Game Bar recording games in the wrong resolution

Discus and support Game Bar recording games in the wrong resolution in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Sometimes, when playing a game in full screen, I will use the Capture button on my Xbox controller or use Windows Key + G to open game bar and record a... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Andrew Evans6, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Game Bar recording games in the wrong resolution

Sometimes, when playing a game in full screen, I will use the Capture button on my Xbox controller or use Windows Key + G to open game bar and record a clip, but when I look at the clip afterwards, it has recorded like this. I linked to a screenshot uploaded to imgur because the screenshot would not upload properly here.

This only happens with some games, but I don't know why it happens or what triggers it. All of the games I've captured like this have had the same resolution as my laptop screen (1920 X 1080) and appear completely normal on my laptop screen. I've captured smaller resolution games (that have no full screen mode) in windowed mode with no issues. For some reason, trying to crop out the black bars with ClipChamp corrupts the file every time. (Edit: Trying to save the video over the original video with its original name corrupts it every time. ClipChamp autosaves a different version of the video to my downloads that isn't corrupted.) Camera app has no option to screen record. I don't know why it puts the game in a small box in the top left corner like that, I definitely don't see it like that when I'm playing on my laptop.

My laptop is running on Windows 11, and when I open the gaming tab with Windows Key + G and click on Settings, there is no "Capturing" tab in those settings. I can't find any capture resolution settings anywhere on Windows 11. Going to my laptop's Settings>Gaming>Captures has no resolution settings. Here is a screenshot of what my Game Bar Settings looks like.

How do I get the Game Bar to record my games in the proper resolution for the game so I can just use the capture button on my controller to record gameplay normally?

:)

Andrew Evans6, Mar 6, 2024
  2. Christopher Revoredo Win User

Xbox Game Bar captures recording at the wrong resolution and with a black outer layer.

Hi there Yelo welcome to the community forum! Christopher here, an Xbox fan just like you and has been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. On what settings do you have FH5?
  3. peterg44rwfrew Win User

How to change Xbox game bar resolution.

Hi josef,

Yeah as i said, im on windows 10. i can change my laptop resolution but this just means there is 2 huge black bars on the laptop itself. so ideally if i could record the game in my normal resolution, would be best, cheers
  4. EzequielNeves19 Win User

Is it possible to screen record Xbox party chat in the Xbox app?

Hello EthanSL
    My name is Ezequiel. I'm an Independent Consultant and I'm happy to help you today. Yes is possible.

While you're playing a game, press the Windows logo key + G to open Xbox Game Bar.
    Choose Widget Menu > Capture.
    Choose Start recording, Take screenshot, or Record last….
    Record last… turns the most recent moments of play into a game clip when background recording is turned on. Set the duration in Windows Settings > Gaming > Captures.
    Find your game clips and screenshots by opening Game Bar and selecting Widget Menu > Gallery.
    To set your resolution and upmarket everything to 4K:
    To capture game footage, make sure the Record in the background while I'm playing a game checkbox is selected in Game Bar settings (or turn it on in Windows Settings > Gaming > Captures).
    For some PC games, Game Bar won't appear in full screen mode. To start and stop recordings without Game Bar, use the keyboard shortcut Windows logo key + Alt + R. The screen will flash to indicate the start and end of recording. If background recording is on, Windows logo key + Alt + G will record the last moments of play.
    If the shortcuts don't work for a full-screen game, press the Windows logo key + G. The screen will flash twice to confirm that the game has been recognised. Then, re-open the game in full screen mode.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help...cialize/record-game-clips-game-bar-windows-10

If you have any other questions, please contact me and I'll be here to help.
  5. Kathy A. Win User

Something is wrong with the xbox game bar recording.

Hello hihi_008,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

We understand that you are trying to change the game resolution of the captures in your clip to full screen. Let us check on this together so you will get back to gaming.

We would like to ask for few questions to better isolate the issue. We will also provide troubleshooting that you can try below.

May we know in are you playing in Windows 10 or 11?

Is your PC, Microsoft Store and Xbox apps (Xbox app, Xbox Game Bar, Gaming Services and Xbox Accessories) updated?

Suggested troubleshooting:

Settings > Display > Display resolution - Would you mind checking what is your PC's resolution?

Launch Xbox app > go to Profile & System > Settings > Preferences > Capture & Shares > Capture settings - Kindly check or adjust resolution here.

Please, do not forget to check here for known issues that might be related to your concern.

Use Xbox Game Bar to capture game clips and screenshots on Windows | Xbox Support

Capture game clips and screenshots | Xbox Support

Xbox Status

Known Issues for Game Launches

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  6. Kathy A. Win User

Something is wrong with the xbox game bar recording.

Hello hihi_008,

Hope you are doing fine.

We would like to follow up your concern.

Kindly let us know if you are still having issue by posting a reply.

Kind regards,

Thema:

Game Bar recording games in the wrong resolution

1. Game Bar recording games in the wrong resolution - Similar Threads - Game Bar recording

2. Recording in game voice using game bar

in XboX Insiders
    Recording in game voice using game bar: Is it possible to make game bar only record my voice input when using in game voice chat, rather than recording all input ? submitted by /u/s3cy7 [link] [comments]
  3. Xbox game bar audio does not record my voice

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox game bar audio does not record my voice: I have an issue with my XBOX GAME BAR. When i record videos, my audio or (depends on the setting on xbox's own audio section) my friends' audio does not record. When I say "Game" it does not...
  4. XBOX game bar record issues, how to fix windows + alt + r not working at times

in XBoX on Windows
    XBOX game bar record issues, how to fix windows + alt + r not working at times: Lately my xbox game bar screen record hasnt been working good. I usually do window + alt + r to record the last minutes of game clips but lately it hasnt been doing it as consistently. The most i...
  5. game Bar does not record my microphone properly

in XBoX on Consoles
    game Bar does not record my microphone properly: When recording a game via Game Bar, my voice sounds somewhat broken on the clip. my mic works perfectly fine, and it only sounds broken on the recording. It is also only my mic audio, not the...
  6. Is there a way with Game Bar, to Record at a different resolution than the Desktop or Game...

in XBoX on Windows
    Is there a way with Game Bar, to Record at a different resolution than the Desktop or Game...: Just wondering how to capture in a different resolution than the Desktop/Default/Game is set at? For example, if your Desktop is set to 1920x1080, and the Game itself starts and runs at...
  7. Xbox Game Bar doesn’t record full screen video. There is black bars all around the gameplay...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox Game Bar doesn’t record full screen video. There is black bars all around the gameplay...: I'm using Xbox APP from my Laptop to remoe play from my Xbox Series X console. I make gameplay videos. After recording Hundred videos, I've noticed none of my videos are full screen. All videos...
  8. How do i get game bar capture to record my mic when it is set to record everything?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How do i get game bar capture to record my mic when it is set to record everything?: My game bar will record everything but my mic when it is set to record everything. When it is set to record the game and mic it will record the game and my mic. I have tried to repair and reset...
  9. My cursor is out of place when I record using the xbox gaming bar is there any way to fix that?

in XBoX on Windows
    My cursor is out of place when I record using the xbox gaming bar is there any way to fix that?: I’ve been using the xbox gaming bar for quite some time, but I can’t seem to find the place to change the video quality and when I record, my cursor always seems to be out of place. Like for...
  10. Xbox Game Bar will not record internal audio and mic simultaneously when using the 30...

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Game Bar will not record internal audio and mic simultaneously when using the 30...: When using the 30 second capture feature with capture audio recording set to All (game, enabled mic, apps, system), it does not record microphone audio. Note Game Bar's three options for...