How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S

Discus and support How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I’m trying to get my Series S to work on my 5.1 surround sound system and not having any luck. This set of instructions... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Ben Dean2, Jan 5, 2024.

1. Ben Dean2
    Ben Dean2 Guest

I’m trying to get my Series S to work on my 5.1 surround sound system and not having any luck. This set of instructions

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/hardware-network/console/connect-sound-system#:~:text=Set%20up%20your%20Xbox%20Series%20X%7CS%20console&text=To%20connect%20your%20Xbox%20console,audio)%20port%20on%20the%20console.

Says to use an optical cable, the Series S doesn’t have an optical socket. I’ve looked everywhere for an answer but no one online seems to know how to get it working and when you go to settings for sound the only option is “HDMI Audio Stereo Uncompressed” so no way to switch it to 5.1. The Audio Testing menu says my TV set up doesn’t support 5.1 but it worked fine on my old Xbox One using exactly the same HDMI connections. I’ve even found posts on other forums saying it worked fine until an update about a year ago so did Microsoft accidentally junk that function? Any ideas anyone?

:)

Ben Dean2, Jan 5, 2024
  2. dogsounds Win User

You're more than welcome, I hope it works out :)

[​IMG]
  3. Ben Dean2 Win User

Don't worry DogSounds sorted it for me. Thanks for everyone's help and time
  4. Jhonkito Win User

Hi Ben, my name is Jhon, and will be a pleasure help you

what it says The above message is correct unless your TV is REALLY old, you should be able to use HDMI to send 5.1 or Dolby Digital from the TV to surround sound.

You can follow their instructions.

Best regards
    Jhon
  5. SwordofWhedon Win User

what is the make and model of your television and Soundsystem? How exactly are they connected to each other?
  6. Ben Dean2 Win User

Hi. Thank you soi much for your really detailed reply, it's exactly what I needed. I've got all the HDMI cables connected correctly (so that's a relief to find out I'm not a total idiot) but it was the pass through bit I was missing. I'll give it a go and hopefully it'll sort me out.

Thanks again
Thema:

1. How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S - Similar Threads - Surround Sound Series

2. When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset...: Xbox Series X|S can output surround sound such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X over HDMI with no headset attached. This is great for modern gaming, allowing players to use spatial sound cues (direction...
  3. Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?: The moment I plug my headset in to my Razer Wolverine V2 controller the sound mode on my XBOX changes the audio output to stereo uncompressed. The sound output cannot be changed back to any type...
  4. No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver

in XBoX on Consoles
    No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver: Greetings! I have an old Denon AVR 591 5.1 surround sound system. It's worked great for me for about 15 years, until recently. I upgraded my TV to 4k last year, and realized the Denon cannot...
  5. No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver

in XBoX on Windows
    No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver: Greetings! I have an old Denon AVR 591 5.1 surround sound system. It's worked great for me for about 15 years, until recently. I upgraded my TV to 4k last year, and realized the Denon cannot...
  6. How to setup xbox series x, TV, and surround sound receiver?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to setup xbox series x, TV, and surround sound receiver?: Toshiba TV Series X Yamaha receiver I have the Receiver(HDMI out) connected to the TV(HDMI in) and the Receiver(HDMI #1) connected to the Xbox(HDMI out). It was working perfectly fine, I was...
  7. Lost audio all of a sudden on DTX Surround Sound.

in XBoX on Windows
    Lost audio all of a sudden on DTX Surround Sound.: So I was using my Xbox series s with my Vizio 4k tv that supports DTX Surround Sound and all of a sudden it stopped working. The only way it works is if I'm in the settings for the audio. After I...
  8. Do all apps, stream and surround sound?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Do all apps, stream and surround sound?: Some apps aren’t streaming in surround sound. 366850d2-02f4-472a-878b-50183e8cd4dc
  9. No digital surround sound output from Xbox series X ever since connecting Xbox wireless...

in XBoX on Consoles
    No digital surround sound output from Xbox series X ever since connecting Xbox wireless...: Recently bought the Xbox wireless headset for my series x. At first everything was fine…5.1 surround system working fine when headset is off, and then sound via headset once I turn that on. After...
  10. How to Game/Party Chat on Xbox Series X while using Surround Sound System?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to Game/Party Chat on Xbox Series X while using Surround Sound System?: I am looking for suggestions on what headset or setup to use with Xbox Series X to chat, in-game and Party, without blocking game audio from 7.1 Surround Sound Receiver Speakers. I was thinking...