How to change gamertag from a duplicate to the original on all Xbox platforms?

Discus and support How to change gamertag from a duplicate to the original on all Xbox platforms? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; I want to change my gamertag on my main account from a duplicate to the original after it became available since I changed the gamertag which had the... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Mico Chan Almonte, May 13, 2023.

1. How to change gamertag from a duplicate to the original on all Xbox platforms?

I want to change my gamertag on my main account from a duplicate to the original after it became available since I changed the gamertag which had the original gamertag on my other account that had it before. The gamertag is now available but still, it won't let me change the gamertag on my main account since Xbox cannot detect that my name is just a duplicate and not the original and it thinks that it is the same gamertag even though technically isn't as it still has a suffix at the end that marks it as a duplicate.

So far I'm only able to get the option to change my classic gamertag but I want it to be the same as the original without the suffix throughout all the Xbox One console and Xbox apps & Xbox games that don't support the new gamertag system* and all Xbox 360 experiences as it did before.

Is there any way to obtain the original gamertag for all Xbox platforms?

Screenshots are linked below since my images kept failing to upload in this question.

https://prnt.sc/2m40IU5VieM8

https://prnt.sc/y31BdgCGpgaX

https://prnt.sc/IpBFoYikbfpg

:)

Mico Chan Almonte, May 13, 2023
  2. KaijuPlaysGames Win User

How do I keep my classic gamertag and make my modern gamertag match it?

Hi David,

The Xbox Gamertag FAQ from Microsoft support's page states:
    "Q: I have more than 12 characters in my gamertag! Do I need to change it?
    "A: Nope. If you like your gamertag the way it is, you keep it."

Well, I like my gamertag the way my classic gamertag is. Why am I forced to change it for the modern gamertag?

Re: My statement about cloning or duplicating:
    I dont want to clone or duplicate a gamertag from one account to another. I want to clone or duplicate the name that already exists in my classic gamertag to my modern gamertag.

There HAS to exist an employee at Microsoft that is able to manage account details from the backend. How do I get in contact with them to resolve this issue?

"However, you can choose not to use or display the modern gamertag and primarily use your classic gamertag instead."
    Great. How?
  3. 痛 ‎ Win User

When are Xbox going to take action against dupe gamer tags

Yes, this was normally the case. However, a couple of years ago, an old Android Xbox app version allowed people to create duplicate gamertags of existing tags. For example, if you search for the gamertag "C o m" and "Com" without spaces on your Xbox, you'll find two completely different accounts - the original being "C o m" and the duplicate being "Com". In this scenario, I can't change my gamertag and change back because the dupe gamertag would essentially become the original, and I wouldn’t be able to switch back to it unless I added numbers, which is what I want to avoid.
  4. NeoDan123 Win User

Gamertag from inactive account

Gamertags is linked to all Microsoft accounts, even if they are not used on Xbox.

Unfortunatly there is nothing we can do to change your gamertag as the system prevents the duplication of gamertags.
  5. iMaGeS-8DD2FA1E-8CBD Win User

Original gamertag is inaccessible & GLITCHED due to a inactive spaced version

You not understanding. The gamertag is an original tag scheduled for release however once released there is already a duplicate tag on the 360 with spaces in between.

So 2 same gamertags cannot exist at once forcing the real original to be stuck in the release process.

The inactive spaced version of the tag is holding its place on the 360 and blocking the release of the actual original tag from the original xbox.

Does that make sense?
  6. Smwutches Win User

unable to unlink old ea account

Please refrain from creating duplicate threads as you were already being assisted in your original thread.
Thema:

How to change gamertag from a duplicate to the original on all Xbox platforms?

1. How to change gamertag from a duplicate to the original on all Xbox platforms? - Similar Threads - change gamertag duplicate

2. How do i exit the "Change Xbox Gamertag"

in XBoX on Windows
    How do i exit the "Change Xbox Gamertag": i am stuck on the "Change Xbox Gamertag" and i cant leave it even if i go to "https://social.xbox.com/profile" and i would like to know how to leave the screen bbe80b5e-113f-4686-a882-7c9a530120c7
  3. I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account)...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account)...: I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account) for reasons I cannot remember, but I would like to change back to the original name. But, when I try,...
  4. In the future will it be possible to change the gamertag without paying?

in XboX Insiders
    In the future will it be possible to change the gamertag without paying?: I know that this function has been around since the days of the Xbox 360, when we changed the gamertag for the first time, it is free, but for the other one it costs money. It would be great if we...
  5. how could one /ABUSE changing their gamertag? I am DESPERATLY wanting to hear a VALID...

in XBoX on Windows
    how could one /ABUSE changing their gamertag? I am DESPERATLY wanting to hear a VALID...: is changing it abusive?? Is deciding that a change is wanted abusive? with all the sick pukes that stalk and live for and relish in watching, exploiting, stalking, harassing, what have you, an...
  6. I changed my gamertag and it still shows up as my old one

in XBoX on Consoles
    I changed my gamertag and it still shows up as my old one: so i recently changed my gamertag and it still showsbup as my old one. does anyone know how to change ot to my new one without my old one being on top? 0f8c79a9-24c8-4591-bf68-3fe6509d9289
  7. I have never changed my xbox gamertag before yet it is still making me pay. What do I do?

in XBoX on Windows
    I have never changed my xbox gamertag before yet it is still making me pay. What do I do?: It says I have to pay the fee but I have never changed my gamertag before. I made the account years ago and now I find it embarrassing. Please help! 19d4f6f5-9a48-4edd-b0a7-07059b450ea2
  8. How much does changing your gamertag in Australia cost?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How much does changing your gamertag in Australia cost?: I want to change my gamertag but I don't know how much it costs for your second change in Australia. SOMEONE TELL ME 0b225e32-443d-4a51-ad8c-abaa00e386db
  9. How many gamertag changes can I make?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How many gamertag changes can I make?: I would like to change my Xbox gamertag but I am not sure if I can change it again. 7c16deb0-5799-4429-b762-5dd1d127dccb
  10. Trying to change the microsoft account associated with my Gamertag

in XBoX Accessibility
    Trying to change the microsoft account associated with my Gamertag: Hello I want my old gamertag that is on my old xbox 360 transfered to my new email account. I logged into my old xbox and when I try to use the option "Change Microsoft Account" it tells me...