How to edit an xbox controller's internal settings from my PC?

Discus and support How to edit an xbox controller's internal settings from my PC? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; When I play on Xbox, I can mute my controller microphone (Xbox one controller). If I go to another console, my controller remembers that it is muted. I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CurvedPaladin, Oct 28, 2023.

1. How to edit an xbox controller's internal settings from my PC?

When I play on Xbox, I can mute my controller microphone (Xbox one controller). If I go to another console, my controller remembers that it is muted. I can then unmute my controller from the second console. This is what I have observed.

Here is the problem. My controller remains muted when I go to my PC. There is no way to unmute it. I have tried many methods. The Xbox accessories app does not help. The Game Bar does not help. Reinstalling the drivers does not help. The only way I have solved this issue, is to switch on an Xbox console, plug in my controller, and unmute the microphone the old fashion way. Then I can return to my PC with an unmuted microphone.

Is it possible to change the controller's audio settings on Windows? (Currently using Windows 10)

I need to access the controller's settings, not the settings of some app using the controller as an audio device. This is important. All the settings I have changed to this point do not change the controller's settings at all.

Thanks for the assistance.

:)

CurvedPaladin, Oct 28, 2023
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

It’s not something I’ve seen before. Maybe opening it in the accessories app? Is the controller firmware updated?
  3. CurvedPaladin Win User

Hello , My name is David. I am an independent advisor, happy to help you today. To edit the internal settings of an Xbox controller from your PC, you can follow the following steps: Connect your Xbox One controller to your PC using a USB cable or using an Xbox Wireless Adapter. Open "Device Manager" on your PC. You can access it by searching for it in the start menu or by right-clicking the start button and selecting "Device Manager." In Device Manager, find the "Sound, video, and game controllers" category and click the plus sign to expand it. You should see your Xbox One controller listed in this section as "Xbox Wireless Controller" or something similar. Right click on it and select "Properties" from the drop-down menu. In the controller properties window, there should be a tab called "Controller". Click on it to access the internal settings of the controller. Under the "Controller" tab, you can find options related to the Xbox controller, such as audio and microphone settings. However, note that specific options may vary depending on the driver version and version of Windows you are using. It is important to note that the options available may be limited in the internal settings of the Xbox controller compared to the options available on an Xbox console. If you don't find the options you're looking for in the controller's internal settings, they may not be available directly through this interface. Best regards.
    Hey David.

Unfortunately, it seems that the device manager does not provide any useful settings. I only see some driver related options and nothing that I can change really.

It does seem impossible to access the controller itself. I wish it was possible through the Xbox accessories app.

Thanks for the help.

Regards.
  4. CurvedPaladin Win User

I initially installed the Xbox Accessories app for this specific problem. The app allows you to update your controller and do some slight modifications to the sticks of the controller. Nothing else.

I believe my controller is fully up to date.

Although, the app does show that my earphones (with a mic) are connected. That's about it.
  5. David Wirsching Win User

Hello CurvedPaladin, My name is David. I am an independent advisor, happy to help you today.

To edit the internal settings of an Xbox controller from your PC, you can follow the following steps:

Connect your Xbox One controller to your PC using a USB cable or using an Xbox Wireless Adapter.
    Open "Device Manager" on your PC. You can access it by searching for it in the start menu or by right-clicking the start button and selecting "Device Manager."
    In Device Manager, find the "Sound, video, and game controllers" category and click the plus sign to expand it.

You should see your Xbox One controller listed in this section as "Xbox Wireless Controller" or something similar. Right click on it and select "Properties" from the drop-down menu.
    In the controller properties window, there should be a tab called "Controller". Click on it to access the internal settings of the controller.

Under the "Controller" tab, you can find options related to the Xbox controller, such as audio and microphone settings. However, note that specific options may vary depending on the driver version and version of Windows you are using.

It is important to note that the options available may be limited in the internal settings of the Xbox controller compared to the options available on an Xbox console. If you don't find the options you're looking for in the controller's internal settings, they may not be available directly through this interface.

Best regards.
  6. CurvedPaladin Win User

Do you experience this issue when connected with both USB cable and Bluetooth?
    I should have probably mentioned it as well, but I only use a USB connection. I don't even have batteries for my controller. So I am not sure if Bluetooth will make a difference. I can test it some time if I get batteries.
Thema:

1. How to edit an xbox controller's internal settings from my PC? - Similar Threads - edit controller's internal

2. If I send in my Xbox Starfield Controller for Repair, will I receive a Starfield edition in...

in XBoX on Consoles
    If I send in my Xbox Starfield Controller for Repair, will I receive a Starfield edition in...: If I send in my Xbox Starfield Controller for Repair, will I receive a Starfield edition in return? Want to make sure I don't lose my special edition controller just because it's going in for...
  3. Xbox Wireless Controller – 20th Anniversary Special Edition for Xbox Series X|S bricked...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Controller – 20th Anniversary Special Edition for Xbox Series X|S bricked...: I have a Xbox Wireless Controller – 20th Anniversary Special Edition for Xbox Series X|S. I'm using the controller on my PC with Windows 11.The controller was working fine via bluetooth. I...
  4. Does Xbox Wireless Controller – Stormcloud Vapor Special Edition connect to Nintendo Switch?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does Xbox Wireless Controller – Stormcloud Vapor Special Edition connect to Nintendo Switch?: I am curious does this controller connect to Nintendo switch by any chance? My kids would like to know. :) 5263b71b-121b-4c94-af30-5035986de98b
  5. Control Ultimate Edition Crashes

in XboX Insiders
    Control Ultimate Edition Crashes: I bought recently control ultimate edition for the Xbox Series X, when I play the game on performance mode I have zero problens so far... But when playing on grafics mode (ray tracing, etc...) the...
  6. Analog Stick Replacements for Limited Edition Controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Analog Stick Replacements for Limited Edition Controller: I recently acquired a Sea Of Thieves Xbox controller from a friend. The analog sticks are pretty torn up. Is there anywhere to purchase replacement ones that are exactly like what it came with?...
  7. Forza horizon 4 (xbox parental control) Edit: bought the game on steam!

in XBoX Accessibility
    Forza horizon 4 (xbox parental control) Edit: bought the game on steam!: Hi, so I have been getting issues with the Xbox parental control setting. I am 18 and I'm not in any family organization I did the Xbox privacy settings submitted restarted my pc and then it works...
  8. Mando elite en garantía N [Edit - Translation] - Elite control in guarantee N

in XBoX on Consoles
    Mando elite en garantía N [Edit - Translation] - Elite control in guarantee N: Hola tengo un mando elite en garantia que no funciona bien ,que debo hacer ? [Edit - Translation] - Hi, I have an elite remote in guarantee that it doesn't work well, what should I do?...
  9. Control de Xbox One [Edit - Translation] - Xbox One control

in XBoX on Consoles
    Control de Xbox One [Edit - Translation] - Xbox One control: Buen dia. Gente tengo una gran duda ya que mi control de xbox one simplemente no se se conecta a la consola. Ya lo he actualizado mediante un cable USB y de la nada el control solo se desconecta...
  10. Carregar Controle Xbox One [Edit - Translation] - Charge Xbox One Control

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Carregar Controle Xbox One [Edit - Translation] - Charge Xbox One Control: Meu Xbox one está em manutenção e gostaria de saber se posso usar um carregador de celular para carregar o controle [Edit - Translation] - My Xbox one is under maintenance and would like to...