HDR and Dolby Vision for Gaming no longer working on Xbox Series X

Discus and support HDR and Dolby Vision for Gaming no longer working on Xbox Series X in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So in january of 2023 I bought a brand new Hisense 65 inch 4k HDR (Dolby Vision) TV and a Xbox Series X (previously had a 4k non-HDR tv and a series... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by FunkyPunk95, Sep 29, 2023.

1. FunkyPunk95
    FunkyPunk95 Guest

So in january of 2023 I bought a brand new Hisense 65 inch 4k HDR (Dolby Vision) TV and a Xbox Series X (previously had a 4k non-HDR tv and a series S). I of course set up the HDR in all its glory and was amazed at the difference.

Suddenly, in August of 2023, the HDR randomly just quit working. I have not changed HDMI cords, or ports on my TV. My TV displays a HDR logo/icon in the top right of my TV when it is enabled (usually when booting up a game that uses it) and it quit popping up. So I went to investigate.

I went to look at my settings under "Settings > General > TV & display options". From there the first thing I noticed was that the "Calibrate HDR" box in the setup column was missing entirely. Second, when navigating to the "Advanced" column and going to "Video modes", and "Allow Dolby Vision" and "Dolby Vision for Gaming" are both selected with a checkmark, but "Allow HDR10" and "Auto HDR" are both greyed out and not selectable. In addition to this, I very specifically remember having to select the "Allow auto low-latency mode" option in order to play games with no input lag, while playing games in HDR but this setting is also greyed out and not selectable anymore.

going back to the "Settings > General > TV & display options" screen, and selecting "4K TV details" under the "Setup" column, under the "Playing games" potion of the screen it says "Your TV settup doesn't support HDR10 for gaming. Games won't be shown in HDR" with a red cross-out circle on the left. and it also says "Your TV setup doesn't support Dolby Vision for gaming" with the same red crossed out circle on the left. - These settings used to have a green check mark next to them (or at least the Dolby Vision one was green for sure)

When scrolling down to the "Watching movies and TV" potion of the page, it says "Your TV supports Dolby Vision." with a green check mark on its left.

I can 100% confirm that this specific xbox, on this specific 100, with the same HDMI cords and ports, were allowing me to play games in HDR. I have tested it with multiple games such as the Wither 3, The Division 2, Diablo 4, Assassin's creed Odyssey, Imortals Fenyx Rising, Generation Zero, Forza Horizion 5, and MANY others, and I was always able to calibrate the HDR setting in game, as well as on the "TV & display options" screen. Recently, I have tried to turn HDR on in both lies of P, and Armored Core 6 and the setting is greyed out in game as well and I cannot turn it on. I tried to set it up with my old Series S that my brother-in-law now uses and I got the EXACT same results.

In addition to this, my TV also has a PS5 hooked up to it, and the HDR is working just fine on the PS5. I am trying to attach multiple pictures of both my XBOX series X settings screens and the PS5 with the HDR notification popping up on my TV to show that it is indeed working on that console, but the image uploads are failing on this MS questions page. I will try to add them in an edit.

Xbox is my primary system and the PS5 is technically my fiance's and she only uses it for a flew select console exclusives as she also primarily plays on her own Xbox series S with me.

Does anyone have ANY ideas on how to fix this?

:)

FunkyPunk95, Sep 29, 2023
  2. Richard waddington Win User

How do I make Dolby vision become active on 4 k uhd disc play back even when allow box has been ticked

Hi I have a Xbox series x with a Dolby vision compatible tv also will the allow Dolby vision playback selected in settings on and it still only displays in HDR only when playing 4k blu rays ? I have set it 4k 60hz and the games display in Dolby vision plus streaming apps but not 4k disc playback! Is this correct that the xbox series can’t do this ?
  3. Viper7Gamer Win User

XBOX ONE X used as a Blu Ray player band Dolby Vision

Yes, 4K HDR Dolby Vision works with the Blu-Ray player and NetFlix on the Xbox One X.
  4. T3chnlgydude Win User

Xbox One X Dolby Vision games support late 2019

5. Jesse Mass Win User

Xbox Series X - Screen Glitch/Distortion only during Game loading/static screens (not on any other app)

I just had this same issue on my LG G3 TV. I went in and turned off Dolby Vision on the XBOX Series X and that fixed the issue. HDR works fine. This seems like a issue with a recent update.
  6. STREETGL0W Win User

HDR / Dolby Vision no longer working on Xbox Series X

I run hdmi from arc on tv to arc on receiver - and all game systems plug into receiver - was never a issue before and I run 7.1 home theater / however this I noticed the other day where I no longer have green checks down 4k tv details in xbox menu - Iv tried other hdmi ports - cables - factory resetting tv xbox and receiver - not having any luck
Thema:

1. HDR and Dolby Vision for Gaming no longer working on Xbox Series X - Similar Threads - HDR Dolby Vision

2. Recent Captures Says 4k HDR for Clip, but Captures App Shows 1080 SDR?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Recent Captures Says 4k HDR for Clip, but Captures App Shows 1080 SDR?: I took a brief clip of some gameplay recently, and I noticed that while it says the clip was in 4k HDR viewing it in the "Recent Captures" tab, in the Captures application, it lists the clip at...
  3. Xbox keeps disconnecting from tv when opening hdr games?

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox keeps disconnecting from tv when opening hdr games?: Just went out and bought a 120hz 4k tv with the purpose for gaming, but EVERY game i open immediately forces my tv to say “lost signal” but then i can hit the home button and go back and it...
  4. Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?: Curious as to why my HDR has seemed to just quit out of nowhere. When starting up any game, the screen washes out and becomes overly dim. Nothing in my TV settings or series x settings has...
  5. Auto hdr used to work now it doesnt

in XBoX on Consoles
    Auto hdr used to work now it doesnt: So before it was automatically on and that worked but then i went thru all my settings to turn on 120 fps om 1080 and i didn’t like how it looked so i went back and undid all the changes but now...
  6. Disney+ 4K & YouTube HDR Video Issues

in XboX Insiders
    Disney+ 4K & YouTube HDR Video Issues: Xbox Series X - Alpha OS HDR on YouTube on my Xbox Series X has been broken for some time. Nearly every HDR video has major artifacting such as massively blown out highlights and colour fringing....
  7. Latest Skip Ahead update disabled HDR?

in XboX Insiders
    Latest Skip Ahead update disabled HDR?: Has anyone else had HDR completely disabled on their Xbox after the latest Skip Ahead update? Ive tried switching to different resolutions, making sure Night Mode wasn't on by accident, tried...
  8. I'd like to have hdr work on 1440p monitor if possible

in XBoX on Consoles
    I'd like to have hdr work on 1440p monitor if possible: I have a Series X and I use a gigabyte g32qca with freesync premium pro 165hz 1440p monitor. it can recieve 4k signal and output hdr at 4k signal in 60hz with hdr, or get 1440p at 120hz losing...
  9. Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?: Here's an example of one that's locked that I chimed in on. Over 16,000 people viewed and you STILL haven't acknowledged or resolved the issue. Which is ****....
  10. My tv supports 4k and display resolution is set to 4k HDR, but i am not able to record 4k...

in XBoX on Windows
    My tv supports 4k and display resolution is set to 4k HDR, but i am not able to record 4k...: I am not able to record 4k gameplay resolution, My tv Supports 4k display resolution I enabled in tv and display settings section. However there is no option for 4k recording in preferences...