Forcing Users to Edit Registry to use Paid XBOX PC Gamepass Service?

Discus and support Forcing Users to Edit Registry to use Paid XBOX PC Gamepass Service? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I find it odd that, after paying $14.99 for the XBOX PC Gamepass - which theoretically allows one easy and quick access to a full library of top-tier... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by sbm128, Oct 23, 2020.

1. sbm128
    sbm128 Guest

I find it odd that, after paying $14.99 for the XBOX PC Gamepass - which theoretically allows one easy and quick access to a full library of top-tier game titles - that users are being forced to MANUALLY EDIT REGISTRY FILES - a potentially seriously damaging
    action that can render Windows or even hardware useless

While not every user is affected by this, there are currently 104 threads devoted to Error code 0x80070141 on the Microsoft forums alone, each of which have anywhere from a few to hundreds of people subscribed to the issue seeking help - FOR ONE ERROR CODE
    that has been an issue for some time now.

Not surprisingly, this error code is not found under
    Microsoft XBOX Trouble Shooting pages
    (miraculously, almost NONE of the MS error codes I've ever been passed have been found on Microsoft support site, for any product, for upwards of 20 years, but I digress), nor is a solution to this ongoing, known issue
    provided by Microsoft. Instead, a helpful - and thankfully well-meaning - individual has posted a fix, which involved editing your registry to remove pointers to a volume where you have designated Microsoft Apps to be installed. has to be done more or less
    every time you want to install a new product, which, while an inconvenience for myself at worst, is potentially putting non-tech-savvy users in a position where they may damage their computer to a point that it is unusable without professional help - for a
    service they PAID for - on an operating system they PAID for.

Microsoft seemingly doesn't feel the need to address the issue and get a fix out for it. For that matter, they don't even seem to want to acknowledge the issue at all, other than pinning the support post that contains a fix posted by a NON-MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE.
    Although this particular thread was started within the last 20 or so days, the issue/error code has been a known problem since as far back as 2016 - I would put this particular issue around November of 2019 to be fair, as that's the first I was able to find
    of the error code being linked to Microsoft App Volumes.

I feel that Micorosft is knowingly putting their users at risk or permanenetly damaging their personal computers and/or windows installations, and has been knowingly doing so for well over a year. Rather than attempt a fix themselves, they've relied on
    and profited off of a Reddit user to formualte a solution (a temporary one at best) for their "premium service", with barely an aknowneldgement to speak of. They certainly don't seem to mind taking the fees for this "premium service", essentially getting
    paid to expose their paying users to damaging their comp;uters.

THis is gross at best, negligent on average, and borderline criminal behavior Microsoft. Stop letting the community fix issues you have contrived, and stop collecting fees for services you are unwilling or unable to keep at a minimum standard of operation.
    Hell, at the very least, RESPOND TO USERS, or maybe try using error codes to diagnose problems rather then send users down a rabbit hole that leads to NOTHING. This is pathetic behavior, and it highlights the minimal effort Microsoft has been putting in for
    decades now when it comes to user support. I mean, they already got our money, **** are we gonna do?

Cancelling gamepass, not worth the minor headache alone, and I can't support a service that knowingly puts its paying users at risk anytime they want to simply install a product they've rightfully paid to use.

:)

sbm128, Oct 23, 2020
  2. [Farscape] Win User

I am yet to see this glitch but looks like it is very random but seems to stem from the last update mostly.

to say that the OS is paid for is a bit off a doozy as 80% of people got the OS for free,

why are you paying 14.99 for pc gamepass, it is cheaper for pc unless your using console too.
  3. TracyG Win User

Xbox Live Update Issue

Maybe this will help - looks like they have an obligation to not charge users if the contract is no longer in force:

You authorize us to charge you for the Service and for any paid feature of the Service that you or the user of any associated account choose to use
    while this contract is in force using your payment method.
  4. ngocphi Win User

Suggestion for Xbox

Umm you do know that's already on right?

Two different services remote play on phones or xcloud which is a paid service with no console needed via gamepass ultimate

On pc or mobile
  5. DoubleDust7498 Win User

Pagar Game Pass com cartão presente[Translation-Pay Game Pass with gift card]

Hi Brad, i like your help, but i dont have xbox one, i use gamepass on my PC, and i want to paid with the valor i put in gift card ( 50 R$ )

What i need to pay the gamepass using the giftcard?
  6. Tucson.Don Win User

I get "Sorry we can't sign you in. Try signing in at xbox.com then start this app again".

I was having the same issue. When you uninstall the game and reinstall, Microsoft uses the same bad information in the registry to install the file again.

Here's the solution:

Open the registry and find #gamename# and delete the key. Then repeat find (F3).

This will take some time. If you find keys that will not let you delete them, it's because there's another user that has the game installed. You must login that user and edit the registry again deleting all the keys with the #gamename#.

My #gamename# was taptiles
Thema:

1. Forcing Users to Edit Registry to use Paid XBOX PC Gamepass Service? - Similar Threads - Forcing Users Edit

2. Headset chat mixer forcing party priority

in XBoX on Windows
    Headset chat mixer forcing party priority: When I’m on my home or playing a game my game audio is not on, and when I check my audio settings it shows the bar for the mixer grayed out and all the way for party chat. I’ve tried restarting my...
  3. PC Xbox app stopped showing party invites. Forcing us to use Windows Game Bar?

in XboX Insiders
    PC Xbox app stopped showing party invites. Forcing us to use Windows Game Bar?: The kids and I have been using the Xbox app across three PCs for voice chat for Minecraft for a few years. It stopped working recently, but in my efforts to troubleshoot it, I found all the fixes...
  4. Xbox Android App still forces you to use Phone Microphone and not headset microphone

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Xbox Android App still forces you to use Phone Microphone and not headset microphone: I'm trying to join a party on my phone so I can play on my PlayStation while talking with my friends on Xbox (they refuse to set up discord integration.). However, the Android App will not allow...
  5. Microsoft sidewinder force feedback wheel driver

in XBoX on Windows
    Microsoft sidewinder force feedback wheel driver: Hi microsoft sidewinder force feedback steering set does it have drivers compatible with windows 11? I know it is very old but it still works in computer games, I need a driver to test the...
  6. Xbox apps force close

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox apps force close: Hello, today i buy xbox game pass and i download xbox app to download the game, but everytime i run xbox app, it appeared xbox logo but after that force close everytime i run it, i tried to fix it...
  7. Why do games like MW3 force an update which takes forever?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do games like MW3 force an update which takes forever?: Its 2024 and bandwidth is a solved problem. Why am I paying subscription fees and over $100 to play a game that doesn't have modern reliability. MW3 updates at least once a month and more or less...
  8. Driving force shifter

in XBoX on Consoles
    Driving force shifter: I just bought a new G920 wheel and pedals with a driving force shifter for my XBOX series X and the shifter does not work with forza horizon 4. I want to ask if there are any games that are...
  9. Changed password creates security alert that forces me to change my password again in a loop

in XBoX on Windows
    Changed password creates security alert that forces me to change my password again in a loop: I have changed my password because I forgot the last one, now when I log in with the new password it says "We detected unusual activity on your MS account ... we believe your credentials are at...
  10. Monster Hunter Rise character missing, forcing new game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Monster Hunter Rise character missing, forcing new game: I hit MR 140, downed Risen Teostra, and called it for the night. (Have game clip of it). 2 days later, I go to play, and all I have is "New Game" on the main menu. Save data on the Xbox...