How do I make a desktop shortcut of a game installed through the Windows Store ??

Discus and support How do I make a desktop shortcut of a game installed through the Windows Store ?? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have just recently installed Starfield through the Microsoft Store app, I can see it when I press the Windows key and it gives me the option also to... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Kevin Ho3, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Kevin Ho3
    Kevin Ho3 Guest

How do I make a desktop shortcut of a game installed through the Windows Store ??

I have just recently installed Starfield through the Microsoft Store app, I can see it when I press the Windows key and it gives me the option also to make a Taskbar shortcut but I cannot find any way to make a desktop shortcut. I've followed other questions advice saying that after pressing the Windows button you can just drag the Icon onto the desktop however that doesn't work. It is unlike other installations where I can access the program files and create a shortcut from there.

:)

Kevin Ho3, Sep 3, 2023
  2. Kevin Ho3 Win User

Did you already forget your first response to me before making this second response ? Because you gave me the exact same solution that I already said didn't work. The only options I had after pinning it to the taskbar or start menu was the attached image and that is still the case even after my solution that I'm posting underneath this image.
    [​IMG]

None of your solutions would of worked. I had to forcefully gain control of Windows App folder before being able to access the (BethesdaSoftworks.ProjectGold_1.7.23.0_x64__3275kfvn8vcwc ) Folder within and from there making a shortcut direct from the EXE file. Seems like applications installed through the Windows Store is now highly restrictive on user freedom.
  3. SwordofWhedon Win User

if you look in the start menu, you'll see recently used programs, if you right click on it and rhen are you should be able to create a shortcut. Dragging also has worked for me in the past.
  4. Mae Sev. Win User

Hello Kevin Ho3,

We appreciate you for sharing this with us right away and welcome to Xbox Forums.

We understand that you are having trouble creating a desktop shortcut for a game installed through the Microsoft Store app. Let us work on this together.

To proceed, create a desktop shortcut for a game installed through the Microsoft Store app, please follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Start menu.

2. Find the game you want to create a shortcut for in the Start menu.

3. Right-click on the game and select "More" from the context menu.

4. Select "Pin to taskbar" to create a taskbar shortcut for the game.

5. Once the game is pinned to the taskbar, right-click on the taskbar shortcut and select "Open file location" from the context menu.

6. This will open the game's installation folder in File Explorer.

7. Right-click on the game's executable file (usually ending in .exe) and select "Create shortcut".

8. A shortcut to the game's executable file will be created on your desktop.

If you are still unable to create a desktop shortcut for the game, please try resetting the game's installation by following these steps:

1. Open the Start menu and search for "Apps & features".

2. Select "Apps & features" from the search results.

3. Find the game you want to reset in the list of installed apps and click on it.

4. Select "Advanced options".

5. Scroll down to the "Reset" section and click on the "Reset" button.

6. Follow the prompts to reset the game's installation.

7. Once the reset is complete, try creating a desktop shortcut for the game again using the steps above.

Source: Cannot find the icon to start a game - Microsoft Support

I hope this helps you create a desktop shortcut for your game. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  5. Kevin Ho3 Win User

Thank you, this works way better than the method I used.
  6. Kevin Ho3 Win User

I tried the first section and all it displays is the Exe and Unpin from Taskbar, I then tried the second option and it still only displays the Exe and Unpin from taskbar option.
Thema:

1. How do I make a desktop shortcut of a game installed through the Windows Store ?? - Similar Threads - desktop shortcut game

2. Is there a way with Game Bar, to Record at a different resolution than the Desktop or Game...

in XBoX on Windows
    Is there a way with Game Bar, to Record at a different resolution than the Desktop or Game...: Just wondering how to capture in a different resolution than the Desktop/Default/Game is set at? For example, if your Desktop is set to 1920x1080, and the Game itself starts and runs at...
  3. Why does my Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, Black work on my personal desktop but not work on...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, Black work on my personal desktop but not work on...: I work remote. My team can hear me on Zoom or Skype on my personal desktop. But in Citrix and the cati or whatever that software is that we use to do surveys, one or both of these aren't working...
  4. Desktop goes to power save using Xbox one

in XBoX on Windows
    Desktop goes to power save using Xbox one: Hello. I have a dell desktop I use for gaming. I use Xbox one. It's works fine but sometime last week I let my nephews play. Don't know what happened but not my desktop goes into power save mode....
  5. Screen Flickering to Desktop while playing Xbox App Games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Screen Flickering to Desktop while playing Xbox App Games: There's a weird graphical issue I'm having when playing games through the Xbox app on Windows 11. When clicking or pressing any buttons in the game, the screen briefly flickers and shows the...
  6. Wordament not working on my desktop

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Wordament not working on my desktop: Within the last two days I have attempted to open Wordament (in Microsoft Ultimate Word Games) on my Surface Pro running Windows 10. The game opens, and then immediately closes. I gave this some...
  7. Fsx se Api.dll crash to desktop.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Fsx se Api.dll crash to desktop.: Hi Hoping someone can help me out. I have the steam addition of flightsim FSX. Running it on windows 10 but sometimes when I start flightsim it crashes to desktop and in event viewer I get the...
  8. How do i disable create new desktop? or just the entire desktop thing in general

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do i disable create new desktop? or just the entire desktop thing in general: Every single time i use ctrl in a video game i fatfinger windows and open a new virtual desktop. please help me find a way to disable this horrible feature. bd5498ed-7b61-4a96-9a0e-b5f76a1d7b8c
  9. How to get shortcut to MS Solitaire Collection on desktop?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to get shortcut to MS Solitaire Collection on desktop?: I have just reinstalled my parents computer with Windows 10. I'd like for them to have a shortcut on the desktop to the Microsoft Solitaire Collection, one of the few games the regarly play....
  10. How to get shortcut to MS Solitaire Collection on desktop?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to get shortcut to MS Solitaire Collection on desktop?: I have just reinstalled my parents computer with Windows 10. I'd like for them to have a shortcut on the desktop to the Microsoft Solitaire Collection, one of the few games the regarly play....