Game updating issues, slowed/stopped progress (Xbox Series X)

Discus and support Game updating issues, slowed/stopped progress (Xbox Series X) in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I've got a Series X and I live in a rural area with poor/limited internet so downloads typically take several hours for large files (I use ethernet for... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by nosaj100, Nov 24, 2023.

1. nosaj100
    nosaj100 Guest

I've got a Series X and I live in a rural area with poor/limited internet so downloads typically take several hours for large files (I use ethernet for best connection because of it). Recently I tried getting an update for Halo Infinite (23 G) but it stopped after 150Mb. The progress bar would switch to a message showing "finishing things up, 17% completed" and switch back to "150Mb of 23G". It never downloads beyond that point though it'll occasionally add 2Mb. When I check the bandwidth usage tab, its still pulling bandwidth like its downloading but there's no progress. Every other app works fine. I can browse the internet, downloaded an App (PlutoTV) and it downloaded just fine and streams fine too. The issue seems to be strictly related to games.

I tried downloading an update for another game, same issue. This time it got up to 50Mb before stopping and showing the same message as before. To further see what the issue might be, I connected to my mobile hotspot to see if the game updates will download and they WILL download via the hotspot, but I don't want to download them this way because I have data limits on the hotspot. So is there some kind of random and odd internet problem going on? I've tried a couple of things like power cycling the console and clearing the mac addresses (seen it recommended), but the issue still remains. Any ideas what's up?

:)

nosaj100, Nov 24, 2023
  2. nosaj100 Win User

It shouldn't be a speed issue because while its slow compared to most, I've downloaded plenty of updates in the past with no issue. And I can still download apps and watch streaming services on the Series X as well. The issue is strictly related to downloading game updates for whatever reason and it seems to have started after the most recent System Update. I don't know if that Xbox System update has messed something up or if its just coincidence timing wise. If there's not anything I can try on the Xbox side of things, is there anything specific I need to tell my ISP about the issue? Just want to make sure I'm aware of everything before I contact them because in researching this issue, I've seen people with similar problems contact their ISP, their ISP says everything is fine, Xbox says its fine, and they just get stuck in a loop going back and forth with the issue never being resolved (at least they never post about what fixed it).
  3. Yanyannnn Win User

Hello nosaj100!

Thank you for your reply.

Thank you for following the troubleshooting steps I've outlined.

I would love to double check your account here further so that I can pinpoint the issue behind this. However, we do not have that option here on our end.
    I highly suggest you contact our dedicated Xbox support team so that they can double check your account. You can contact them through this link https://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us. When you are on the page, you can see an option to contact them via chat and via phone call.

When you contact your ISP, just tell them that you are having trouble on completing your downloads and if it is possible for them to double check your internet connection.

Hope this helps.

YanYannn
    Microsoft Community Moderator
  4. Yanyannnn Win User

Hello nosaj100,

Thank you for your contribution to the Microsoft community.

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are experiencing issues with game updates on your Xbox Series X. Based on the information you have provided, it seems that the issue is related to your internet connection since you tried the same thing on your other games.

Since you have mentioned that you live in a rural area with poor/limited internet, it is possible that your internet connection is not stable enough to support large downloads. This could be the reason why your game updates are slowing down or stopping altogether.

To troubleshoot this issue, I would recommend trying the following steps:

1. Check your internet connection speed: You can use the Xbox network settings to check your internet connection speed. If your internet speed is slow, you may need to contact your internet service provider to see if there are any issues with your connection.

2. Clear the cache on your Xbox: Clearing the cache on your Xbox can help to resolve issues with game updates. To do this, go to Settings > System > Storage > Clear local saved games.

3. Try a wired connection: If you are using a wireless connection, try using a wired connection instead. This can help to improve the stability of your internet connection.

4. Restart your router: Restarting your router can help to resolve issues with your internet connection. Unplug your router from the power source, wait for 30 seconds, and then plug it back in.

If the following steps doesn't seem to work on your end it would the best if you contact your internet service provider so that they can double check and fortify your connection.

I hope this helps!

Microsoft Community Moderator
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

3.0 2Tb Seagate HDD comparability

Hi,

Your drive will work the same on Series X as it does on Xbox One and you won't need to format it.

However, Series X games or Xbox One games with Series X enhancements will not run from that drive and will either need to be installed internally or to an external SSD designed for Series X/S.

Your hard drive will be too slow for Series X games. They can be stored there, but not run from there.
  6. Antone E nb1 Win User

My Xbox one isn't installing when off

I am having the same issue with my Xbox series X. It seems to stop all downloads when in standby using instant-on. Wondering if this might require an update to fix?
Thema:

1. Game updating issues, slowed/stopped progress (Xbox Series X) - Similar Threads - Game updating issues

2. How do I fix updating issue for both disc and digital games

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I fix updating issue for both disc and digital games: Earlier I was trying to play rdr2 then the game said it needed an update so I clicked update then it said installation cancelled tired to do it agian same thing. So I then restart the xbox which...
  3. How do I fix issues with game updates and being unable to login to my account after...

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I fix issues with game updates and being unable to login to my account after...: My Xbox One console isn't working properly. First I tried to complete an update on EAFC24 which was 3.5GB and it kept freezing and updating for a second or two at a time then freezing for another...
  4. Microsoft Ultimate Word Games app update issue

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft Ultimate Word Games app update issue: Today, I received an update for the Game. Afterwards the game would not load. I then restored my PC back earlier and then in Microsoft Store app turned off updates. Microsoft you screwed up...
  5. Forced console update mid-game? Still an issue after so many years!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Forced console update mid-game? Still an issue after so many years!!: I have seen so many complaints about this and I have encountered this too many times. Was doing basic training in Gotham Knights (doing the checklist) and in the middle of performing this I got a...
  6. Xbox Series X Game Update Issue

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Series X Game Update Issue: Everytime I have to update a game, the download will not start unless I restart the conosle. And then the whole game is being donwloaded again. I have to wait 3 to 5 hours everytime an update...
  7. Issue with the new Dashboard; updated with the latest beta release and now the game art...

in XboX Insiders
    Issue with the new Dashboard; updated with the latest beta release and now the game art...: Like the title says, after the Beta update yesterday, the game art doesn't change when cycling through games, I tried resetting the background to default but still can't get it to work. Possible...
  8. Issue with downloading and updating games

in XboX Insiders
    Issue with downloading and updating games: Hello all, I just got off a support chat with someone from the community that told me to post this issue in here so I apologize if this is the wrong area but Janice V has asked me to post here. I...
  9. I have a big issue with updating and downloading games

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have a big issue with updating and downloading games: I noticed that when I update a game it starts off good but then my mbps starts dropping by a lot and it stop my update and download and a error pops up the error code is (0x87e00005) when i press...
  10. cannot download new games on Xbox after update and issue error

in XBoX on Consoles
    cannot download new games on Xbox after update and issue error: We downloaded call of duty modern warfare and then got a system error so we did the steps as suggested on Xbox troubleshooting by unplugging with clicking the eject button and the other left...