Halo MCC crash when Easy Anti-Cheat is disabled

Discus and support Halo MCC crash when Easy Anti-Cheat is disabled in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have halo MCC installed, and whenever I launch with anti-cheat disabled, I get consistent crashes. There are two main cases: 1. No mods installed... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by LethalChicken, Jul 14, 2023.

1. Halo MCC crash when Easy Anti-Cheat is disabled

I have halo MCC installed, and whenever I launch with anti-cheat disabled, I get consistent crashes. There are two main cases:
    1. No mods installed

When I open the game, I can navigate most of the menus just fine, but when I get to any menu that has a list or preview of maps (including missions, firefight, forge, custom games, and playlists), the game crashes. The preview of maps/missions that normally appears in the bottom right of the screen does not appear at all. The only exception is theater mode, and I assume that's because it's not listing maps, it's listing theater files, which are then played on top of whatever map is associated with that file. When I loaded a file in theater, the map loaded successfully, so the error is exclusively with map listings, and presumably has to do with the addition of modded map support in the menus so that existing maps no longer have to be overwritten, and steam workshop support is now possible.

In this case I get one of three errors codes (all just display as UE4 Fatal Error, this is from the event viewer):

0xc0000005 with fault offset 0x0000000000b00d74, and the faulting application is mcc-win64-shipping.exe

0xc0000409 with fault offset 0x000000000007f61e, and the faulting application is ucrtbase.dll

0xe06d7363 with fault offset 0x000000000006536c, and the faulting application is KERNELBASE.dll

2. Mods installed

When mods are installed and I open the game, I can navigate most menus as before, but if I even open the campaign, multiplayer, or firefight menus, the game crashes. The crashes are less consistent, though it still happens immediately and 100% of the time in the same cases as before. In this case I exclusively get the error code 0xc0000005 with the faulting application is mcc-win64-shipping.exe

I reached out to Halo Support and they were useless, and the two MCC updates since the December 9th update have not fixed the issue.

I've tried reinstalling the game, verifying integrity of game files, changing permissions, closing background processes, I even accidentally reset Windows when trying to perform a clean boot and it locked me out because windows hello wouldn't start. I've also used sfc to check my system files, uninstalled Windows 7 from a secondary hard drive, disabled overclocking in the BIOS, run the memory diagnostic tool, updated Windows, and updated drivers.

I have been fighting with this issue for months and NOBODY on the entire internet seems to have the same problem. The closest ones I found, the troubleshooting steps that worked for them did not work for me. I'm wondering if it might be a hardware issue, or if there are other troubleshooting methods I should try.

PC Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: 32GB DDR4, 2133MHz

Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2070

Windows 11 Personal

Here is one of the crash logs, from the event viewer:

Faulting application name: mcc-win64-shipping.exe, version: 1.3073.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Faulting module name: mcc-win64-shipping.exe, version: 1.3073.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000320d90

Faulting process id: 0x0xAE20

Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9AA3480372920

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Halo The Master Chief Collection\mcc\binaries\win64\mcc-win64-shipping.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Halo The Master Chief Collection\mcc\binaries\win64\mcc-win64-shipping.exe

Report Id: d222a19a-133e-4169-854c-99eee37d7bf2

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

THIS IS NOT A STEAM ISSUE THIS IS A GAME ISSUE. DO NOT REDIRECT ME TO STEAM SUPPORT AGAIN BECAUSE THEY LITERALLY CANNOT HELP.

:)

LethalChicken, Jul 14, 2023
  2. LethalChicken Win User

I tried Steam Support, they could not help me. Also the link to the Halo Forums no longer works as the Halo forums have been shut down. I have scoured the internet, tried posting in reddit and discord communities, and even asked GPT based AI for suggestions. I even reset windows at one point, because I couldn't sign back in because windows hello was disabled with all the other services. I think the problem is either with my hardware or my windows installation, as nobody else on the entire planet seems to have had the same issue. I also occasionally have crashes with error code 0xc0000005 in other applications, but none as consistently as halo MCC. At this point I'm tempted to just give up and wait until I decide to get a new PC.

I suspect the error has something to do with MCC failing to access the map files, but it has no problem doing so when anti-cheat is enabled, and it almost never crashes in that case.
  3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello LethalChicken,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It appears that you are having issue with the specific game and happened to be played on a third-party platform and despite performing some troubleshooting steps related to your Windows device, the issue still persists. Let us see on what we can do to help address your problem.

By the way. it is sad to know that the game developer support has nothing to offer to help resolve your concern where in fact they should provide assistance because it is their primary support when issue is in-game specific.

And also, can we confirm if you have reach out Steam support.? Since you have played this game in Steam app, it is best to reach out to their support team directly. We have referred a lot of customers with the game issues using their platform and they received best assistance resolving the issue. We will help you how to get there. Follow the steps below:

You may also visit their different platform where you can reach Steam support. See this link: Forum Farewell | Halo - Official Site (en) (halowaypoint.com)

We understand that it is not your option to contact steam support however we need to reach out to them since the game issue is happening in Steam app.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We are positive that you’ll get more relevant information and best resolution to your concern.

Sincerely,

4. richardlzj Win User

MCC Downloaded, but Halo Reach won't Install!

I have the same problem!! I have bought this game and click the MCC, it launches, I see the "easy anti-cheat" window load, then the opening cinematic plays, it then closes or crashes when the "343 industries" shows
    and the Halo Reach Microsoft app page is opened and says I need to install Halo Reach. But I did install it!!!!!
  5. Kathy A. Win User

Halo mcc not working

Hello Jomsua,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Based on your description you're experiencing issues with Halo: The Master Chief Collection. It seems like the issue might be related to Easy Anti-Cheat.

We have steps that you can try, please see if that helps. If not, you may try to follow the steps from the game support to disable the Easy Anti-Cheat. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Make sure that your Windows 11 and graphics card drivers are up to date.

2. Try running the game in compatibility mode. Right-click on the game's shortcut, select Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, and then check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Windows 10.

3. Try disabling any antivirus or firewall software temporarily and see if that resolves the issue.

4. Try repairing the game files. Open the Xbox app, go to Settings, select Gaming, and then click on Halo MCC. Click on the three dots next to the game and select "Repair."

If issue still persists, please try the suggestion from the game support: How to launch Halo: The Master Chief Collection with Easy Anti-Cheat (EAC) disabled – Halo Support (halowaypoint.com)

We hope this helps!

If you have other clarifications about this matter, you can get back to us by replying to this post.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  6. luissolid Win User

halo mcc anti cheat disabled for modding

Hello welcome to the forums!

343 the already say that mods are going to be available PC. But right now they only show 3.

You can check the info on the 343 website on the Forums!

Regards!
Thema:

1. Halo MCC crash when Easy Anti-Cheat is disabled - Similar Threads - Halo MCC crash

2. Halo MCC Unable to Load without Frozen Screen

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Halo MCC Unable to Load without Frozen Screen: Halo Master Chief Collection on Xbox Series X froze during Halo 3 game play. Any time I restart the game, it brings me back to the same frozen screen. I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled and removed save...
  3. How can I add another login into Halo MCC?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How can I add another login into Halo MCC?: I got logged out of my primary email that I used to get into the game. I was hoping someone can tell me how I can add my current email when I login. I bought the Halo MCC on steam. Please, any...
  4. Halo MCC bugged when i tried to download it, how do I fix it?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Halo MCC bugged when i tried to download it, how do I fix it?: I have tried everything from this post, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/halo-mcc-bugged-when-i-tried-to-download-it-how-to/3f49f0a7-a6c3-4b76-8698-a32b33e3ff7f and this post...
  5. Halo MCC crash when loading map listings

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Halo MCC crash when loading map listings: I have halo MCC installed via steam, and whenever I launch with anti-cheat disabled, I get consistent crashes. There are two main cases: 1. No mods installed When I open the game, I can navigate...
  6. How to fix this bug crash halo 2 on MCC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to fix this bug crash halo 2 on MCC: Halo 2 anniversary coop crashes everytime me or my partner enter a vehicle and it's annoying because it makes the game unplayable 8e40a2b4-162e-411a-9978-35bcfcc703c0
  7. is there a fix for halo mcc fatal error crash

in XBoX Games and Apps
    is there a fix for halo mcc fatal error crash: everytime i tried to play halo mcc on steam and my brother is playing minecraft i will crash everytime with a fatal error. we have tested this at home and everytime he starts minecraft on his ps5...
  8. Halo MCC PC co-op crash

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Halo MCC PC co-op crash: Halo MCC is totally unplayable in coop due to constant crashing on levels, it seems to always be random when the crash may occur but happens enough times to not complete a mission. my friend and i...
  9. Halo MCC Edition - Halo 3 LASO Playlist - Crash to Xbox Home Screen

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Halo MCC Edition - Halo 3 LASO Playlist - Crash to Xbox Home Screen: My son, GT [Mod removed - See guidelines], is working through the Halo MCC Achievement list and currently focussed on the LASO playlists. While he was playing MCC Halo 3 LASO on our Xbox1, I...
  10. HALO MCC crash in Halo 4

in XBoX Games and Apps
    HALO MCC crash in Halo 4: When a episode finished I get many times the a black screen with the massage in the upper left corner " Untracked build, won't upload " Please release a update for all problems we have with Halo...