How do I stop my Xbox controller from randomly turning off when a headset is plugged into...

Discus and support How do I stop my Xbox controller from randomly turning off when a headset is plugged into... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Xbox controller turns off intermittently while playing COD and any other game. This only happens when a headset is plugged into the 3.5mm jack and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Elliott Rusk, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Elliott Rusk
    Elliott Rusk Guest

How do I stop my Xbox controller from randomly turning off when a headset is plugged into...

My Xbox controller turns off intermittently while playing COD and any other game. This only happens when a headset is plugged into the 3.5mm jack and most of the time in party chat. This was happening on my old Xbox one S, so I figured I’d buy a new Xbox series x. This continues to happen with a brand new Xbox series x, a brand new controller, brand new batteries (or rechargeable), and a brand new headset. I have literally replaced everything from a hardware perspective and this is still happening. All firmware is up to date, I’ve reset and tried unplugging and re-pairing more than one controller and it keeps happening. I am actively using the controller when it powers off and back on randomly. I don’t know what else to try!!

:)

Elliott Rusk, Dec 14, 2023
  2. Myles Holler Win User

My new xbox series x controller keeps on disconnecting

I am using the original xbox one model

Yes the controller will randomly disconnect by itself. It also turned off when I plugged in one of my headsets.

The controller I mentioned is the normal xbox series controller.

Yes I updated the controller and the problem still continues.
  3. Elliott Rusk Win User

How do I stop my Xbox controller from randomly turning off when a headset is plugged into the 3.5mm jack?

The last things I’ve tried is to update the firmware on my controller, put in new batteries and restart my series x console. I’m using a brand new Microsoft controller that came with my series x. I have the same problem with the other 3 (newer) controllers. I’ve been having this same issue for months before I decided to purchase a new Xbox. Now that I have a new Xbox the issue persists. There are no error messages other than when the controller turns off mid-game it says to reconnect a controller.

I have tried multiple headsets, including a new one that I just purchased this week and the 3.5mm jack is clean with no obstructions.

I cannot think of any other troubleshooting options and I don’t understand how this carried over from my old console to a brand new one
  4. Yanyannnn Win User

How do I stop my Xbox controller from randomly turning off when a headset is plugged into the 3.5mm jack?

Hello Elliott Rusk,

Thank you for your contribution to the Microsoft community.

We totally understand that you want to fix the issue with your controller. Just a reminder, we are not able to double check your account and device here manually since we do not have the option to. No worries, we do have some troubleshooting steps here that we may try.

Before proceeding, I need to know more details so that we can get the best possible troubleshooting for you.

-May I know what was the last changes/updates you made on your end before the issue occurred?
    - Is everything completely working before?
    -Are you getting any error message?
    - What controller are you using?

Basing on the statement you provided above, here are some troubleshooting steps that you may try:

Update your controller firmware: Make sure that your controller firmware is up to date. You can do this by connecting your controller to your Xbox console and checking for updates in the settings menu.

Try a different headset: If you have access to another headset, try using it to see if the issue persists. This will help you determine if the issue is with the headset or the controller.

Check the headset jack: Make sure that the 3.5mm jack on your controller is clean and free of debris. You can use a can of compressed air to blow out any dust or debris that may be inside the jack.

Reset your Xbox console: Try resetting your Xbox console to see if that resolves the issue. To do this, press and hold the power button on your console for 10 seconds. Once the console has turned off, wait a few seconds and then turn it back on.

Hope I helped! Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further concerns.

YanYannn
    Microsoft Community Moderator
  5. Yanyannnn Win User

Hello Elliott Rusk,

Thank you for your reply, trying basic troubleshooting, and for clarifying things on my end.

If I may ask, is the issue happening when you play a specific game or to all of the games? (Please provide me the game title) If the issue is only happening to a specific game, then we can conclude that the issue is with the game itself. If this is the case, you will need to directly contact the game developer so that they can double check your account and their system for the possible issue.

If the issue is happening to all your games, it would be the best if you contact our dedicated Xbox Live support so that they can double check your account, and devices. They will be able to escalate this one to our dedicated higher team if necessary. I would be grateful if I am able to this process here on my end. However, we do not have the tool and we have limitations here on community.

Please follow the steps below to reach out to our live support team:

1. Please use this link: Contact us | Xbox Support
    2. Scroll down and look at the lower left side if you can see the page matches the country/region you are currently located.
    3. If not, please select the country/region it is showing and select the correct one among the lists.
    4. Make sure to use to check the available contact times of the support.
    5. Select the "Contact Us" button
    6. Select the drop-down menu options that will match your concern.
    7. The next window will provide you with support articles based on your request and we recommend reviewing the relevant articles before selecting the "See contact options" button.
    8. On the final window, you will be presented with multiple options. We suggest selecting either the "Chat online" or the "Request a call" options to speak with someone. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible.
    9. If you cannot get connected to the support, please use the Virtual Agent and enter this exact phrase, "Talk to an agent".
    10. Should you be encountering issues contacting support, you may try InPrivate Window of your browser, other browser, different device/s or connect to different network.

Hope I helped!

YanYannn
    Microsoft Community Moderator
  6. MAGlC MOOSE Win User

Stereo headset adapter no longer working - stuck on mute

Hey everyone,

I know this is a few years late, but from what I have read everywhere what worked for me has not been said yet when everything else did not work.After trying the resetting of the controller and Xbox, updating the controller, plugging the adapter in and out,
    and all those other things.

What worked for me was plugging the headset I was trying to use into my controller, then letting it turn on the headset until sounds comes out. After it is on unplug the headset then plug in the adapter. The mute light should be off and it should work again
    until the controller is turned off. Once the controller turns off these steps have to repeated.
Thema:

1. How do I stop my Xbox controller from randomly turning off when a headset is plugged into... - Similar Threads - stop controller randomly

2. The audio won't work on my Xbox and my controller won't stop pressing the fake A button

in XBoX on Windows
    The audio won't work on my Xbox and my controller won't stop pressing the fake A button: The audio does not play at all and my controller won't stop pressing A fakely. Is there a way to fix this? f85344fb-cd63-4abb-ac48-68a01636c631
  3. Some of the buttons on my Series X controller just stopped working...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Some of the buttons on my Series X controller just stopped working...: Hi! I was playing Forza Horizon 5 when I went back to the Home Screen to do something but after I did that my controller decided it didn't wanna respond to anything unless I was pressing the Xbox...
  4. controller stop functioning after few minutes

in XBoX on Consoles
    controller stop functioning after few minutes: I recently purchased an Xbox Series X|S controller for PC gaming. Unfortunately, today the battery leaked, causing my hands to get oily. I disposed of the batteries, and now I'm attempting to use...
  5. Controller stops working in COD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller stops working in COD: Xbox 1 controller stops working in COD 3124af11-dc99-4735-8266-9fcf0de37f69
  6. Series X Controllers D-Pad and Joystick wont stop moving

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X Controllers D-Pad and Joystick wont stop moving: My controller suddenly started cycling through a menu of my game and wont stop when i move left it goes right when i move down it jumps back up i don't know that's happening. Ive tried hard...
  7. My xbox series controller has randomly stopped working and will no longer work

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series controller has randomly stopped working and will no longer work: I usually play on my pc with my xbox controller connected via USB. Today when hopped on and played for 2 mins, I've noticed none of my inputs were going through and the controller was not on. I...
  8. Controller stopped connecting randomly

in XboX Insiders
    Controller stopped connecting randomly: I use my phone charger to play with my controller and ever since last night my controller won't connect and keeps on flashing when I turn it on. I tried unsyncing and syncing again but that won't...
  9. Xbox controller randomly stopped working..?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller randomly stopped working..?: Hello, I was playing my favorite game, NBA 2k23 when all of a sudden all of my controller buttons stopped working! The sticks and triggers worked fine but everything else was unresponsive. Tried...
  10. Xbox Wireless Controller stops responding to inputs randomly (Windows 10)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Controller stops responding to inputs randomly (Windows 10): My Xbox Wireless Controller (2020 model, plugged into my PC via USB) has recently started randomly freezing up where it will stop accepting inputs (and sometimes hold the input that was pressed...