Hard drive and DVD reader noise

Discus and support Hard drive and DVD reader noise in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've experienced the DVD grinding noise a few times but games still play. Since the last update, I have only heard the grinding DVD a couple of times.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MI_traist, May 15, 2014.

1. MI_traist
    MI_traist Guest

I've experienced the DVD grinding noise a few times but games still play. Since the last update, I have only heard the grinding DVD a couple of times. NOW my hard drive gives off a single CLUNK sound every so often...sometimes when I'm using the xbox sometimes
    when it's 'off' (I understand the xbox is never really off rather it's in hibernation...btw, terrible design flaw imho) but it's consistent. Is this a problem, meaning did I purchase one of flawed Xbox Ones?

:)

MI_traist, May 15, 2014
  2. DIEHELLHOUND
    DIEHELLHOUND Guest
    how do i get Halo 4 to run off the hard drive instead of the DVD drive?

i have a new xbox and installed both discs to the hard drive but while playing campaign i can still hear the DVD drive making a ton of noise i can hear the laser moving around to read the disc. Is it not possible to play entirely off the hard drive?

DIEHELLHOUND, May 15, 2014
  3. SprintR HUN
    SprintR HUN Guest
    Strange Disc Drive

Okay, I tested it and it still reads Assassin's Creed 3 much faster than the other games. And the dvd drive has a different noise too.

SprintR HUN, May 15, 2014
  4. Huggs1
    Huggs1 Guest

Any chance you could get a video of the sound?

Is it this sound?

(Sound at 0:07):

(Sound at 0:09):

Huggs1, May 16, 2014
  5. Hylander034
    Hylander034 Guest
    mine also makes that 'chunk' noise on boot up, I take it that's normal? Sometimes it makes it while idle on the dash board as well.

Hylander034, May 17, 2014
  6. Huggs1
    Huggs1 Guest
    The clunk on boot up appears normal, but I don't think it should be making it afterwards when there is no disc in the drive. I think it is just the drive checking if there is a disc.

It's been reported to the devs in the Early Access update preview but there has been nothing back yet.

Huggs1, May 17, 2014
  7. I'll just note that I can confirm I've had this issue too since the update and that when it did it while watching Netflix it caused a brief stutter in the stream.

Highly Mortal, Oct 31, 2018
  8. Huggs1 Win User

Any chance you could get a video of the sound?

Is it this sound?

(Sound at 0:07): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDcBn1hinSI

(Sound at 0:09): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm7sKr9PHoQ
  9. Huggs1 Win User

The clunk on boot up appears normal, but I don't think it should be making it afterwards when there is no disc in the drive. I think it is just the drive checking if there is a disc.

It's been reported to the devs in the Early Access update preview but there has been nothing back yet.
  10. Hylander034 Win User

mine also makes that 'chunk' noise on boot up, I take it that's normal? Sometimes it makes it while idle on the dash board as well.
  11. Highly Mortal Win User

I'll just note that I can confirm I've had this issue too since the update and that when it did it while watching Netflix it caused a brief stutter in the stream.
  12. Rider del espacio Win User

Nowadays in 2019: second hand Xbox 360 Slim or Super Slim?

I am planning to buy the games from the second hand shop in a physical format (DVD)... and playing using the DVD... at the moment I am not planning to get the Xbox live gold... but who knows in a future...

by the way, is there a way to transfer the games from the DVD to the Hard Drive? in that case the Hard Drive would be interesting to keep the games.... and playing from the Hard Drive... and maybe to increase the life of the DVD reader? thanks. All the best
Thema:

1. Hard drive and DVD reader noise - Similar Threads - Hard drive DVD

2. I've just installed a new hard drive with all the software and files needed correctly...

in XBoX on Windows
    I've just installed a new hard drive with all the software and files needed correctly...: I've just installed a new hard drive with all the software and files needed correctly installed on Xbox went fine then when restarted it came up with a screen to put letters in the app to connect...
  3. External hard drive is confusing.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive is confusing.: So this is my first post on here and frankly I'm confused. My external hard drive isn't that old but from the very beginning of owning it, it's been weird with actually connecting to my Xbox...
  4. Hard drive space reduced after game reinstallation compared with original installation

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hard drive space reduced after game reinstallation compared with original installation: I installed two games originally, MS Flight Simulator and the last game was Starfield. My free hard drive space was around 800 GB. I reinstalled both games and the free hard drive space was around...
  5. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99
  6. My seagate hard drive for my Xbox not lighting up

in XBoX on Consoles
    My seagate hard drive for my Xbox not lighting up: My hard drive isn't lighting up, it was fine the other day and it stopped working how can I fix this issue ? My hard drive is only 2 years old it's in good condition I don't why it stopped working...
  7. Is it possible to upgrade my hard drive on my xbox one x to ssd

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it possible to upgrade my hard drive on my xbox one x to ssd: I have an Xbox One X which has a hard drive that has failed. I was wondering if I could upgrade it to an ssd as I tried going to repair shops and they are charging more than $200....
  8. Xbox one s ,new motherboard. New DVD board , using new hard drive 1tb get two of the same...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one s ,new motherboard. New DVD board , using new hard drive 1tb get two of the same...: Xbox one s new mother board came with DVD daughter board. Using 1 tb hard drive . Getting error E101-000005048B050041 .Have tryed 3 500 HD and 2 1tb HD, reassembled DVD to check cables etc still...
  9. Can I burn a DVD to my XBX 360 HARD DRIVE?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can I burn a DVD to my XBX 360 HARD DRIVE?: Can I burn a DVD to my Xbox 360 hard drive? e9e8f71c-7a41-4f4a-81fe-89dbc3ec23dc
  10. how do i get Halo 4 to run off the hard drive instead of the DVD drive?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    how do i get Halo 4 to run off the hard drive instead of the DVD drive?: i have the original release xbox 360 and the DVD drive is going in it and because of that I been having alot of issues with Halo 4 and audio skipping or not even playing at all and textures taking...