Having Disc Read or Disc Drive Issues? -- Check Here!

Discus and support Having Disc Read or Disc Drive Issues? -- Check Here! in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So you're having some issues getting your console's disc drive and we're here to help fix that right up. Please try all the suggestions below and, if... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Mister Cerb, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Mister Cerb
    Mister Cerb Guest

So you're having some issues getting your console's disc drive and we're here to help fix that right up. Please try all the suggestions below and, if none of them help you out, make a new post in this forum with the requested information. Thanks!

Contents

My console won't read discs.

My console's disc drive is stuck open.

My console's disc drive is stuck shut.

My console is still having issues.

My console won't read discs.

If your console is only having trouble with a certain disc, try these suggestions to see if they can help your issue. If you'd prefer a more interactive guide, be sure to check the official
    Disc Drive Solution
    on support.xbox.com.

Check the disc region.

First, check that the disc you’re using is from the same region as your console. The region will be listed on the right side of the disc, near the center, or on the upper right-hand corner of the game case’s face (NTSC is for all of North and South America;
    NTSC-J is for Asia; and PAL includes Europe, South Africa, India, Australia, and New Zealand).

Check the disc format.

If you are trying to play a CD in your console, make sure that it is the proper format. Supported formats include CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-R, CD-RW, and CD-Extra. Supported file types include WMA, MP3, and JPEG.

Cleaning the disc.

The second thing you’ll want to try is cleaning the reflective surface on the disc with a soft , slightly damp cloth (water only!), lightly wiping from the inside out.

Try a different disc.

You can quickly test your disc drive by trying other discs of the same type. If these work, try replacing your copy of the disc you are having trouble with and try again. If all discs do not work, try the following suggestions.

Clear your cache.

Your cache stores items such as game and system updates and gamer pictures. Don’t worry, you won’t lose your saves or profile by clearing the cache.

To clear your cache, navigate to the Settings Hub on the dashboard, then select the System tile in the upper left. In the next screen, select Memory, highlight the HDD, and press the (Y) button. Select Clear System Cache,
    then Yes.

Remove your Hard Drive.

If the game starts with the hard drive removed, then power off the console, reattach the drive, and try the game again. If it doesn’t work only with the hard drive attached, then your hard drive will need to be replaced.

Removing any other memory units or USB flash drives.

If removing one of these resolves the issue, then power down the console and try again with the drive reattached. If the game doesn’t work only with the device in question attached, it will have to be replaced (or reformatted if it’s a USB).

None of these steps helped.

If you are still having issues with discs not working properly, check your warranty status and set up a repair using our Online Service Center.

My console's disc drive is stuck open.

If your disc drive is stuck open on your Xbox 360 console, try the following steps. The steps vary depending on which model console you own, so be sure to read carefully! Also, if you'd like a more interactive guide, be sure to check this official
    troubleshooter

Xbox 360 S Console

Remove the disc from the console tray

With the disc removed, press the eject button. If the tray closes, make sure the disc doesn’t have any stickers or tabs that may be preventing the tray from closing. If the tray still won’t close, move on to the next step.

Gently manipulate the tray

If the tray does not close, try gently wiggling the open drive up, down, and from side to side. Try the eject button on the console again. If the drive still won’t close, you’ll want to check your warranty status and set up a repair using our Online
    Service Center

Original Xbox 360 Console

Remove the disc from the console tray

With the disc removed, press the eject button. If the tray closes, make sure the disc doesn’t have any stickers or tabs that may be preventing the tray from closing. If the tray still won’t close, move on to the next step.

Check your faceplate

Check that the faceplate (the plastic ‘face’ of the console) is fully attached by pressing firmly on it. If it isn’t firmly attached, you should hear it click into place, at which point you can try the drive again to see if it closes. If the faceplate is firmly
    in place and the drive still won’t close, please try the next step.

Gently manipulate the tray

If the tray does not close, try gently wiggling the open drive up, down, and from side to side. Try the eject button on the console again. If the drive still won’t close, you’ll want to check your warranty status and set up a repair using our Online
    Service Center

My console's disc drive is stuck shut.

If your disc drive is stuck closed, try the following steps. The steps vary depending on which model console you own, so be sure to read carefully! Again, please refer to the official
    troubleshooter
    if you would prefer an interactive approach.

Xbox 360 S Console

Manually eject the drive

I recommend using the guide here, as it’s an involved process and the images are helpful. Once the drive is open, remove the disc from the drive (if one is
    present), and try opening and closing the drive without the disc.

If you continue to experience issues with the tray opening, you’ll want to check your warranty and set up a repair using our Online Service Center.

Original Xbox 360 Console

Check your faceplate

Check that the faceplate (the plastic front of the console) isn’t preventing the drive from opening. You can do so by placing your console horizontally, unplugging all of its cables, and pushing the faceplate away from your console (be sure to have a strong
    hold on the console—removing the faceplate will take some force).

Re-attach the power cable, turn the console, and test the tray (the faceplate should still be removed). If the drive opens, check that the disc doesn’t have any stickers or labels that might be interfering with the drive’s operation. Close the tray, and re-attach
    the faceplate by lining up the tabs on its interior with the corresponding tabs on the console. Press firmly until you hear it click back into place.

Manually eject the drive

I recommend using the guide here, as it’s an involved process and the images are helpful. Once the drive is open, remove the disc from the drive (if one is
    present), and try opening and closing the drive.

If you continue to experience issues with the tray opening, you’ll want to check your warranty and set up a repair using our Online Service Center.

My console is still having issues.

If this guide didn’t resolve your issue, or if you have questions about any of the steps listed, feel free to make a post in this forum! Please include all steps that you have taken to resolve the issue as well as the following information:

What is the exact issue you are having?

If you are having disc read issues:

What kind of discs (game, DVD, CD)?

Does this happen with all discs or just certain ones?

Have you tried replacing the disc?

If you are having disc drive issues:

What model console are you having issues with (Original or S)?

Is the tray stuck open or shut?

Does this happen consistently or randomly?

:)

Mister Cerb, Aug 28, 2014
  2. messenger
    messenger Guest
    Check disc error

Downloaded the 1.6GB patch & so far the Blu-Ray drive is reading discs again.

messenger, Aug 28, 2014
  3. II M0Z II
    II M0Z II Guest
    II M0Z II, Aug 28, 2014
  4. Miss Portia Win User

Skyrim Help Please

Again, the above is misinformation. We are not replacing all consoles with disc read issues at this time. If you have this issue, please begin by checking out our disc drive troubleshooting guide, here:

support.xbox.com/.../disc-drive
  5. II M0Z II Win User

Skyrim Disc Unreadable

6. II M0Z II Win User

My Assassin's Creed III disc won't work on my Xbox, but works on others?

7. II M0Z II Win User

The Disc Is Unreadable?

8. II M0Z II Win User

Disc is un-readable after several cleans?!?

Thema:

1. Having Disc Read or Disc Drive Issues? -- Check Here! - Similar Threads - Having Disc Read

2. I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games...: I have the new Xbox X and it works fine with the Xbox X/S game discs and the digital games I download work fine. Is there a reason why it won't read the older Xbox One games I have? Some are brand...
  3. I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?: I have an original xbox and the disc drive won't open. Tried the paper clip tool and it did't work. What next? a81eeb29-f7e9-4f6e-a093-2e8064856079
  4. Does the Xbox series x have Dolby vision playback support for 4k blu ray discs ?

in XBoX on Windows
    Does the Xbox series x have Dolby vision playback support for 4k blu ray discs ?: Does the Xbox series x support Dolby vision playback for the 4k blu ray disc movies ? not streaming capability I seem to be able to activate HDR but not Dolby vision for movie discs , is there a...
  5. New mw3 disc won’t load have I got the wrong game or is the console the issue ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    New mw3 disc won’t load have I got the wrong game or is the console the issue ?: mw3 disc won’t load on my Xbox one have u paid for the wrong game 9bac90d2-7124-4a01-b887-16100eb234da
  6. Why is my Dragon Ball xenoverse not downloading - I have a digital and disc copy -

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my Dragon Ball xenoverse not downloading - I have a digital and disc copy -: Why is my Dragon Ball xenoverse not downloading - I have a digital and disc copy - disc doesn’t want to finish downloading so I bough 1 in the Xbox store and does exactly the same thing stops at...
  7. Xbox One S having issues with reading disc?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One S having issues with reading disc?: I updated my console on 11/10/23 after not being on line for several weeks. After which I wanted to play Modern Warfare on disc. When at the main screen, on the left was MWII which I have digital...
  8. Why won't my Xbox read my copy of Dragonball XenoVerse 2 but will read any other disc I have?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why won't my Xbox read my copy of Dragonball XenoVerse 2 but will read any other disc I have?: The disc is in perfect condition and it won't read the disc evidently. I tried the disc on a different Xbox and it read fine. I tried other discs and it reads the other discs perfectly fine....
  9. My Xbox series x wont read the disc. They are clean and don’t have any scratches

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox series x wont read the disc. They are clean and don’t have any scratches: Any of the disc I have, the Xbox is not reading them. They don’t work. They are clean and not scratched 080e35f1-b6d0-43d5-a307-72df0c06dfa2
  10. I have the message "can't read the update from the disc. . Please reinsert the disc ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have the message "can't read the update from the disc. . Please reinsert the disc ...: It wont let me leave this screen, I turn the console off and then turn it back on and it's the same thing. I can't push any buttons on my controller. da62c151-3a64-4319-b2d5-7b1e92b012ce