How does Xbox Live Gold work for child accounts?

Discus and support How does Xbox Live Gold work for child accounts? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Recently bought my son an Xbox One and set him up as a child account. i bought Live Gold but when he tries to play online, he gets the prompt that he... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by KodiakFan24, Sep 20, 2018.

1. KodiakFan24
    KodiakFan24 Guest

Recently bought my son an Xbox One and set him up as a child account. i bought Live Gold but when he tries to play online, he gets the prompt that he needs to buy Live Gold. Does him having a child account of a user with Live Gold not allow him to play
    online?

:)

KodiakFan24, Sep 20, 2018
  2. Cannot add child to XBox Live.

Cannot add child to XBox Live. They already have an offline profile and gamer tag but will not allow me to update it to XBox Live. This worked okay for older child on 22 Jan but does not work for second child today. Does anyone know why?

ExiledTie3029, Sep 20, 2018
  3. i have a question about xbox console banning

whats jmho? and how does xbox live for xbox one work? do i have to rebuy a gold membership

NervousArc0396, Sep 20, 2018
  4. How does Xbox Live Gold work for child accounts?

There are settings an Adult account in a Microsoft Account family can set for a child account: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ge-childs-xbox-privacy-online-safety-settings

But that message would be more specific if that was what was preventing him from playing online. It would call out Privacy and Online Safety settings for the account. I'd recommend you do look into those settings to help protect your child online.

What he's seeing is that his account doesn't recognize that it has a Gold subscription. What I would recommend doing is visiting his Microsoft Account page at account.microsoft.com and check that it does say he has Gold under the Services & Subscriptions
    tab.

If it does say he has active Gold subscription on that page, then next troubleshooting steps I'd try are a full power cycle by pressing the Xbox button on the console for 10 seconds until it powers down, then power it back up and try again, or

remove the profile from the Xbox and then re-add it, by following the steps here Add or Remove a Microsoft Account on Xbox One , and try again.

PalmettoBling, Sep 20, 2018
  5. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest
    Smwutches, Sep 20, 2018
  6. KodiakFan24
    KodiakFan24 Guest
    Thanks, I logged in to his account and he does not have a subscription to Live Gold. But I do. Shouldn't he have access to it as a child account of mine?

KodiakFan24, Sep 20, 2018
  7. XBF Chris J
    XBF Chris J Guest
    Hey Kodiac!

Unfortunately Xbox live gold does not work that way. In order to share your gold subscription, please follow the steps on this link

Here for home console sharing.

Also make sure your sons privacy settings allow him to go online in the first place.

You can find that here

Hope this helps!

XBF Chris J, Sep 20, 2018
  8. KodiakFan24
    KodiakFan24 Guest

ah, ok. I didn't realize I had to sign into the console itself. once I did that and confirmed it was the home Xbox, I switched users back to my son, and he was able to successfully login. thanks!

KodiakFan24, Nov 5, 2018
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: