Hard Drive Noise

Discus and support Hard Drive Noise in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; The hard drive is very noisy when I'm on dashboard. Sounds like it is constantly writing data. The noise will go away once I start a game. The product... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Lee Faai, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Lee Faai
    Lee Faai Guest

Hard Drive Noise

The hard drive is very noisy when I'm on dashboard. Sounds like it is constantly writing data. The noise will go away once I start a game. The product is marketed as a silent console but it is noisier than a PC from the 90s. I got a replacement and am having
    the same issue. Other people have posted on the forum and made youtube videos about it. I have seen someone post that when kinect is connected they don't have the issue. I have a console without kinect. Some people say all consoles are like this and others
    tell me it is faulty. I'm concerned about the lifespan of the console due to the hard drive always in an active state. Why haven't Microsoft addressed this issue if this is something that happens on all consoles? People have been complaining about the issue
    since launch. Is it faulty hardware or will it be fixed with an update? Should I get a third replacement? I was told by your support staff to clear the persistent storage, clear alternate mac and hard reset. Seemed pointless on a brand new console but I did
    it anyway. Didn't resolve the issue. Doesn't seem normal for the hard drive to be so noisy. I can hear it from five metres away. Does everyone just ignore it or are both my consoles actually faulty. Perhaps most people have kinect and it doesn't happen with
    kinect like someone posted on a forum. Seems like an issue that people have been ignoring as the console is quiet after starting a game. I can still hear the hard drive going even when it is in standby. Had to change to energy saving mode to make it silent
    when not in use. Surely everyone can't just be ignoring this issue. Doesn't seem like it could be a bad batch as people have posted about this since launch.

:)

Lee Faai, Aug 11, 2014
  2. Xbox ONE vs S Noise

I think the original Xbox was the loudest console I owned. Even then, I never minded the noise, really. What kind of noise are you guys talking about? Fans, disc drive, or general clicky noises from the hard drive?

Bonemeal2pointOh, Aug 11, 2014
  3. RedSoxFan35
    RedSoxFan35 Guest
    Hard drive noise?

I hear a noise besides the fan in the system that i can't hear once I put a game in and it will also kind of stop when I am on the dashboard moving the joysticks on the controller. I would assume it's te hard drive but is it normal to do that?

RedSoxFan35, Aug 11, 2014
  4. Hard Drive Noise

I have had mine since day one no sound at all, I found the type of surface its on can cause it to make a noise mine is still quiet with Kinect on or off, if you can hear it from 5 metres then I think you have a problem.

GrowlingYapper, Aug 11, 2014
  5. Hey there, Lee! If your console is making noise while on the dashboard, I suggest you
    set up a repair so that we can fix that right away. Swapping out the console with the retailer hasn't fixed the issue for other users, so we'd like to fix it directly.

Misses Quinzel, Oct 31, 2018
  6. Lowlife Madness Win User

Why did my Xbox One S beep and click

it was coming from the hard drive. i did an internet seach and the clicking noise was similar to the "hard drive click of death". A failing hard drive.

My cousin's xbox one S made the same clicking noise with no beep, the clicking in his xbox was coming from the fan
  7. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hard Drive Noise

Hey there, Lee! If your console is making noise while on the dashboard, I suggest you
    set up a repair so that we can fix that right away. Swapping out the console with the retailer hasn't fixed the issue for other users, so we'd like to fix it directly.
  8. GrowlingYapper Win User

Hard Drive Noise

I have had mine since day one no sound at all, I found the type of surface its on can cause it to make a noise mine is still quiet with Kinect on or off, if you can hear it from 5 metres then I think you have a problem.
  9. CMUchippewa Win User

Hard drive noise?

No, that is not normal. My system made a loud noise like it was revving some RPMs like in a car during an installation. It only happened once and it stopped. I would suggest sending it in for a repair or advanced exchange. Do it while your console is
    under warranty. I have the extended warranty now, just to be safe.
  10. G0TP0T3NTBUD Win User

Hard drive noise

I had microsoft send me a new one
Thema:

Hard Drive Noise

1. Hard Drive Noise - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Noise

2. How do you get game files off a xbox 360s internal hard drive with the ring of death

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do you get game files off a xbox 360s internal hard drive with the ring of death: I have an Xbox 360/s that's been to the repair shop for the ring of death and was told that it is a temporary fix. It has an internal hard drive and I would like to get the saved game files off of...
  3. I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...: I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play games from my hardrive!? All I have read is that you can’t play x/a games on hdd but this one says it is...
  4. Error e106 after new hard drive on xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    Error e106 after new hard drive on xbox one: Error e106 after new hard drive On xbox one 4d4c522d-cbfa-4d8a-8940-95c19a5a12e7
  5. Xbox one hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one hard drive: I pulled out a hard drive of an Xbox one and plugged it into my Xbox one as an external and I didn't reformat it and now my Xbox turns on and off quickly. How bad did I screw it up?...
  6. I've just installed a new hard drive with all the software and files needed correctly...

in XBoX on Windows
    I've just installed a new hard drive with all the software and files needed correctly...: I've just installed a new hard drive with all the software and files needed correctly installed on Xbox went fine then when restarted it came up with a screen to put letters in the app to connect...
  7. External hard drive is confusing.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive is confusing.: So this is my first post on here and frankly I'm confused. My external hard drive isn't that old but from the very beginning of owning it, it's been weird with actually connecting to my Xbox...
  8. Hard drive space reduced after game reinstallation compared with original installation

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hard drive space reduced after game reinstallation compared with original installation: I installed two games originally, MS Flight Simulator and the last game was Starfield. My free hard drive space was around 800 GB. I reinstalled both games and the free hard drive space was around...
  9. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99
  10. My seagate hard drive for my Xbox not lighting up

in XBoX on Consoles
    My seagate hard drive for my Xbox not lighting up: My hard drive isn't lighting up, it was fine the other day and it stopped working how can I fix this issue ? My hard drive is only 2 years old it's in good condition I don't why it stopped working...