Gaming Services and App Installer prevent me from downloading/playing games on the Xbox App...

Discus and support Gaming Services and App Installer prevent me from downloading/playing games on the Xbox App... in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; My Xbox App on PC does not allow me to install any games or to play games already installed. Any time I try it tells me that Gaming Services and App... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Griffin CANAUS, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Gaming Services and App Installer prevent me from downloading/playing games on the Xbox App...

My Xbox App on PC does not allow me to install any games or to play games already installed. Any time I try it tells me that Gaming Services and App Installer are required, and it gives me a prompt to install them. When I install them, I get a notification from the Microsoft store that they have been downloaded, but in the Xbox app they are still listed as "missing" and "installing." I have restarted, updated, uninstalled and reinstalled the Xbox app, the microsoft store app, and Windows multiple times and nothing makes a difference. Please advise.

:)

Griffin CANAUS, Aug 1, 2023
  2. TimB101 Win User

Gaming Services and App Installer prevent me from downloading/playing games on the Xbox App on PC

Hi Griffin C,

I'm Tim, an Independent Consultant here and a Microsoft user like you. I don't work for Microsoft and do not have access to any of your data on their system.

I apologise for the inconvenience you're facing with the Xbox App on PC.

This issue with Gaming Services and App Installer could be caused by various factors. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try below:-

1. Check Windows Updates: Make sure your Windows OS is up-to-date. Some Xbox App functionalities may require specific Windows updates.

2. Reset Microsoft Store: Try resetting the Microsoft Store app by following these steps:
    - Press the Windows key + R, type "wsreset" (without quotes), and press Enter.
    - This will reset the Microsoft Store cache and may help resolve installation issues.

3. Reset Xbox App: Reset the Xbox App to its default settings:
    - Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
    - Go to Apps > Apps & features.
    - Search for "Xbox," click on the Xbox App, and select Advanced options.
    - Click the "Reset" button to reset the app.

4. Re-register Microsoft Store Apps: Open PowerShell as an administrator (right-click the Start button, select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"), and run the following command:
    ```
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_. InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    ```

5. Check Antivirus/Firewall: Temporarily disable any third-party antivirus or firewall software and try installing Gaming Services and App Installer again.

6. Use Local Account: If you are using a Microsoft Account, try creating a local account on your PC and see if the issue persists when using the Xbox App with the local account.

Remember to reboot your PC after trying each step to ensure changes take effect.

I hope this information helps. If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to assist you further or If you find it helpful, you can mark this comment as the answer.

Kind regards

Tim
  3. ChickenJoe9680 Win User

PC Xbox App not installing games from Game Pass Ultimate

Hi,

Thanks for your time. I tried the steps and unfortunately it hasn't helped yet. I did see in the Gaming Services page of the Windows Store that a lot of other users are also having similar issues, though it all starts differently. My son tried to install Minecraft Dungeons, and it seems the accompanying Minecraft Launcher is related to the underlying issue, despite never successfully installing.

Since using the command you shared, the Xbox app says it is installing Gaming Services. In the system Notifications tray, it says that the Gaming Services app has been installed, but the Xbox app still doesn't work. In fact, it's now worse since reinstalling Gaming Services; the Installed list for games is empty, and the download queue section is entirely broken, with a message that it is checking for updates.

I did find where the Xbox app is attempting to install games, and tried backing up the folder and then deleting it. Upon restoring it, though, the Xbox app remains unchanged. The last thing I did was try to reset Gaming Services, but the option in Apps is grayed out and unavailable. That's the end of my know-how.

Long and short of it -- the app states Gaming Services is installing, but there seems to be some kind of issue preventing it from registering to the Xbox app that this has happened. Games can be played directly from Start, but not the Xbox app.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Palworld unsupported 16 bit

I had downloaded files on external harddisk from another computer and then copied files to xbox games in C drive....
    This is likely the reason why. PC games on the Xbox App have additional protections that prevents files being used from a different install of the game on another computer. If you want to play this on your PC, you need to download the game from the Xbox App directly to your PC.
  5. ThisGameIsSucky Win User

microsoft store

There are no reported Xbox Live service outages that could prevent you from purchasing and downloading games and other content from the Microsoft Store as per the Xbox Live Status page. https://beta.support.xbox.com/xbox-live-status

Is there any chance you could be a little more specific about the nature of the issue? I would recommend checking out the 'game or app installation' troubleshooter, and hopefully you can cross reference your issues with it and find a solution there. https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/...game-or-app-installation-problems-on-xbox-one
  6. Farscape247 Win User

Xbox app can't install paid games on ARM devices

you get that error because gaming services is not installed or updated, gaming services can only install and launch on standard pc architecture and not arm based devices.

the xbox app requires gaming services to be installed to be able to download most xbox app games (gamepass games).
Thema:

Gaming Services and App Installer prevent me from downloading/playing games on the Xbox App...

1. Gaming Services and App Installer prevent me from downloading/playing games on the Xbox App... - Similar Threads - Gaming Services App

2. pc xbox app stuck launching and can't remove gaming services

in XBoX on Windows
    pc xbox app stuck launching and can't remove gaming services: this has been a problem on my laptop for a very long time now. I have tried to fix the xbox app stuck launching bug by removing gaming services and reinstalling it through powershell as some...
  3. Xbox Accessories App "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" when Elite S2...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Accessories App "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" when Elite S2...: When i try to configure my elite controller with the "xbox accessories" app, i get an error message saying "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" it tells me to log into the xbox app,...
  4. Cannot get Xbox app or gaming services to work

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Cannot get Xbox app or gaming services to work: For a while now I've had an issue where i could not install anything from the xbox app due to gaming services. Now the xbox app no longer launches and is stuck loading until the app crashes....
  5. Xbox gaming services breaks Xbox App/Game Bar

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox gaming services breaks Xbox App/Game Bar: Hi, for weeks now i've been having the issue that the Xbox App is stuck on the logo and can't log into Xbox in the Game Bar. I have tried every solution i could find on the Internet, including...
  6. Wo Long Fallen Dynasty in PC GamePass on Windows 11 the Gaming Services app pops up in...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Wo Long Fallen Dynasty in PC GamePass on Windows 11 the Gaming Services app pops up in...: Every time I try to launch Wo Long Fallen Dynasty in PC GamePass on Windows 11 the Gaming Services app pops up in Microsoft Store, and then I immediately get an error. One of these pops up:...
  7. Xbox app and game services is entirly broken

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app and game services is entirly broken: I have tried EVERYTHING your "technicians" say to do, and not a thing has worked, doing the old Get package command, does not work, i cant even uninstall game services to reinstall it, I SHOULDNT...
  8. Windows 11 Xbox game pass app tells me i need to install xbox game pass services and then...

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows 11 Xbox game pass app tells me i need to install xbox game pass services and then...: I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it but now i cant install the game pass app. 669f409c-1ffc-4924-b160-961a33b673d9
  9. Xbox app asks me to constantly re-install game services and doesn't detect installed games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app asks me to constantly re-install game services and doesn't detect installed games: Xbox app keeps constantly re-downloading Game Services and doesn't detect my installed games. I tried eliminating gaming services and the xbox app through commands and reinstalling, as this was...
  10. Gaming Services/other apps not installing on Microsoft Store

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming Services/other apps not installing on Microsoft Store: I have an HP All-In-One 24 with Windows 11. I was trying to download Roblox from the Microsoft store, and it would not download, it would start, and then a minute later say there was some error...