HDMI audio options keep switching to stereo

Discus and support HDMI audio options keep switching to stereo in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Anyone know why my HDMI audio options keep switching to stereo randomly instead of Bit Stream using Dolby Digital? I want it set to bit stream, and... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/mad597, May 4, 2020.

1. /u/mad597
    /u/mad597 Guest

Anyone know why my HDMI audio options keep switching to stereo randomly instead of Bit Stream using Dolby Digital? I want it set to bit stream, and every couple of days it switches back to stereo.

Xbox one X

Alpha build

HDMI is connected to my TV, using optical out from my TV to connect to my stereo.

My TV correctly sends out Dolby Digital 5.1 when the Xbox is set to bit Stream Dolby digital

submitted by /u/mad597
    [link] [comments]

/u/mad597, May 4, 2020
    1 person likes this.
  2. IceStorm III Win User

Using Audio adapter with HDMI and switching the HDMI input with an HDMI hub, will my Xbox restart?

[quote user="SiNABFDivision"]I use an HDMI hub[/quote]You're using an HDMI switch. HDMI does not support a hub architecture.
    will my Xbox restart when switching between my Xbox HDMI output and my Computer HDMI output when both the HDMI cord and the
    audio adapter are plugged in?
    Not if it's a legitimate audio adapter, it won't.
    if it will restart, is there any way I can get a headset that won't need to do this? If so, what are my options?
    Monoprice sells a wide range of HDMI switches.
    Several have optical audio out. You also have the option of using your TV's optical audio out, though this may be limited to stereo depending on the TV.
  3. editor offline Win User

Dolby Digital decode & audio options

Thanks Koop,

Yeah, that's what is happening, if the option was there to output specifically stereo just for TV it would then allow for the uncompressed or Dolby/DTS for the other apps and gaming.

I think audio-wise when snapping other apps it would keep the main app's setting, i.e. when you have 50hz TV and snap Netflix it stays at 50hz rather than switching to 60hz, so potentially it could keep the stereo audio too.

Ideally it would be good for the xb1 to just switch on the fly and when snapping just keep the main apps audio format.
  4. Garrett Hawke Win User

xb1 dead rising 3 bad in game sound

I found a fix. Go to your system settings and change the audio option from 7HDMI 7.1 to HDMI stereo :) **
  5. Smiling Cat-FAB725BA Win User

5.1 sounds WITH sound on TV

If your are running the HDMI to the receiver and then to your TV I would guess it's the receiver fault. If it's running HDMI to your TV then using its optical or coaxial SPDIF out then I say it's the TVs fault. Either way it should work and not switch between
    stereo and surround. The dashboard and often the main menu in a game will just use the left and right channels and then switch to using all channels when the game is running.

I know if you have both the optical out running to surround the HDMI will still carry a stereo signal along with it which is why you need to mute your TV. I haven't tried it, but possibly disabling display discovery on the 360 might keep it from even trying
    to send the audio signal. Normally the EDID reports if a display has speakers and the 360 will switch to HDMI+A. Haven't checked so might be an option to just select HDMI without disabling the display discovery.
  6. sionetix Win User

No voice track on Xbox p90x

Check the audio settings on your Xbox. There are some options to switch between stereo and surround as well as codecs. For example having your audio set to surround while your speakers only do stereo may cause this issue.
Thema:

1. HDMI audio options keep switching to stereo - Similar Threads - HDMI audio options

2. I’ve tried 3 different tvs and 3 different HDMI cables to try and fix my Xbox audio from...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I’ve tried 3 different tvs and 3 different HDMI cables to try and fix my Xbox audio from...: Is my sound chip faulty, and if so, does Microsoft still do repairs on the Xbox one? 96510a5e-07a6-4d81-ac7b-84e5b36b33d0
  3. Why doesn’t my series s let me extract audio from HDMI

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why doesn’t my series s let me extract audio from HDMI: My One X crapped out on me, it had the optical port that I used to hook up to my Bose speaker. I just got the Series s and notice it doesn’t have an optical port. So i ordered an HDMI/optical...
  4. Why isn't my hdmi audio working?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why isn't my hdmi audio working?: [img] My audio used to always work through hdmi to my monitor and now this is showing up, I've tried switching cable and playing around with the settings but nothing is working. any ideas on how...
  5. Xbox Series X HDMI Audio - Dolby Digital

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X HDMI Audio - Dolby Digital: I am running a 5.1 Sonos sound system through ARC HDMI into my TV. I have an Xbox One and Series X in other HDMI ports of my TV. Xbox One is correctly showing 5.1 and Dolby Digital as options for...
  6. Xbox one not allowed to select hdmi audio

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox one not allowed to select hdmi audio: My xbox one console I noticed had no sound. I check in the audio settings and it was set to optical audio out. It will not let me select hdmi audio, that opton is greyed out. On the general volume...
  7. Weird issue. When "HDMI Audio" is set to "Headset Format", FIFA 22 commentaries are muted...

in XboX Insiders
    Weird issue. When "HDMI Audio" is set to "Headset Format", FIFA 22 commentaries are muted...: Never experienced this issue and I play FIFA every year. When HDMI Audio is set to stereo, there's no problem at all. Only when headset is chosen. Maybe a Dolby Atmos issue when recording saving...
  8. Hdmi e-arc audio Studio quality audio on Xbox series X

in XBoX on Windows
    Hdmi e-arc audio Studio quality audio on Xbox series X: On windows 10 or 11 there is an audio option to change hdmi audio from DVD quality audio to studio Quality audio why is there no option like that on the Xbox series X asking because Dolby audio on...
  9. Dolby Atmos using HDMI audio and a 3.5mm chat headset switch to stereo

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos using HDMI audio and a 3.5mm chat headset switch to stereo: TLDR: Earbuds in the Xbox controller 3.5mm jack (for chat audio only) = no home theater 5.1.2 audio via HDMI. I've reported this issue through the console, but wanted to make a post here to see...
  10. Hdmi audio headset option

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hdmi audio headset option: Hi I am using the steelseries 7x on the series X and in the options it shows hdmi audio headset as an option. Now my headset connects through a wireless dongle, Will I need to have this option...