: I have been using my PC for over a year now. I have had no issues with anything up until 2 days ago when I decided I wanted to play Stardew Valley. I clicked install and started watching YouTube....
  10. How do I fix "gaming services needs to be downloaded"?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I fix "gaming services needs to be downloaded"?: I keep getting the error that I need to install gaming services to play games on the Xbox app on my computer. I have gone through the step on the official Xbox website several times of force...