Gamepass games only work when installed on C drive

Discus and support Gamepass games only work when installed on C drive in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; As the title says, when installed to my two other drives, d and e, the games will sometimes start and run before shutting down instantly. Or they won't... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by TheOnePowerhaus, Nov 16, 2023.

1. Gamepass games only work when installed on C drive

As the title says, when installed to my two other drives, d and e, the games will sometimes start and run before shutting down instantly. Or they won't start at all, giving the message, "(game) can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected". Games installed through any other service like Steam or Epic have no problem.

:)

TheOnePowerhaus, Nov 16, 2023
  2. Tomm_A Win User

Hello TheOnePowerhaus,

We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com)

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello TheOnePowerhaus,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It appears that you are experiencing launching games through the Xbox app when games are installed on a different drive. Let us help you get to the bottom of this.

The reason why you may get an error when trying to launch games installed in different drives because Xbox app is built differently. Games must be installed to drives formatted as an NTFS volume with a 4K cluster size. Install attempts to any other volume type will not be supported.

If you install games to an external drive and the drive becomes unavailable or disconnected, you may run into some issues when you next try to install a game to that drive.

If the external drive was set as the default drive, you’ll see a new default drive in the Settings section of the Xbox app. In order to change your default location, you’ll need to do the following:

1. Select your profile picture in the Xbox app and then Settings.
    2. Under Installation options, select the dropdown labeled Change where this app installs games by default and change the folder to the desired install location.
    You may also notice that your games no longer appear in My Library or the Xbox app side bar when the installation drive becomes disconnected or unavailable. Reconnecting the drive will result in those games showing back up in My Library and the side bar. Reconnecting your drive will also resolve any launch errors when trying to launch installed games from desktop shortcuts for games installed on a drive that has become disconnected or unavailable.

Note If you still see issues after reconnecting the drive, be sure to restart the Xbox app if needed and restart your PC as a last step.

For your reference, see: Game installation issues on PC | Xbox Support

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

4. Kingbigjon Win User

Game Pass Games Not Working

This only happens with games I have downloaded via the gamepass, and it's not just arkane games, I have also tried Rage 2 and My Friend Pedro and it didn't help. And everything to do with the gamepass is on the C drive, though when I used to play games on gamepass it didn't matter what drive it was on, it just worked. This solution also didn't fix it.
  5. Sober999 Win User

Game files dissapear

None of that fixes the problem.

The solution is this: Game ONLY works if installed on C: drive !!!
  6. Farscape247 Win User

Game won't start.

you have installed it to the C: drive, that will use about 145GB of space, do you have enough space on the C: drive, also if you access the folder and take ownership of the folder it is in then it will break the encryption and the game will not run.

microsoft installed the gamepass and store games into an encrypted folder which you cannot access.
Thema:

1. Gamepass games only work when installed on C drive - Similar Threads - Gamepass games installed

2. Gamepass games that I never asked to install in my new laptop keep on reinstalling

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gamepass games that I never asked to install in my new laptop keep on reinstalling: I have a new Windows 11 laptop which I use alongside my other Windows machines. When I took the new laptop into use, Xbox app or Windows Store gradually installed it full of PC games that I do not...
  3. Stupid gamepass wont let me install a game..

in XBoX Accessibility
    Stupid gamepass wont let me install a game..: Fed up with all the issues only to now end up with a new one that makes NO sense. I turn 40 in 2 months and yet Conan exiles on xbox gamepass on PC is telling me my mommy and daddy have to...
  4. Installed Gamepass games on PC taking forever to launch (not launching)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Installed Gamepass games on PC taking forever to launch (not launching): Gamepass games that I installed on my laptop aren't getting past launch loading screen. Left one loading for 15 minutes and the game didn't launch. Using 2019 Macbook Pro running Windows 11 via...
  5. Installation of Gamepass games stuck at 50%

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Installation of Gamepass games stuck at 50%: Payday 3 aswell as cities skylines 3 downloads are stuck at 50%. Everytime, ive tries reinstalling multiple times already and even reinstalled windows two times. I noticed after buying the...
  6. Xbox gamepass on PC unable to install Starfield game after complete download error code...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox gamepass on PC unable to install Starfield game after complete download error code...: On PC with updated win11, nvidia drivers, Win Security is green. Xbox app installs game (Starfield) after downloading all 121GB, then it stops "Something unexpected happened" error code...
  7. Cannot install or run gamepass games across 4 different devices.

in XBoX on Windows
    Cannot install or run gamepass games across 4 different devices.: Hi I have an 2 PCs, an Xbox One X, and just today have bought and Xbox Series X. I am having seemingly related problems across all devices. On both the xboxes the Microsoft store app takes a...
  8. No gamepass games will install through the Xbox app on PC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    No gamepass games will install through the Xbox app on PC: I having been trying for days to get games to install with no success from the Xbox app. I recently installed and SSD and installed Halo Infinite, Solasta and Gears Tactics with no problems. Now...
  9. I can't install game on Gamepass Ultimate on the PC or update games.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't install game on Gamepass Ultimate on the PC or update games.: I can stream them. What is wrong I havetried all advised steps. ee90efac-d459-4a48-8f38-3bf67b0cf026
  10. GamePass Games Will Not Install Error Code: 0x80070490

in XBoX on Windows
    GamePass Games Will Not Install Error Code: 0x80070490: As per title. Have tried lots of online suggestions from full power recycle, sfcscannow, dism, reinstall app, install on different drive, clear cache, delete xbox app data folders, clear store...