Hacked, Email Changed all in under 1 minute. Microsoft says they cannot recover my...

Discus and support Hacked, Email Changed all in under 1 minute. Microsoft says they cannot recover my... in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Somehow someone got my email and password for my Microsoft account. I got about 4 emails of account changes, all in around 1 minutes time. I went down... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Avery Schlatter, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Hacked, Email Changed all in under 1 minute. Microsoft says they cannot recover my...

Somehow someone got my email and password for my Microsoft account. I got about 4 emails of account changes, all in around 1 minutes time. I went down the "Account Recovery" rabbit hole to be told they couldn't recover my account. The rep said they would help escelate. After Escelation, these are the 2 emails I got. I was basically told that all they could do is permanently close that account, that the games on that account are all gone and I'm out of luck. How is this possible with a company so big that they cannot see that someone with a RUSSIAN IP address and .RU email address clearly took over my account? How can I justify to my son that he no longer can play Minecraft and other games we had bought without repurchasing them. I don't exactly have money lying around to compensate for Microsofts lack of proper account protection systems. Please help.

Email below.

Hacked, Email Changed all in under 1 minute.  Microsoft says they cannot recover my... [​IMG]

CDOC Case Management <cdoccm@microsoft.com>

To:averykristian@aol.com

Tue, Sep 26 at 9:30 AM

Service Request 1057447462

Greetings Avery,

My name is Porsche with Microsoft Customer Support. I appreciate your patience while I have performed an investigation of your account.

Account security is a top priority at Microsoft, and we have a team dedicated to investigating and validating fraudulent activity. The account and billing activity associated with your Microsoft account was thoroughly reviewed by our fraud team, and I can confirm there was unauthorized access to your account. Unfortunately, during the investigation process, we found that your security information has been changed.

Unfortunately, when security features are updated on an account, we are unable to assist with an account recovery as these types of updates and/or removal are completely out of control of customer service. We are unable to make any changes to the security information on the account due to security protocols set up and the acceptance of the Microsoft Services Agreement when the account was created.

The only option we have is to permanently suspend this account to prevent any further use. At this time, I have successfully suspended this account, and this will remain on indefinitely.

Thank you for your understanding and patience during the investigation of your account.

*If a response is received after 7 days this service request will be closed and will not be reopened. Once closed, you will need to contact Customer Support to create a new Service Request.

Sincerely,

Porsche H.

Accounts & Billing Support Advocate

Microsoft Customer Support & Services

Wednesday – Sunday 7Am to 3:30PM CST

Microsoft Support | Manage Microsoft Devices | Microsoft Account Profile | Microsoft Privacy Statement

Legal Disclaimer: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.

EU Customers only: The European Commission provides an online dispute resolution platform, which can be accessed here: http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/. More information on this is available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/arbitration/EU-ODR.aspx

:)

Avery Schlatter, Sep 27, 2023
  2. Avery Schlatter Win User

Hacked, Email Changed all in under 1 minute. Microsoft says they cannot recover my account. Game library now gone.

No need to be condescending. It would help if you guys made it so people cannot access people's accounts from a different country. In what world is it considered okay for someone on the opposite side of the country to change an email address that has been established for 15 years? Anyways, you can't 'help, so this is more bothersome than anything else.
  3. Avery Schlatter Win User

Hacked, Email Changed all in under 1 minute. Microsoft says they cannot recover my account. Game library now gone.

My idea to help better protect an account is to not let people change their email address without a process.

Someone took my password and circumvented the 2FA that is on there somehow and changed my email and then closed the account. All in under 1 minute.

I will never be buying another Microsoft digital product again. The fact that your systems let a gmail account be changed to a .ru (russian) account and the 2FA changed, is terrible. There are hundreds of posts about this same thing happening to other people, (all with the same .ru email domain) yet Microsoft continues to operate the same. I suppose it's more money for Microsoft since most people would just pay for their games a second time. But not me.
  4. Avery Schlatter Win User

This is the second email when I asked about the games on my account, that I bought THROUGH MICROSOFT, on the STORE app.

Service Request *REMOVED PII*

Greetings Avery,

This is *REMOVED PII*again with Microsoft Customer Support. I am contacting you regarding your account takeover issue.

Thank you for your response. Since the attacker changed security proofs this caused the account to become compromised. Security proofs are how the customer can recover their account by sending a verification code, such as a phone number or email address. Once this is compromised, the attacker can recover the account themselves using the proof they added. Microsoft support is unable to assist in removing proofs due to privacy and security policies. Our only option at that point to protect the customers data is to lock the account down indefinitely.

Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with Minecraft. You will more than likely have to create a new account. You can try to contact Mojang support to see if they can assist with regaining access to your Minecraft account. Ultimately if they can’t assist, we are unable to assist, so you will need to create a new account.

If any other issues arise you may contact Microsoft Customer Support and one of our support representatives will be happy to provide further assistance.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced, and I appreciate your understanding and patience while this problem was investigated.

*If a response is received after 7 days this service request will be closed and will not be reopened. Once closed, you will need to contact Customer Support to create a new Service Request.

Sincerely,

*REMOVED PII*

Accounts & Billing Support Advocate

Microsoft Customer Support & Services

Wednesday – Sunday 7Am to 3:30PM CST

EDIT: Removed personally identifiable information (PII) from post.
  5. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Avery Schlatter,

We understand your sentiment and we know how much you would like to gain an access to your account back. Although we cannot turn back the time, when you were still the only person who knew about your account credentials and licenses. What we can do is to move forward and to ensure all accounts you had is secured and your credentials will not fall into other people's hand.

These support articles provide prevention on how to avoid this from happening. You may apply this with your other accounts/devices too:

Protect yourself from phishing - Microsoft Support

The keys to the kingdom - securing your devices and accounts - Microsoft Support

Should you have ideas/suggestion to share to Microsoft on how to effectively secure an account, feel free to share it through Feedback Hub app.

Thank you for posting.

Regards,

6. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Avery Schlatter,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you need help about your account that was used by your son to play Minecraft and other games. This has been accessed by someone where the security information of the account was completely changed. Microsoft account is managed by a completely automated server, and we do not have manual access to it. Microsoft takes the security and privacy of our customers very seriously. We are committed to protecting your personal information, and the meticulous account recovery process is intended to protect you from any possible malicious activity.

We are aware of how upsetting it might be to lose access to a valuable account. Receiving a notification for an account change indicates, however, that your login information may have been made public to that individual. Account takeover is difficult unless the intruder has access to your secondary email address and phone number, your password, and the verification code issued to one of your security details. If the account you made is not at all secure, this is, nevertheless, extremely simple. The account should be secured such that only you (the account owner) can enter the verification code provided to one or two security details related to it. By that time, it won't be possible for someone to alter or update your security information or password unless you are aware of it.

If the Internal Team's only option is to permanently deactivate the account, the person who altered your account information won't have access to it anymore. Then this must be a difficult lesson to learn. We sincerely hope that moving forward, any accounts you create will be completely secured to avoid this from happening again.

If you have any better ideas on how to protect an account in these circumstances, we advise you to provide one to the appropriate team. Please use Feedback Hub - Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app - Microsoft Support.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
Thema:

Hacked, Email Changed all in under 1 minute. Microsoft says they cannot recover my...

1. Hacked, Email Changed all in under 1 minute. Microsoft says they cannot recover my... - Similar Threads - Hacked Email Changed

2. microsoft account hacked and email changed but password still the same

in XBoX on Windows
    microsoft account hacked and email changed but password still the same: Hello, a russian dude hacked into my Microsoft account and changed the email but he didn't change the password, I want to change my email but it needs confirmation from the email account he...
  3. My epic account was hacked and they changed the email so I can’t log in

in XBoX on Windows
    My epic account was hacked and they changed the email so I can’t log in: Someone hacked my account changed the email so I can’t do the 2 factor authentication 149106d6-c982-4ec2-85d6-2189fbdc2218
  4. My account was hacked and the email was changed completely

in XBoX Accessibility
    My account was hacked and the email was changed completely: ive tried but i can’t access it at all because the email was changed, ive tried the support bot and contacting the email that was on the account but nothing has worked, it says the original email...
  5. How Do i recover my hacked minecraft account (Email Changed and Username changed)

in XBoX Accessibility
    How Do i recover my hacked minecraft account (Email Changed and Username changed): On Saturday, Around 5:58 PM, December 23rd 2023, i was playing minecraft on hypixel when someone invited me to a party. they said they wanted to vc so i friended them on discord. they invited me...
  6. My old microsoft account's email got changed after being hacked, is there anything i can do...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My old microsoft account's email got changed after being hacked, is there anything i can do...: [img] The new and random email, from russia apparently. 0e4075e3-74f9-4196-babc-c87bdd7c0b97
  7. My old minecraft account was hacked and the email was changed, is it possible to get it back?

in XBoX Accessibility
    My old minecraft account was hacked and the email was changed, is it possible to get it back?: I have the receipt that I bought the game but when I try to sign in it says I need to buy it again 018d1269-7d0e-4d75-8fbb-4206fa7671b1
  8. My minecraft account was hacked into with the password being changed and the email changed...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My minecraft account was hacked into with the password being changed and the email changed...: My minecraft account was hacked into and I tried contacting minecraft help on recovering my account. They have told me to come to microsoft support saying they dont have control of their accounts...
  9. My account was hacked into and had the email changed

in XBoX Accessibility
    My account was hacked into and had the email changed: As the title suggest my account was stolen (im not sure how) the email was changed and the email that should have been attached the the account was deleted from the micosoft account. What...
  10. My (different) Microsoft account got hacked, hackers changed email address and removed my...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My (different) Microsoft account got hacked, hackers changed email address and removed my...: My account, which is my personal account (not this one), got hacked through Minecraft, I was trying to redeem a code for a rank on Hypixel, when I received a notification on my email that a new...