How do I keep my classic gamertag and make my modern gamertag match it?

Discus and support How do I keep my classic gamertag and make my modern gamertag match it? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; My "modern gamertag" does not match my "classic gamertag". I want to change my modern gamertag to match my classic gamertag, or remove it entirely and... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by KaijuPlaysGames, Oct 26, 2023.

1. How do I keep my classic gamertag and make my modern gamertag match it?

My "modern gamertag" does not match my "classic gamertag". I want to change my modern gamertag to match my classic gamertag, or remove it entirely and keep just my classic gamertag. I am unable to change it myself through the "change gamertag" option under account management because my classic gamertag is longer than 12 characters, and despite OWNING THE NAME there is no option to clone/duplicate it to my modern gamertag.

:)

KaijuPlaysGames, Oct 26, 2023
  2. ngocphi Win User

You are misquoting it

If you have a classic gamertag with more then 12 characters you can keep it yes as you arent forced onto the new system unless you change your name to the modern gamertag you can't keep the 15 characters as you been told already you are limited to 12 characters on the change

For example I have a OG gamertag based on the old system even though it's not long then 12 its still based on the old system

Now if you used a 360 to bypass the lock to 12 characters that wont work on modern games and won't work very soon as the marketplace is shutting down

Classic and modern gamertags don't come into play in grandfathered accounts.

It's ONLY new accounts or new changes that it affects

But if you made a new account on a xbox 360 the rules still apply

You wouldve had to create an account before 2016 when they changed the system.

Classic gamertag option. Is for GAMES that don't support the new ascii gamertag system like xbox 360 or older games.some xbox one games don't support it yet

But to keep you unique you MUST have a modern gamertag in order to have the name if its already used hence a hashtag reservation of 3

I don't have a classic or modern gamertag because mine is original system which changes when and if I change my name

If you didnt want the 15 characters limit you should've kept the old name if you had a over 15 character name unless you made an acocunt after 2016

Some people still use longer names but only work on forums or 360

Classic gamertag allows you to use an alternative name only for the old games that don't recognize the new gamertags.

Should.be noted longer gamertags can exist because of other ms services like Skype outlook or forums

HOWEVER to be used in xbox games you MUST USE a modern gamertag since you created or change your gamertag after 2016 within the limits of 12 characters
  3. KaijuPlaysGames Win User

Hi David,

The Xbox Gamertag FAQ from Microsoft support's page states:
    "Q: I have more than 12 characters in my gamertag! Do I need to change it?
    "A: Nope. If you like your gamertag the way it is, you keep it."

Well, I like my gamertag the way my classic gamertag is. Why am I forced to change it for the modern gamertag?

Re: My statement about cloning or duplicating:
    I dont want to clone or duplicate a gamertag from one account to another. I want to clone or duplicate the name that already exists in my classic gamertag to my modern gamertag.

There HAS to exist an employee at Microsoft that is able to manage account details from the backend. How do I get in contact with them to resolve this issue?

"However, you can choose not to use or display the modern gamertag and primarily use your classic gamertag instead."
    Great. How?
  4. David Wirsching Win User

Hello, My name is David. I am an independent advisor, happy to help you today.

I understand that you would like to align or remove your "modern gamertag" to match your "classic gamertag" on Xbox. Unfortunately, due to certain limitations and restrictions, it may not be possible to achieve the exact desired outcome. Here are a few points to consider:

Character limit: The "modern gamertag" has a character limit of 12, while your "classic gamertag" exceeds this limit. This means you won't be able to directly change your "modern gamertag" to match your "classic gamertag" if it exceeds 12 characters.

Cloning or duplicating gamertags: Currently, there is no feature or option available to clone or duplicate a gamertag from one account to another. Each gamertag on Xbox Live must be unique, and it's not possible to have two identical gamertags associated with a single account.

Removing the "modern gamertag": If you want to remove your "modern gamertag" and keep only your "classic gamertag," unfortunately, it's not possible to remove the "modern gamertag" entirely. Every Xbox account must have a unique gamertag associated with it. However, you can choose not to use or display the "modern gamertag" and primarily use your "classic gamertag" instead.

Best regards.
  5. David Wirsching Win User

To use your classic gamertag instead of the modern gamertag on Xbox, you can follow these steps:

Sign in to your Xbox account: Go to the Xbox website www.xbox.com and sign in with your Microsoft account credentials.

Access your profile settings: Once you're signed in, click on your profile picture or avatar in the top right corner of the page. From the dropdown menu, select "Profile" to access your profile settings.

Edit your gamertag: In your profile settings, look for the option to edit your gamertag. The exact location and wording may vary depending on the current layout of the Xbox website. It might be under a section like "Customize Profile" or "Edit Gamertag."

Choose the classic gamertag option: Within the gamertag editing section, you should have the option to switch between the modern gamertag and the classic gamertag. Select the classic gamertag option.

Save your changes: After choosing the classic gamertag option, save your changes by following the prompts or clicking the appropriate button. Make sure to review any confirmation messages or additional information provided during the process.

Please note that the availability of the classic gamertag option may depend on various factors, such as the region, account history, and account type. If you don't see the option to switch to the classic gamertag, it's possible that it may not be available for your account.
  6. Sparks0267 Win User

New Gamertag System Suffix Issues

So you said I can change my classic gamertag. How do I change that after already changing my gamertag or do I have to change my entire gamertag again to change the classic one?
Thema:

1. How do I keep my classic gamertag and make my modern gamertag match it? - Similar Threads - keep classic gamertag

2. why does my account keeps sign out on its own when i try to log in

in XBoX on Windows
    why does my account keeps sign out on its own when i try to log in: Why does everytime i try to log onto my xbox account on xbox.com and i put my password it says hang on a moment while we sign in and it wont let me sign in please im desperate i talked to support...
  3. Why do i keep getting item you’re trying to use appears to be corrupt. Try uninstalling and...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do i keep getting item you’re trying to use appears to be corrupt. Try uninstalling and...: For some reason when ever i try to download my call of duty black ops games they don’t wanna download on my external storage they download to my xbox but not my external storage all my other games...
  4. My xbox after being turn of keeps flashing?

in XboX Insiders
    My xbox after being turn of keeps flashing?: My xbox series s after being turned off starts to flash not connect to my tv and my controller stays on does anyone have a clue as to what's happening? submitted by /u/Riley6081 [link] [comments]
  5. The youtube app on my xbox series s keep taking me out the app every time i play a video

in XBoX on Windows
    The youtube app on my xbox series s keep taking me out the app every time i play a video: Every time i open the YouTube app on my xbox series s it keeps crashing every time i try to play a video f8ad5e5e-cd5e-49ab-94d6-0aaa2dd1ee8b
  6. When trying to add my sons friend to his friends list it keeps saying " we cant save your...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    When trying to add my sons friend to his friends list it keeps saying " we cant save your...: Help? Trying to re- add my sons friend so he can play minecraft with him but we keep getting a message saying " we cant save your changes right now try again in a while " after we've approved it ?...
  7. Why do i always keep getting banned for saying basic words, but when many other people say...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why do i always keep getting banned for saying basic words, but when many other people say...: Why do i always get banned for saying basic words, but others do not get banned, even if they say inappropriate words? 1ad069d8-f05c-4b5a-86ef-319d8f43b79e
  8. I keep receiving the system error E102 00000C01 8007045D

in XBoX on Consoles
    I keep receiving the system error E102 00000C01 8007045D: I keep receiving the system error E102 00000C01 8007045D 33d17f4b-f468-4c7a-bc31-2531e78a8289
  9. How to change your classic gamertag but keep your regular gamertag

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to change your classic gamertag but keep your regular gamertag: Hey I accidentally chose the wrong classic gamertag and I want to change it how do I do that c69fdf74-127e-4070-9f44-5106ca09e6bd
  10. Choice to keep classic gamertag in the future?

in XboX Insiders
    Choice to keep classic gamertag in the future?: When the new gamertag system rolls out in the future and newer games adapt to the system, I think it would be cool if we are allowed to display our classic gamertag everywhere instead of our new...