Game streaming resolution when TV is off or on different input

Discus and support Game streaming resolution when TV is off or on different input in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I just started trying out the game streaming a couple weeks ago. I noticed that the video quality was pretty bad even on the very high setting. Today... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by howardtopher, Aug 20, 2016.

1. howardtopher
    howardtopher Guest

I just started trying out the game streaming a couple weeks ago. I noticed that the video quality was pretty bad even on the very high setting. Today I had some time to fool with it. Turns out that it's streaming in 640x480. However, if I turn the TV
    on and put it on the Xbox One input, the streaming immediately jumps to 1920x1080. Even if the TV is turned on, if I change to another input, the resolution drops again.

Usually if I'm streaming, it's because my wife is watching TV. Unfortunately this means I have to stream in 640x480, which honestly looks terrible.

Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this? It appears the Xbox doesn't know what resolution to use unless the TV is on and set to the proper input, which defeats the purpose of being able to stream games to another room.

:)

howardtopher, Aug 20, 2016
  2. M3tal Daz3
    M3tal Daz3 Guest
    Flashing green scrren on Xbox one x

From experience some tvs will flash green when the resolution is changed on an input. This is normal behavior of the tvs when swapping resolutions

M3tal Daz3, Aug 20, 2016
  3. WPAK
    WPAK Guest
    problem in connect my NEW xbox to tv with HDMI cable

Do you have any settings (via the menu) on the TV that might be able to setup the resolution of the TV when the console is turned on?

There are TV's that can switch the resolution based on the input

4. Magistrar
    Magistrar Guest

Tried to set up game streaming today, and encountered this same problem. Is there a workaround other than turning on the TV where the xbox is connected? I would think this is a pretty common use case for xbox one streaming.

Magistrar, Mar 21, 2018
  5. Magistrar
    Magistrar Guest
    Here's some additional details for Microsoft. I am using two xbox ones and a windows 10 pc:

- an original model xbox one connected to a 1080p tv and a wireless AC network connection

- an xbox one S connected to a 4K tv and wired networking

- windows 10 pc with a 1080p monitor and wired networking

Game streaming works perfectly to the original model xbox one with a wireless connection. From my windows 10 PC I can turn on the console, start streaming, and the resolution is great.

With the xbox one S though, even though I have a wired network connection to both the PC and that xbox, I will only be able to stream in 640x480 resolution unless I turn on the TV before I try to stream. I can also report that if I do turn on the TV first
    and begin streaming in 1080p, I can then turn off the TV without affecting my 1080p streaming until I turn the xbox off.

This appears to be a bug for our particular configuration, and it's not getting any attention from Microsoft because their streaming test cases are passing. It could be a difference of original model xbox vs. xbox one S, but I'm expecting it has something
    to do with the 4K display settings on the xbox, HDCP, and/or trying to stream to a lower resolution of 1080p.

Magistrar, Jul 3, 2018
  6. alxyar
    alxyar Guest
    I have no fix but I just wanted to let you know I have the same issue.

I hope this will be fixed - that streaming to PC is at higher resolution than 640x480 (or there are options to increase the res) without having to turn the TV on first.

Just of interest, I stumbled across this page via a google search and lost it and then struggled to re-find it so accessed it via my history.

It may be that this is not an important issue for most XB1 users but its certainly an issue that I hope will be remedied soon. Needs more attention and, as you say, this problem kind of defeats some of the objective of streaming.

alxyar, Nov 5, 2018
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: