Gaming Services failed with error code 0x8007007e. Gaming Services will not install.

Discus and support Gaming Services failed with error code 0x8007007e. Gaming Services will not install. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have tried for about 16 hours to play Forza Motorsport now. It just sticks on the loading screen and never starts. I have narrowed it down to the... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Bartholomew Richter, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Gaming Services failed with error code 0x8007007e. Gaming Services will not install.

I have tried for about 16 hours to play Forza Motorsport now. It just sticks on the loading screen and never starts. I have narrowed it down to the fact that Gaming Services from Microsoft will not load.

I have used Powershell to remove gaming services and reinstall it, this didn't fix it.

I have taken ownership of the gaming services folders, deleted them and deleted the registry entries. Reinstalled Gaming Services, this did not fix it.

I have disabled my firewall and resinstalled Gaming services, this did not fix it.

I have tried the Gaming Repair Tool from Microsoft, this did not fix it either.

I have further narrowed it down to the Gaming Services services in services.msc will not start and show an error code 87. Nothing above has fixed this problem either.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this issue? Paying $100 for early access only to be able to not play is annoying. Steam support is utterly useless.

Thanks

:)

Bartholomew Richter, Oct 10, 2023
  2. Bartholomew Richter Win User

Gaming Services failed with error code 0x8007007e. Gaming Services will not install.

Richie, I will reach out to XBox support. I've tried the Beta Gaming Services repair tool approximately 20 times, it was number 4 in the list of items that I clearly stated that I tried in my initial post.

Thanks
  3. RichieB_ Win User

Hi Bartholomew Richter,

Thank you for your reply.

We do have a new repair tool for Gaming repair services. You may visit the link below for the steps but if you want someone to assist you how to do it. I will give you also the steps how to contact our Xbox live support as well.

Link for Beta Gaming Services Repair Tool for PC: Gaming Services Repair Tool for PC (Beta) | Xbox Support

Please follow the steps below to reach out to our live support team:

1. Please use this link: Contact us | Xbox Support
    2. Scroll down and look at the lower left side if you can see the page matches the country/region you are currently located.
    3. If not, please select the country/region it is showing and select the correct one among the lists.
    4. Make sure to use to check the available contact times of the support.
    5. Select the "Contact Us" button
    6. Select the drop-down menu options that will match your concern.
    7. The next window will provide you with support articles based on your request and we recommend reviewing the relevant articles before selecting the "See contact options" button.
    8. On the final window, you will be presented with multiple options. We suggest selecting either the "Chat online" or the "Request a call" options to speak with someone. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible.
    9. If you cannot get connected to the support, please use the Virtual Agent and enter this exact phrase, "Talk to an agent".
    10. Should you be encountering issues contacting support, you may try InPrivate Window of your browser, other browser, different device/s or connect to different network.

Thank you,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  4. Bartholomew Richter Win User

Richie, thanks for the response. Unfortunately I have tried these suggestions but I tried them again...

1. I ran the Troubleshooter and it found no issues.

2. Gaming services cannot be uninstalled as the box is greyed out. The only way that I have been able to uninstall gaming services is via the Powershell commands.

I have also found that xBox app cannot identify the default install location under Install Options.

So I have 3 notable issues, Gaming Services will not install (Error 0x8007007e), Gaming Services actual services will not start (Error 87), and XBox app cannot identify default installation location.
  5. RichieB_ Win User

Hi Bartholomew Richter,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

We understand that you are experiencing an issue with Gaming Services failing to install with error code 0x8007007e. I'm here to help you resolve this issue.

Error code 0x8007007e usually indicates that there is a problem with the Windows system files or the Microsoft Store app. Here are some steps that you can follow to resolve this issue:

1. Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter:

- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.

- Click on Update & Security.

- Click on Troubleshoot.

- Scroll down and click on Windows Store Apps.

- Click on Run the troubleshooter.

- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooter.

2. Reinstall Gaming Services:

- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

- Type "ms-settings:gaming-game-services" and press Enter.

- Click on Gaming Services and then click on Uninstall.

- Restart your PC.

- Open the Microsoft Store and search for Gaming Services.

- Click on Install and wait for the installation to complete.

- Restart your PC and try launching the Xbox App again.

I hope this will help you to resolve your issue. We look forward for your response.

Thank you,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  6. Marrion_Y Win User

Gaming services failed with error code 0x8007007e

hi Josef Mittermann,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble installing games from game pass for PC. This error code 0x8007007e indicates that there is a problem with the gaming services or the Microsoft Store app.

First, please make sure that the device still has enough free space left or try for free up some space on the drive of the device. See this page for reference then see how it goes: Free up drive space in Windows - Microsoft Support.

If still issues persist, here are some steps we can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Reinstall Gaming Services:

- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

- Type "ms-settings:gaming-game-services" and press Enter.

- Click on Gaming Services and then click on Uninstall.

- Restart your PC.

- Open the Microsoft Store and search for Gaming Services.

- Click on Install and wait for the installation to complete.

- Restart your PC and try launching the Xbox App again.

2. Clear Microsoft Store Cache:

- Type "wsreset" on the search menu of the Taskbar.

- From the results, wsreset (Run command) should appear.

- Select Run as administrator.

- Wait for the window to close and open the Microsoft Store automatically.

If none of these steps work, you proceed to these steps below:

1. Make sure your Windows 10 is up to date. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if prompted.

2. Log out from the Xbox app and the Microsoft Store app. Then, go to the Start menu, right-click on the Xbox app and the Microsoft Store app, and select App settings. Click on Terminate, Repair and Reset for both apps.

3. Open the Microsoft Store app, click on the three dots in the upper right corner, go to Downloads and Updates > Get updates and update everything.

4. Restart your PC, log in to both apps and try to install a game from game pass for PC again.

You can also try running the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tools to repair any corrupted system files. To do this, follow these steps:

Open Command Prompt (Run as administrator)

Type and enter these commands below:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

Note: Allow each command to complete its process before entering the next command line

Exit Command Prompt and restart the device

I hope these steps help resolve your issue. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind regards,
    Marrion
Thema:

1. Gaming Services failed with error code 0x8007007e. Gaming Services will not install. - Similar Threads - Gaming Services failed

2. Xbox Accessories App "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" when Elite S2...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Accessories App "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" when Elite S2...: When i try to configure my elite controller with the "xbox accessories" app, i get an error message saying "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" it tells me to log into the xbox app,...
  3. Failed to start cloud gaming session, you do not own this game or subscription service

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Failed to start cloud gaming session, you do not own this game or subscription service: Hello, I've been getting this error "Failed to start cloud gaming session, you do not own this game or subscription service" yet I have gamepass Ultimate and have had it for years. it will let me...
  4. Gaming services failed with error code 0x80080005

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gaming services failed with error code 0x80080005: I have tried reinstalling the xbox app did not work, Reinstalling the gaming services app and that's about it. 9afc3894-efd1-430b-a53f-4e289e862895
  5. Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005: Hi I get the "Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005" error message in the xbox app and then I can't reinstall Microsoft Flight Simulator. I have tried reinstalling Gaming Services...
  6. Gaming services failed with error code 0x8007007e

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming services failed with error code 0x8007007e: I’m running Xbox App for PC on Win 10 Pro System, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060Ti. Every time I want to install a game from game pass for PC the Xbox App installs gaming services new just to...
  7. How to resolve on PC: "Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005 "

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to resolve on PC: "Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005 ": All of the sudden xbox app on Windows 11 has stopped allowing us to play any games citing the above error code that I cannot seem to find anywhere. I have tried repairing, resetting, and...
  8. Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming Services failed with error code: 0x80080005: I have tried tons of options including restarting, PowerShell inputs, uninstalling Xbox app and reinstalling, etc. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of this error so that I...
  9. How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e?: I'm unable to install games on the xbox app on PC (windows 10). "Gaming services failed with error code: 0x8007007e." I've tried everything listed on the support page and nothing has fixed the...
  10. Xbox app in pc doesn't work: Gaming services failed with error code 0x80080005. Help please!

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app in pc doesn't work: Gaming services failed with error code 0x80080005. Help please!: I had to reinstall windows 11 and ever since I've had issue with Xbox app. I've reinstalled the app several items. Updated from store etc. But still having the issue. Please advise...