How do I rename Xbox Controllers connected to PC via Xbox Wireless Receiver?

Discus and support How do I rename Xbox Controllers connected to PC via Xbox Wireless Receiver? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have 4 Xbox Wireless Controllers connected to a Windows 10 PC, via an Xbox Wireless Receiver. All 4 controllers are identified identically in the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Mojoronomous, Feb 18, 2024.

1. Mojoronomous
    Mojoronomous Guest

I have 4 Xbox Wireless Controllers connected to a Windows 10 PC, via an Xbox Wireless Receiver.

All 4 controllers are identified identically in the system. Trying to distinguish one from another so we can all play games together is difficult.

Example:

• Printers & Devices shows 4 identical instances of "Xbox One Wireless Controller"
    • Steam shows 4 identical "XINPUT CONTROLLER" instances
    • Xbox Accessories app has 4 identical "Xbox Wireless Controller" instances

I assume there must be a simple way to rename these somewhere, because this is an obvious use case, and the wireless receiver advertised itself for this kind of setup. However, I'm not finding it & no guide I've seen shows a way that works with this setup.

How do I rename these controllers - Ex Black Controller, White Controller, etc?

Thanks for any help!

:)

Mojoronomous, Feb 18, 2024
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

Will new XBOX Series X controllers work with the XBOX 360 Wireless Receiver on my PC

3. StuartATrueRed Win User

Connecting a xbox360 controller to a pc thru xbox360

Hi, you need the USB receiver to connect a wireless Xbox 360 controller to your PC. But since the wireless receiver has been discontinued, the only option is to purchase a controller that can connect via Bluetooth or with a wire
    instead.
  4. Jomari Arc Win User

Adding Xbox One Controller Drivers Windows 10

Hi,

There are several reasons why an Xbox controller does not work on Windows 10 PC. We can try to connect the controller via wireless, here is a

link
    on how to troubleshoot and connect an Xbox controller via wireless.

We'll keep an eye on your response.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Windows 10 does not recognize the Xbox 360 controller

Hi,

I suspect you're attempting to connect an Xbox 360 wireless controller to your PC using a Play & Charge cable? Effectively making it a wired controller?

I'm afraid this won't work. Unlike Xbox One/Series X controllers, wireless 360 controllers are always wireless, connecting a Play & Charge simply charges the battery or powers the controller if no battery is present. Unfortunately the cable doesn't send data.

The only way to connect these controllers to a PC is via an Xbox 360 gaming receiver. The receiver for Xbox one controllers is not compatible.
  6. WPAK Win User

connexion en bluetooth d'une manette Xbox 360 a un pc *Mod Translation: Bluetooth connection of an Xbox 360 controller has a PC*

Web translation:

bluetooth connection of an Xbox 360 controller to a pc

hello, I bought an Xbox 360 controller for my pc, the seller certified me that it will work or I can not connect to bluetooth, there is no cable for the connected I made
    the update of the Windows software, and still nothing since yesterday afternoon I ended up losing patience.
    Thanks for your help

Response:

Hi there,

in order to connect a wireless Xbox 360 controller to a PC you will require a wireless receiver, the 360 controllers do not support bluetooth.
    Please see this link for the exact steps on how to use a 360 controller and wireless receiver on a PC:

https://support.xbox.com/xbox-on-windows/accessories/connect-xbox-one-controller-to-pc
Thema:

1. How do I rename Xbox Controllers connected to PC via Xbox Wireless Receiver? - Similar Threads - rename Controllers connected

2. My controller won't turn on

in XBoX on Consoles
    My controller won't turn on: My controller won't turn on I used a wire for it and tried new batteries but it won't turn on but I was just using it this morning with a charging c cable bc536c90-da0b-4b12-9d3f-d8565e0ce9ce
  3. Xbox controller only functions when connected to power

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller only functions when connected to power: I want to use an Xbox wireless controller on pc. My PC has Bluetooth 5.3 (MSI B650 Gaming Plus WIFI, Ryzen 5 7500f, RX 7800xt). I have tried two different brand new controllers and had the same...
  4. Why did I spend over 100$s for this Xbox elite controller....smh it's poor to say the least...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why did I spend over 100$s for this Xbox elite controller....smh it's poor to say the least...: THIS CONTROLLER IS NOT BETTER THEN THE ORIGINAL VERSION. IT JUST COST MORE AND IS VERY FRUSTRATING... PLEASE STOP MAKING THESE CONTROLLERS.. ANYTHING THAT COMES APART INN COMPETITIVE GAMES SHOULD...
  5. Help with Android cloud gaming with SteelSeries Stratus XL controller

in XboX Insiders
    Help with Android cloud gaming with SteelSeries Stratus XL controller: Hoping it's not my phone's fault not being good enought but there's a bit of controller input lag that's enough to make it not worth playing but besides my phone I also am using the old Steel...
  6. You’ve already renamed this account please try again later, how to fix

in XBoX on Consoles
    You’ve already renamed this account please try again later, how to fix: Hello I recently bought halo chief master collection on Steam and when trying to sign into Microsoft put one letter Off my email and now I cannot gain access to the game at all. It is a cycle of...
  7. How to revert a name change immediately because I accidentally renamed myself something I...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to revert a name change immediately because I accidentally renamed myself something I...: My friend accidentally renamed my name and now i have to wait for 30 days, I am personally really disappointed and sad because I had my old username for 5 years and I will be sad if someone takes...
  8. I cant rename my Xbox one controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    I cant rename my Xbox one controller: Hello team, I cant rename my Xbox one controller. OS: W10 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3636) Scenario: Type in Control Panel on the Cortana Search field. Click on Hardware & Sound. Select Devices...
  9. Xbox Series X randomly disconnects from network, nothing fixes it until I rename my device...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X randomly disconnects from network, nothing fixes it until I rename my device...: I purchased my Xbox Series X in December, it's still under warranty. It will randomly disconnect from the network and will not connect after updating, restarting, etc. The only way to get the...
  10. I am trying to rename my account but the username for it is taken by an old account.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I am trying to rename my account but the username for it is taken by an old account.: I am trying to rename my account but the username for it is taken by an old account. For context My current gaming username is WyWall_2 where as my username that I want it to be is WyWall. Years...