How do I remove the broken update from my working xbox 360 slim 250 gig console?

Discus and support How do I remove the broken update from my working xbox 360 slim 250 gig console? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Title says it all really, my much loved machine will not progress beyond the logo screen or recognize a controller either wired or wireless even with... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Mortsoul, May 14, 2015.

1. Mortsoul
    Mortsoul Guest

How do I remove the broken update from my working xbox 360 slim 250 gig console?

Title says it all really, my much loved machine will not progress beyond the logo screen or recognize a controller either wired or wireless even with sinc buttons pressed.

The console has been getting progressively worse since the update. To begin with loading time and quitting out time, in both games and apps and when turning on the console got longer, then black screens would appear in games before cut scenes, the music
    player would jump during these black screens and now the console is as I said above hung at the 360 logo.

Today I tried turning the machine on without the 250 gig internal hard drive connected and it booted up, went to the dashboard and prompted me that an update was required all very quickly as it did before the update. After quitting out and shutting down
    the machine I reconnected the drive and powered it up to get the same problem as before.

So my question is how can I get to the dashboard with the hard drive connected so that I can remove the update or updates that are the cause of the problem?

:)

Mortsoul, May 14, 2015
  2. data transfer from 250 gig to 320 gig

i have a ? i have a slim 250 gig how do and im getting the new 320 gig speical editon gears one how do i transfer the data from the 250 to my new 320...................?

ViscousMoleman, May 14, 2015
  3. Cosmic Blood
    Cosmic Blood Guest
    How can i transfer my data from 1 360 S to another 360 S

I just bought an gears of war xbox 360 with the 320 hard drive and i already have another 250 gig xbox 360 slim how do i transfer from my 250 to my 320 gig because i want to take use of the extra space but the transfer cable i have is for the old x box 360
    and it wont fit onto the new hardrive. Does any body know how i would transfer my data

Cosmic Blood, May 14, 2015
  4. Mortsoul
    Mortsoul Guest

could I get a support member to look at this please?

Mortsoul, May 15, 2015
  5. Mortsoul
    Mortsoul Guest
    Still waiting on that response

Mortsoul, May 17, 2015
  6. Mortsoul
    Mortsoul Guest
    Sorry can only be on this forum once a day after work.

Mortsoul, May 18, 2015
  7. Hey there Mortsoul!

Sorry to hear about the update issues, I can definitely understand how frustrating that could be. I recommend trying a few troubleshooting steps to see if we can get this issue sorted:

• First, remove your hard drive from your Xbox 360.
    • If possible, try using using a different storage device with your console such as a different hard drive or a USB flash drive.
    • Once you have inserted a different storage device, follow the prompts to update your console.
    • Once your console has completed the update, try reinserting your original hard drive to see if the issue continues.
    Give the suggested steps a try and be sure to let us know the results. Thanks in advance!

Mister Quimby, May 19, 2015
  8. Mortsoul
    Mortsoul Guest

Thank you for replying Mr Quimby. I am trying that now will let you know how it works out.

Mortsoul, May 20, 2015
  9. Mortsoul
    Mortsoul Guest
    No luck I'm afraid. removed the drive, found an old flash drive and installed the update no problem was taken to the dashboard all good. Then shutdown the machine, reinserted the hard drive and restarted my Xbox. As before the just the 360 logo and no further.
    If you have any other ideas let me know. If you could tell me that I can recover my Gamertag and download history and reinstall to a new Hard drive then I guess I will need a new internal hard drive. If I would need to buy everything again though I would have
    to think about cancelling my subscription. which I do not want to do but would have no choice as the cost would be too great.

Mortsoul, May 20, 2015
  10. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest
    Any you purchase can be redownloaded for free from your download history and you can redownload your gamertag from the servers. The only thing you would need to try to save are your game saves unless you already have those on the cloud.

Smwutches, May 20, 2015
  11. Wait the patch update to be released, and launch without hard drive. Download update, and restart Xbox with hard drive.

ColtonLeseman, May 20, 2015
  12. ChrisGentile
    ChrisGentile Guest
    Hey Mortsoul,

Definitely some awesome solutions here! And I definitely apologize that you are having such a tough time getting your console working. Is it still freezing on boot up?

If it is, I would like you to follow the following steps: (***WARNING***Make sure that there is no disc in the disc drive when you follow these steps***)

1. Turn on console and confirm that it is still freezing on boot up.
    2. If it freezes on boot up, press and hold the power button on the front of the console for 10 seconds. It will start blinking and then shut down. Don't remove your finger from the power button until the console has shut down.
    3. Unplug the power supply cord from the surge protector or wall outlet.
    4. Unplug the power supply cord from the console.
    5. Separate the power supply cord from the power brick and lay both pieces aside.
    6. Unplug your ethernet cord from the console. If connecting via wifi, please turn off your router.
    7. Unplug your AV or HDMI cord from the tv or monitor it is plugged into.
    8. Unplug AV or HDMI cord from back of console
    9. Remove any external hard drives, usb devices, usb cords, microphone cords, etc. from the console.
    10. Remove the hard drive and check it over to see if anything looks warped.
    11. Place the hard drive aside and replace the side cover.
    12. Firmly connect the power supply cord to the power supply brick and first plug it into the back of the console.
    13. If possible, if you were using an HDMI cord, get a completely different one or borrow it from your cable box to tv setup and connect it to the back of your Xbox and to a different input on your TV.
    14. If you have any wireless controllers, remove the batteries from the them and place them aside with the controller.
    15. Plug the console into a wall outlet. If it was plugged into a wall outlet previously, choose a different one. If you were plugging it into a surge protector, plug it into the wall outlet. If you can't, plug it into a different outlet on the surge protector
      then the one it was plugged into.
    16. On the console, I want you to push and hold in the silver "Sync" button that is right next to the door where the USB plug-ins are for controllers
    17. Press the power button once and KEEP HOLDING DOWN THE SYNC BUTTON but DO NOT HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON
    18. Give this about 8 minutes.
    19. Then, I want you to press and hold the power button on the front of the console for 10 seconds. It will start blinking and then shut down. Don't remove your finger from the power button until the console has shut down.
    20. Unplug the power supply cord from the surge protector or wall outlet.
    21. Reinsert the hard drive and keep pushing it in until you hear a distinctive "click"
    22. Replace the hard drive cover.
    23. Plug the power supply into the surge protector or wall outlet.
    24. On the console, I want you to push and hold in the silver "Sync" button that is right next to the door where the USB plug-ins are for controllers
    25. Press the power button once and KEEP HOLDING DOWN THE SYNC BUTTON but DO NOT HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON
    26. Give this about 8 minutes.
    27. Then, I want you to press and hold the power button on the front of the console for 10 seconds. It will start blinking and then shut down. Don't remove your finger from the power button until the console has shut down.
    28. Next step can go 2 different ways. If you have a controller that is wired, follow step 29. If you just have a wireless controller, repeat steps 24-26.
    29. Plug in your controller to one of the front USB ports.
    30. On the controller, press and hold down the RB (right bumper) and Y button.
    31. Turn on your console.
    32. Wait 10 minutes.
    Let me know what happens when you do all this. Here is the issue we have now: Your hard drive has the update on it as does your systems internal hard drive. Your 250gb hard drive may also have corrupt data on it, and most likely your profile is both on the
    console internal memory and the hard drive. Another issue is that your game saves are probably split between the hard drive and the internal system memory and your game is just on your hard drive.

As a general rule of thumb, keep your profile on your internal hard drive, and on your external, games and all game saves.

If those steps above don't work, try this:

1. Turn on your console and immediately begin pressing the disc tray eject button until the disc tray comes out.
    2. Unplug your power supply from the wall with the tray out.
    3. SLOWLY AND GENTLY push your disc tray in until its only in half way.
    4. Make sure your console is connected via ethernet
    5. Plug your console back in
    6. Your console will either auto start and pull the tray in or you will need to turn it on and it will pull the tray in.
    The 3 different steps above are all ways to remove the corrupted system update. Remember, you aren't just removing one-you have to remove both updates which makes this trickier. If you can boot the console without your hard drive in, you can try disabling
    auto sign in and then try booting it with your consoles hard drive inserted.

Let us know how this goes. I have a lot of different things we can try!

DHG Azazel Xbox Community Ambassador

ChrisGentile, May 20, 2015
  13. Mortsoul
    Mortsoul Guest

Smwuthches are you saying that both my GT and download history are on the servers? Then I'll just get a new Internal hard drive and start all my games from scratch. I will mourn the loss of some truly excellent Halo pics and vids though.

Agent Zero 85, I think that's what I just did with the flash drive as suggested above.

DHG Azazel, I did points 1-24 as par for any 360 crash. 15-32 read a related thread earlier which suggested this and it had no effect.

thank you all for your suggestions. As long as my download history and GT are safe this isn't the end of the world, just a hit to the wallet.

Mortsoul, May 21, 2015
  14. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest
    Yes. Your account is attached to the Xbox servers and your purchase history is attached to your account. So if you don't mind losing the saves then it sounds like that might be the right thing for you.

Smwutches, May 21, 2015
  15. Mortsoul
    Mortsoul Guest
    Smwuthches, thank you for confirming that. Anyone know which update technician I should send my old drive to?

Mortsoul, May 21, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I remove the broken update from my working xbox 360 slim 250 gig console? - Similar Threads - remove broken update

2. How to remove black dust marks from Series S

in XboX Insiders
    How to remove black dust marks from Series S: So I am cleaning my series S a few minutes ago and there's like a black dust smudge that I can't seem remove. God knows where it came from. I tried cleaning it off with wet wipes and alcohol and...
  3. how do i remove a edge virus

in XBoX on Windows
    how do i remove a edge virus: pretty much everytime i click on something on my xbox’s microsoft edge i get taken to a tab called nossairt or waisheph which shows me some sort of add and makes it impossible to use the edge...
  4. How to Remove an Account From a Non-Working Xbox?

in XboX Insiders
    How to Remove an Account From a Non-Working Xbox?: So I just bought a used Xbox One X from Amazon it worked the First Day I managed to make an account and download some free games but the next day it wouldn’t connect so I’m going to return it but...
  5. Ban [mod removed] he said he was gonna kill me irl and cussing

in XBoX on Consoles
    Ban [mod removed] he said he was gonna kill me irl and cussing: Ban [mod removed] he is cussing and talking about killing 6ca2dd2b-697f-46ad-b968-8bc8e2ec7283
  6. Removing an item from the xbox store

in XBoX Accessibility
    Removing an item from the xbox store: I work with a partner who developed an item they are selling on the xbox store. They have since closed their company and wish to remove the item from the store. Unfortunately they no longer have...
  7. [mod removed] bad him for cheating in the game and laugua at people

in XBoX on Consoles
    [mod removed] bad him for cheating in the game and laugua at people: [mod removed] bad him for cheating in the game and laugua at people ea0a06d0-3ab1-4ba8-a976-9ff1bd8985e7
  8. [Mod removed]

in XBoX on Windows
    [Mod removed]: the service sent my Xbox to the wrong address. Ups tracking number [mod removed] Do I have to search?? This is very infuriating. aa44f982-f834-4eb0-bcec-95dd95d0ba5b
  9. I had gameshared with a friend earlier today and my own Xbox got removed from home when It...

in XBoX on Windows
    I had gameshared with a friend earlier today and my own Xbox got removed from home when It...: So I've been dealing with my Xbox having a constant removal on my home on my Xbox whenever I game share with my two friends and it keeps on removing itself when it's activated and just bugs the...
  10. Why is adding friends absolutely broken and removing my friends

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is adding friends absolutely broken and removing my friends: I've been dealing with this for over a year and not a single agent has been able to help what am I supposed to do not like you'll send me a new console or anything because that'd "cut company...