Free-map mode: when all buttons are digital

Discus and support Free-map mode: when all buttons are digital in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; First of all I'd like to say the Xbox Adaptive app is really good with accepting digital buttons in analog ports like left trigger and right trigger.... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by TripleTopper321, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Free-map mode: when all buttons are digital

First of all I'd like to say the Xbox Adaptive app is really good with accepting digital buttons in analog ports like left trigger and right trigger. Basically the idea is that if you plug a digital button into the LT and RT it'll treat it as either 100% or 0. It does not enforce the analog nature of that button for that port to work on the Adaptive controller.

Now certain games may not work right if you have a digital controller and it's expecting an analog input. I don't know if I have many or even any games that would qualify as requiring an analog trigger in order to beat.

I understood why the accessories app won't let you map a trigger to a non-trigger or vice versa. You don't want to get into quality control issues about whether or not someone is cheating or digging themselves in an impossible hole to get out of when assigning a digital to an analog or vice versa.

Is it one of the reasons why Xbox took the lead on overriding game settings is because it's better for game setting issues to be handled in a centralized place like the system owners like Xbox and that's by individual publishers and studios. In other words it's easier for players to deal with one party the system maker Xbox then it is the deal with individual publishers and developers and if it's a frequent thing that needs to go on to multiple publishers and developers it would be just easier dealt with at the system level.

Maybe there should be a free map mode if you know the game will work with all digital buttons like most fighting games and other classic arcade games.

What you gain in the free map mode is if you're willing to say do not read these buttons analogly but read every button digitally then you have the ability to freely mix and match the mapping of triggers and non-triggers so that certain arrangements like the six Genesis arrangement would be possible on the Sega Genesis collection because currently it is impossible because the triggers are emulator fast forward and rewind and always cause a row of four in row of two staggering on most fight sticks that cannot be avoided.

The only way this works is if it is manually selectable by the player and a game is given a analog trigger necessity rating.

Obviously a green signal for necessity means that the developer and publisher confirm that all buttons are digital and it would be their pleasure to allow free mapping.

A red signal means that the publisher or developer has confirmed that the game will either be an imbalancing cheat, making it way too easy to be the game / achieve certain achievements, or the other extreme of making a game impossible to win without going back to analog triggers.

Any yellow signal means preferred but not hard enforced. The developers or publishers confirm that you are at a severe disadvantage if you don't have analog controls but it's not considered worth enforcing or anything like that.

So green means All Digital is okay yellow means you need analog but they're not enforcing it and red means they're enforcing analog requirements for that game.

As I said before the benefits of allowing All Digital mode is that suddenly every button is remappable to each and every other button instead of triggers just sticking with triggers and non-triggers sticking with non triggers.

As I understand I understand the reason why the current state exists and I think this would be a way to address the issue at a system level.

Also because the Adaptive controller does accept analog inputs for the left trigger and right trigger, I'm personally not affected by it much but other people might be or if I'm visiting someone else's house I might be.

:)

TripleTopper321, Jan 8, 2024
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema:

Free-map mode: when all buttons are digital