Game won't install, can't pause or cancel, and many other issues with Xbox app and...

Discus and support Game won't install, can't pause or cancel, and many other issues with Xbox app and... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I attempted to install Stardew Valley, however, when I tried, it got to 5.2mb and then stopped downloading, 0mb/s. I tried pausing it to see what would... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Woodsy12LA, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Woodsy12LA
    Woodsy12LA Guest

Game won't install, can't pause or cancel, and many other issues with Xbox app and...

I attempted to install Stardew Valley, however, when I tried, it got to 5.2mb and then stopped downloading, 0mb/s. I tried pausing it to see what would happen, but when I tried, it just said 'pausing' indefinitely, until I closed Xbox. When I went back in, it said it was downloading again. I tried canceling it, but when I tried that it simply said 'canceling' indefinitely, until I closed out. I have tried just about everything to fix this. I've tried restarting my PC, logging out and back into both Xbox and the MS store, going into settings and repairing/resetting both, but nothing. I've tried a clean boot, but it doesn't fix the issue, so it's a problem with Xbox/MS store itself. I've tried scanning and fixing corrupt files with powershell, but nothing still. I eventually did manage to get stardew valley to appear as not downloading, but none of my games show up. Whenever I restart my computer, it goes back to saying that Stardew is "downoading". Also, I can no longer play any of my Xbox games, like Forza or Deep Rock Galactic (which is a shame, because at this point I'm very burnt out and exhausted and would quite enjoy either of these games). It says I don't have gaming services installed/updated (even though I'm fairly sure I do). I'm guessing that somewhere along the line, I likely messed gaming services up. So, I tried installing/updating it, but in the MS store, it says it's downloaded and up to date. So I decided to try to uninstall, then reinstall, which for some reason is incredibly bloody difficult. I stopped GamingServicesNet in task manager, but it wouldn't let me stop GamingServices (despite having full admin perms). I deleted both GamingServices and GamingServicesNet in the registry editor. When I go into the MS store, it says gaming services is already downloading, but pending (odd, as nothing else is downloading). I try fixing it by using wsreset.exe in run, but nothing changes. I also try going into settings and resetting/repairing it. Somehow, I think I screwed up very, very badly. Xbox app thinks that I don't even have MS store installed, and in my queue, it says that the Microsoft Store is also pending. I am not an expert, but I'm fairly sure that I can't even uninstall MS store, much less install it, using Microsoft store itself. I've been having these issues and desperately attempting to fix them for days, and I would really like to get back to playing things again, but I've tried everything I can. Any assistance is highly appreciated.

:)

Woodsy12LA, Jun 10, 2023
  2. CarTzy Win User

Game won't install, can't pause or cancel, and many other issues with Xbox app and Microsoft Store.

Hello Woodsy12LA,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

According to what you have said, even after trying every possible troubleshooting measure to fix the problem, you are still unable to download Stardew Valley. System file corruption, an excessive number of background processes, or, as you indicated, a problem with the gaming services might all be the root of this problem.

Please let me know if these extra troubleshooting procedures will help in our attempt to resolve the problem.

Reset your network connection by following the troubleshooting steps found on the link below:

Fix Wi-Fi connection issues in Windows - Microsoft Support

Run the system file checker tool to fix corrupted or missing system files.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files - Microsoft Support

Run your PC on clean boot to make sure that there are no other apps running on the background.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support

Other tip is to make sure to disable startup programs.

Open task manager, go to the startup tab, disable startup applications.

If you are running third party software for performance enhancements, antimalware or antivirus. Disable them.

Once you have perform all of the steps, we can now perform the troubleshooting steps below to fix Xbox App for PC.

Restart your deviceAs basic as this is, a simple restart can set many things right.

Make sure Windows is up to date
    1. Press the Start button on the taskbar, type settings, and then select Settings.
    2. On Windows 10, select Update & Security. On Windows 11, select Windows Update.
    3. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates to see if any updates are available for your device.
    4. Once the updates have downloaded, select Install now to start the installation.
    5. Following installation, we recommend that you restart your device so that the latest updates can take effect.
    For more info, go to:

Windows Update

Update your Windows and device driversFor the best game performance, make sure your system’s video card drivers (or display adapter drivers) are up to date. Drivers are available on the support website for your computer manufacturer, or if your computer system is custom built, on the video card manufacturer’s support website. Updating video card drivers can resolve game crashes, improve frame rates, and improve overall game performance.

Make sure both the Xbox and Gaming Services apps are up to date
    1. Press the Start button on the taskbar, type store, and open the Microsoft Store app.
    2. Select Library.
    3. Under Updates & downloads, check if there are any updates available for the Xbox app or Gaming Services app. If an update is available, select Update.

Make sure you’re signed in to the Xbox app and the Store with the same accountWhen you open the Xbox app on your device, be sure you sign in to the app using your own Xbox account. You may also need to be signed in to the Store (xbox.com) in order to play a purchased game.

To make sure your permissions for the game can be validated, be sure to sign in to both the Store and the Xbox app using the same account that was used to purchase the game.

For help with signing in, go to:

Sign in to Xbox

Having trouble installing EA Play games from the Xbox app for Windows?Try closing both the Xbox app and the EA app, and then relaunch the Xbox app.

Remove and reinstall Gaming ServicesReinstall the Gaming Services app on your Windows 10/11 device:

1. Select the Search icon on the taskbar, type powershell, right-click on Windows PowerShell, and then select Run as administrator.
    2. In Windows PowerShell, type the following command and press Enter:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
    3. In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
    4. Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.
    5. Restart your device and try to install the game again.
    Source: Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows | Xbox Support

We're looking forward to hearing from you. If there are any inquiries about our description or if there are any misconceptions, do reply to the post.
  3. CarTzy Win User

Game won't install, can't pause or cancel, and many other issues with Xbox app and Microsoft Store.

Hello!

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume that your issue has already been resolved. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Microsoft Community.

[​IMG]

Thank you for understanding.
  4. CarTzy Win User

Hello Woodsy12LA,

Thanks for letting me know my prior solution didn’t fix the issue.

I do have some further strategies to try:

-Giving you PC a fresh start, Please note that if this is the only game that you having issues installing, it would be more beneficial that we reach out with the game developer first.

-But if all of the games that you tried to install is having issues then proceed with the Fresh start.

(Note that fresh start will remove apps installed and settings, I suggest for you to back up all important files before proceeding) Backup and Restore in Windows - Microsoft Support

Please see the guide here: Give your PC a Fresh Start - Microsoft Support
  5. Misses Joust Win User

Kinect sports rivals stuck at 0% install and won't delete or cancel

G'day Bangem! That's a bit of a strange issue. What happens when you try to cancel the installation? When you highlight the game in My Games and Apps and press the Menu button, there should be options to Pause or Cancel the download/install. Are you hit
    with an error? Do those options not appear?
  6. HHFGames Win User

PC Game Pass not working

this has still not resolved my issue. I followed your steps and the download still says 0b/s. It still can't be paused or cancelled and I can't launch any games through the xbox app because of it. Is there anything else I could do to try and solve my issue?
Thema:

1. Game won't install, can't pause or cancel, and many other issues with Xbox app and... - Similar Threads - Game won't install

2. Xbox One won't play ANY of newly installed games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One won't play ANY of newly installed games: I got my daughter an Xbox One and she did everything she normally did with the last one. Everything was going fine. Got games installed. Then it won't actually PLAY ANY OF THE GAMES. Tried...
  3. Why won't any of my games update after install to be able to play?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why won't any of my games update after install to be able to play?: I just got the Xbox x series, my first game worked like a charm, so I bought 4 more games (discs). I can get them installed but before I can play them from the disc I have to update them but none...
  4. I want to install games on my (D:) drive but the Xbox app won't let me select it. What can...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I want to install games on my (D:) drive but the Xbox app won't let me select it. What can...: I've been trying to install games on the (D:) drive through the Xbox app but when I try to, it doesn't let me select it and defaults back to the (C:) drive. Does anyone know why it's doing this?...
  5. my game was install won't launch after windows update

in XBoX Games and Apps
    my game was install won't launch after windows update: hello, I have problem with my game that I have install from steam after launch windows update. Before windows update, i play that game like normal. then after windows update, it can't launch. I...
  6. Game won't install, says it's "corrupt"

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game won't install, says it's "corrupt": A few days ago, Fortnite had an update. It kept saying "Installation stopped" when I tried to update it, which confused me. I decided to uninstall the game and delete the data knowing that it was...
  7. Gaming services won't install in microsoft store . What should i do?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming services won't install in microsoft store . What should i do?: I am on windows 11 and i have been trying to install xbox Gaming services in the microsoft store app and on the xbox app so i could download minecraft but it keeps giving me Error Code:...
  8. Xbox game pass on PC won't install Warhammer 40K: Darktide, stuck at 40%. Can't pause the...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox game pass on PC won't install Warhammer 40K: Darktide, stuck at 40%. Can't pause the...: I have seen this post regarding many games in general none coming to a resolution so i am hoping to get to one. I have updated Windows as of today 12 October 2023. I have updated Xbox app and...
  9. My Series S won't update Microsoft Store or install new games.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Series S won't update Microsoft Store or install new games.: So i was having a glitch of not being able to update Microsoft Store, so I factory reset my console, first with keeping my games and apps, then, with delete everything but now I can't install...
  10. Game Installation Won't Go Past Certain Percentage

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game Installation Won't Go Past Certain Percentage: So I've spent the past few days trying to install NBA 2k24 Next Gen on my series s. However the download simply cannot go past 32.02 gb (19.8%) no matter what I do. I originally got the game...