Gaming services failed with error code 0x8007007e

Discus and support Gaming services failed with error code 0x8007007e in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I’m running Xbox App for PC on Win 10 Pro System, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060Ti. Every time I want to install a game from game pass for PC the Xbox... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Josef Mittermann, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Gaming services failed with error code 0x8007007e

I’m running Xbox App for PC on Win 10 Pro System, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060Ti. Every time I want to install a game from game pass for PC the Xbox App installs gaming services new just to produce after a short time error code 0x8007007e. I reinstalled Xbox App and tried every solution I could find online also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rk-on-pc/f91ddadc-13cf-4014-9183-ae8c233fe771 to no avail. I would be grateful for any help with that problem.

:)

Josef Mittermann, Aug 28, 2023
  2. Marrion_Y Win User

hi Josef Mittermann,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble installing games from game pass for PC. This error code 0x8007007e indicates that there is a problem with the gaming services or the Microsoft Store app.

First, please make sure that the device still has enough free space left or try for free up some space on the drive of the device. See this page for reference then see how it goes: Free up drive space in Windows - Microsoft Support.

If still issues persist, here are some steps we can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Reinstall Gaming Services:

- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

- Type "ms-settings:gaming-game-services" and press Enter.

- Click on Gaming Services and then click on Uninstall.

- Restart your PC.

- Open the Microsoft Store and search for Gaming Services.

- Click on Install and wait for the installation to complete.

- Restart your PC and try launching the Xbox App again.

2. Clear Microsoft Store Cache:

- Type "wsreset" on the search menu of the Taskbar.

- From the results, wsreset (Run command) should appear.

- Select Run as administrator.

- Wait for the window to close and open the Microsoft Store automatically.

If none of these steps work, you proceed to these steps below:

1. Make sure your Windows 10 is up to date. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if prompted.

2. Log out from the Xbox app and the Microsoft Store app. Then, go to the Start menu, right-click on the Xbox app and the Microsoft Store app, and select App settings. Click on Terminate, Repair and Reset for both apps.

3. Open the Microsoft Store app, click on the three dots in the upper right corner, go to Downloads and Updates > Get updates and update everything.

4. Restart your PC, log in to both apps and try to install a game from game pass for PC again.

You can also try running the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tools to repair any corrupted system files. To do this, follow these steps:

Open Command Prompt (Run as administrator)

Type and enter these commands below:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

Note: Allow each command to complete its process before entering the next command line

Exit Command Prompt and restart the device

I hope these steps help resolve your issue. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind regards,
    Marrion
  3. Josef Mittermann Win User

Hello,

I tried this fix several times. It doesn't work though.

Regards

Josef
  4. Marrion_Y Win User

Hi Josef Mittermann,

Thank you for the response and sorry to hear that still issue persists.

Regarding with the 2 entries of the Gaming Services that you are seeing, that is normal. I also have those 2 entries on my end. When uninstalled Gaming Services though through PowerShell, was it the steps found on this page which are as follows also: Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows | Xbox Support?

1. Select the Search icon on the taskbar, type powershell, right-click on Windows PowerShell, and then select Run as administrator.
    2. In Windows PowerShell, type the following command and press Enter:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
    3. In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
    4. Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.
    5. Restart your device and try to install the game again.

If those steps were already followed and still issues persist, I would recommend that we try doing a reset on your device. You may check this page for options and reference in doing a reset: Recovery options in Windows - Microsoft Support

Kind regards,
    Marrion
  5. Josef Mittermann Win User

Dear Marrion,

Thanks a lot for your attention. I went through all your suggested steps at least two times and did all the suggested scans unfortunately to no avail, the error persists. During my tries I noted that I couldn't uninstall gaming services in the suggested way, I had to use the powershell or a 3 party app and in local services gaming services are listed two times:

[​IMG]

Kind regards,

Josef
  6. Marrion_Y Win User

Hi Josef Mittermann,

We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com)

Thank you for understanding.

Kind regards,
    Marrion
Thema:

1. Gaming services failed with error code 0x8007007e - Similar Threads - Gaming services failed

2. Xbox Accessories App "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" when Elite S2...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Accessories App "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" when Elite S2...: When i try to configure my elite controller with the "xbox accessories" app, i get an error message saying "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" it tells me to log into the xbox app,...
  3. Gaming Services failed with error code 0x8007007e. Gaming Services will not install.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming Services failed with error code 0x8007007e. Gaming Services will not install.: I have tried for about 16 hours to play Forza Motorsport now. It just sticks on the loading screen and never starts. I have narrowed it down to the fact that Gaming Services from Microsoft will...
  4. Failed to start cloud gaming session, you do not own this game or subscription service

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Failed to start cloud gaming session, you do not own this game or subscription service: Hello, I've been getting this error "Failed to start cloud gaming session, you do not own this game or subscription service" yet I have gamepass Ultimate and have had it for years. it will let me...
  5. Gaming services failed with error code 0x80080005

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gaming services failed with error code 0x80080005: I have tried reinstalling the xbox app did not work, Reinstalling the gaming services app and that's about it. 9afc3894-efd1-430b-a53f-4e289e862895
  6. Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005: Hi I get the "Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005" error message in the xbox app and then I can't reinstall Microsoft Flight Simulator. I have tried reinstalling Gaming Services...
  7. How to resolve on PC: "Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005 "

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to resolve on PC: "Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005 ": All of the sudden xbox app on Windows 11 has stopped allowing us to play any games citing the above error code that I cannot seem to find anywhere. I have tried repairing, resetting, and...
  8. Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005: I have tried tons of options including restarting, PowerShell inputs, uninstalling Xbox app and reinstalling, etc. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of this error so that I...
  9. How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e?: I'm unable to install games on the xbox app on PC (windows 10). "Gaming services failed with error code: 0x8007007e." I've tried everything listed on the support page and nothing has fixed the...
  10. Xbox app in pc doesn't work: Gaming services failed with error code 0x80080005. Help please!

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app in pc doesn't work: Gaming services failed with error code 0x80080005. Help please!: I had to reinstall windows 11 and ever since I've had issue with Xbox app. I've reinstalled the app several items. Updated from store etc. But still having the issue. Please advise...