HD DVD Drive - Will it ever work for XBONE S or X?

Discus and support HD DVD Drive - Will it ever work for XBONE S or X? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I plan on purchasing the Xbox One X when available later this year. I already have an Xbox One S in my living room, the original Xbox One in my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by NahsiK-49527D0D-5549-41CD-AC47-8CE780AE130C, Jun 22, 2017.

1. HD DVD Drive - Will it ever work for XBONE S or X?

I plan on purchasing the Xbox One X when available later this year. I already have an Xbox One S in my living room, the original Xbox One in my bedroom, and my older Xbox 360 with HD DVD player in my daughters room. Well, as luck would have it the Xbox 360
    finally died (RIP). My question is, the HD DVD Player still works but other than having it hooked up to an Xbox 360 is there another way it can be used? Will it be able to work with the upcoming Xbox One X since it'll play XBONE, 360, and original Xbox games?
    I hate to have to throw it away or even worse, trade it in somewhere for $0.35 cents or less.

:)

NahsiK-49527D0D-5549-41CD-AC47-8CE780AE130C, Jun 22, 2017
  2. SupaHype
    SupaHype Guest
    Will the HD DVD xbox360 drive work on the X1?

I bought and regularly use the HD DVD player too... Not simply for just the HD DVD's but also for watching regular DVD's. It helps not to put as much DVD usage on the console drives. Learned that from watching ps2's break every week.

SupaHype, Jun 22, 2017
  3. IceStorm III
    IceStorm III Guest

[quote user="FullHornet"]It makes absolutely no sense why an Xbox One would play DVDs and Blu-Ray's and not play HD DVDs.[/quote]HD DVD and Blu-ray are formatted differently on the disc. Blu-ray players cannot read HD DVDs and vice versa. The exception being
    multi-format drives designed to read both (I have two).

Beyond the physical inability to read an HD DVD in a Blu-ray drive, there's the issue of software. HDi Interactive Format was the standard used to create HD DVD menus and other content on-disc outside of the actual movie files. Blu-ray uses scripts and Java.
    Unless playback software can understand HDi Interactive Format, HD DVD menus won't work and the disc won't play.

If it was possible for Blu-ray players to play HD DVD, people wouldn't be holding onto HD DVD drives.

IceStorm III, Jun 22, 2017
  4. HD DVD Drive - Will it ever work for XBONE S or X?

The HD DVD player was released for the Xbox 360 during the middle of the "format wars" between HD DVD and Blu-Ray, and Blu-Ray was the ultimate victor.

If you want to continue using that player, you'll have to hook it up to another working Xbox 360 console.

There are no plans or announcements to add support for the HD DVD player on the Xbox One. There hasn't been a movie released on HD DVD since 2008, and you can get the same movies on Blu-Ray or streamed online anyway.

Internet Expert, Jun 22, 2017
  5. Internet Expert Win User

The HD DVD player was released for the Xbox 360 during the middle of the "format wars" between HD DVD and Blu-Ray, and Blu-Ray was the ultimate victor.

If you want to continue using that player, you'll have to hook it up to another working Xbox 360 console.

There are no plans or announcements to add support for the HD DVD player on the Xbox One. There hasn't been a movie released on HD DVD since 2008, and you can get the same movies on Blu-Ray or streamed online anyway.
  6. SupaHype Win User

I bought and regularly use the HD DVD player too... Not simply for just the HD DVD's but also for watching regular DVD's. It helps not to put as much DVD usage on the console drives. Learned that from watching ps2's break every week.
  7. Smwutches Win User

Xbox 360 Premium 20Gb Repair

Yes. The HD DVD drive will still work.
  8. M.Nguyen Win User

New HD DVD Player Suddenly Not Working

No self-repair. Previously I had the external 360 HD DVD drive. It failed, and recently bought I new (completely new, never used) one. The console works fine, the HD DVD Drive is the issue.
  9. APACHE N4SIR Win User

Xbox One - FAQ

My question is... Would the XBone have USB ports that one could use to connect accessories like the XB360 has? More specifically, would you be able to connect, implement, then use/access say you XB360 HD-DVD Drive to watch your old (yes defunk but never
    the less still good) HD-DVD's? (Defending my actions for the haters out there) ---> I originally bought the HD-DVD player on liquidation after the media was dropped, my intention was to connect then use the drive to watch regular DVD's so that I wouldn't "burn-out"
    the DVD Drive... I then started to like it. I then started to buy HD-DVD movies (New & Used) and rather liked the picture quality. I liked the fact that I could be watching a movie through the HD-DVD Drive then when I got a game invite (that I was expecting)
    could switch over to playing the game that was already in the tray without moving off the couch (I admit, I'm lazy at times). This action came in handy when I broke my foot and had mobility issues.

Branching off of something NorthernZoot mentioned above:

NORTHERNZOOT WROTE THE FOLLOWING POST AT MON, SEP 23 2013 9:15 AM:

"... Carrying off that idea, would there actually be a benefit to connecting the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One? Would it allow you to seamlessly switch from Xbox 360 to Xbox One with a simple command, or would it just be exactly the same as the 360 runs now,
    but you'd have two devices turned on..."

Not knowing the answer to Zoot's question, let me play off of it: ... Some people would then say (I've heard it before) just plug the HD-DVD Player to the XB360, then the XB360 to the XBone, but that would mean I would have to have two systems on at the
    same time as the XB360 needs to be on in order for the HD-DVD player to be used.

Of the five (yes I said 5) XB360's I have connected in my house, (I'm known for my Halo LAN parties lol) I have 3 (working) HD-DVD Players (two are currently connected to my two systems I use most often), and the other is connected to the PC I have in my
    office and functions as a drive where you can watch HD-DVD media. Not all 3rd party products are able to be used on a PC but the HD-DVD Player was made by Microsoft and my PC runs Microsoft Operating System(s), so I was hoping you would be able to use the
    same logic and connect a MS product to another MS product.

Now some of you are thinking: 'Just drop old technology and move on' (again I've heard this said to me). If this was true then all old systems wouldn't be enjoyed after a new system comes out. I currently have 27 old gaming system/consoles... I like old
    technology, without the old you have no room for the new.

Yes I'm long winded at times lol

Bullet point ...

- Could you connect the XB360's HD-DVD peripheral to the XBone?

- And if so would you use the same USB connector that you'd use to connect to the XB360?
Thema:

1. HD DVD Drive - Will it ever work for XBONE S or X? - Similar Threads - DVD Drive ever

2. DVD Drive Issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    DVD Drive Issue: I have an Xbox 360 and the DVD drive is not reading any games. I have tried different games and I get the same result. I open the tray and put the game in the it says "reading" but doesn't load...
  3. Xbox one s ,new motherboard. New DVD board , using new hard drive 1tb get two of the same...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one s ,new motherboard. New DVD board , using new hard drive 1tb get two of the same...: Xbox one s new mother board came with DVD daughter board. Using 1 tb hard drive . Getting error E101-000005048B050041 .Have tryed 3 500 HD and 2 1tb HD, reassembled DVD to check cables etc still...
  4. Can I burn a DVD to my XBX 360 HARD DRIVE?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can I burn a DVD to my XBX 360 HARD DRIVE?: Can I burn a DVD to my Xbox 360 hard drive? e9e8f71c-7a41-4f4a-81fe-89dbc3ec23dc
  5. Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted...: Hi everyone, I have an Xbox 360 Slim console that I had just replaced the disc drive in (the tray broke in the last one). The problem I am having with it is that when I insert a game disc, the...
  6. Xbox One S: My disc drive went out after watching a DVD on Blu-ray app lastnight.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S: My disc drive went out after watching a DVD on Blu-ray app lastnight.: My disc drive went out after using the Blu-ray app lastnight upon researching on tryna fix it I've come across others that have had problem with there disc drive also after using the Microsoft...
  7. Can't open my xbox 360 dvd drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't open my xbox 360 dvd drive: I try pressing the eject button and tried a paperclip even banging it didn't work (Xbox 360 fat) 79338531-8db9-49ae-8d80-be2ff5cc8ef0
  8. Xbox 1 DVD drive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 1 DVD drive.: Is there any update planned to allow the DVD drive on Xbox 1 play MP3 files? 39c5e0cd-eb4d-4a24-b384-dc446541b07c
  9. Hardware fix for motherboard and DVD drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hardware fix for motherboard and DVD drive: My Xbox one is out of warranty. My CD/DVD drive would not open. So, I got a new one. Installed it. But found out my son threw out the green computer board attached to the drive. Now I can't use my...
  10. Recognition from DVD RW Drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Recognition from DVD RW Drive: How do I get my DVD RW Drive to recognize a xbox 1 cd. My PC is updated and the computer said the DVD RW Drive works fine. The xbox1 game title didn't even show. d724a8d2-f65f-4a96-9a85-d1f7ded9349f