Family accounts parental controls not behaving as they are supposed to

Discus and support Family accounts parental controls not behaving as they are supposed to in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; For about the last month or so one of my children's accounts on my xbox one has been randomly asking for approval for her to play a game. This... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by RustyDawg37, Aug 11, 2016.

1. RustyDawg37
    RustyDawg37 Guest

For about the last month or so one of my children's accounts on my xbox one has been randomly asking for approval for her to play a game. This approval has been asked for every game she has tried playing. Before anyone semi-flames, no I am not trying to
    let her play GTA 5 or even cod. Each time it happens I click to allow the game always. Alas the same game will require permission again. So this is not working. Do not know currently if it is an account issue, system issue, or live issue. Any clues out
    there? Extra info-her account was set up with custom permissions to allow gaming but not much else in the past and the account has been active for about 2 years without issue.

:)

RustyDawg37, Aug 11, 2016
  2. Wade Dorrell
    Wade Dorrell Guest
    Removing parental control over a Gold Family member

As I suspected, the "Remove From Family" option at http://live.xbox.com/en-US/familycenter removed her from Gold, reverted her account to Free, and yes she is out from under parental control, but she doesn't have Gold anymore. The "Remove From Subscription"
    option removed her from Gold, but not parental control and not the view of the "family" in the Family Center. There does not appear to be a configuration where her account can be Gold (secondary account under Gold Family Pack) and not under parental control.
    Is this correct? Xbox Support... please clarify. If this is supposed to be possible let me know... I could be in an unusual configuration... and I'll follow up on a more appropriate channel. As I said earlier, http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-live/how-to/family-pack/managing-family-members.aspx
    indicates this is a possible state. Wade

Wade Dorrell, Aug 11, 2016
  3. Miss Ermine
    Miss Ermine Guest
    XBox live on Halo 4 - network status is locked on" Party Only"

Hi there! The issues with not being able to play with other party members sounds very much like some family settings on the console. If you have a child account or are part of a Family Plan, you will need to have the Guardian/Primary account holder change
    those security settings. There's more info on it here: Xbox Parental Control | Xbox Family Settings.

Miss Ermine, Aug 11, 2016
  4. Family accounts parental controls not behaving as they are supposed to

Hey there RustyDawg37,

When would you say this issue started? Have you made any recent changes to the account in question? Are you in the Xbox One Preview Program as well?

You might try to remove the account from the console and then redownload it to see if that helps out. Try also toggling the settings around and see if that has any effect.

Let us know how it goes!

Mister Mascot, Aug 12, 2016
  5. RustyDawg37
    RustyDawg37 Guest
    I have never changed any family settings since the first week I had my xbox one, roughly 2 years ago. I am in the preview program if this matters. I do not feel that changing settings that are already not working would be a great idea. I won't touch them
    unless someone tells me EXACTLY what the problem is. I will try the delete and redownload and see if that works and post back. Also, new weird thing, today when trying to purchase something it said I need parental permission. I am the original account, the
    parent, and was the only one logged in at the time.

RustyDawg37, Aug 31, 2016
  6. EctoWolf
    EctoWolf Guest
    Hi Rusty!

here! I'm an Xbox Ambassador and a frequent gamer. If you have not spoke with Xbox customer service yet, you may want to. Sometimes the symptoms you are seeing could indicate what is called an "orphaned" account, which is when a child account has
    become detached from a parent account. Its a rare situation, but could explain some of what you are seeing. If it has become detached, its a relatively easy fix. While I cannot be sure this is the issue, a call to the awesome folks in Xbox Accounts and Billing
    should resolve it fairly quickly for you!

Their number is 1-800-469-9269. Xbox Customer service is open Mon-Friday, 9AM until 1AM EST and Saturday and Sunday from 10AM EST to 7PM EST. There isn't a way to tell from the customer side if your daughter's account has been orphaned but a billing agent
    can certainly see it very quickly. I hope this helps and good luck!

EctoWolf, Oct 31, 2018
  7. Mister Mascot Win User

Hey there RustyDawg37,

When would you say this issue started? Have you made any recent changes to the account in question? Are you in the Xbox One Preview Program as well?

You might try to remove the account from the console and then redownload it to see if that helps out. Try also toggling the settings around and see if that has any effect.

Let us know how it goes!
  8. EctoWolf Win User

Hi Rusty!

here! I'm an Xbox Ambassador and a frequent gamer. If you have not spoke with Xbox customer service yet, you may want to. Sometimes the symptoms you are seeing could indicate what is called an "orphaned" account, which is when a child account has
    become detached from a parent account. Its a rare situation, but could explain some of what you are seeing. If it has become detached, its a relatively easy fix. While I cannot be sure this is the issue, a call to the awesome folks in Xbox Accounts and Billing
    should resolve it fairly quickly for you!

Their number is 1-800-469-9269. Xbox Customer service is open Mon-Friday, 9AM until 1AM EST and Saturday and Sunday from 10AM EST to 7PM EST. There isn't a way to tell from the customer side if your daughter's account has been orphaned but a billing agent
    can certainly see it very quickly. I hope this helps and good luck!
  9. RustyDawg37 Win User

I have never changed any family settings since the first week I had my xbox one, roughly 2 years ago. I am in the preview program if this matters. I do not feel that changing settings that are already not working would be a great idea. I won't touch them
    unless someone tells me EXACTLY what the problem is. I will try the delete and redownload and see if that works and post back. Also, new weird thing, today when trying to purchase something it said I need parental permission. I am the original account, the
    parent, and was the only one logged in at the time.
  10. Wade Dorrell Win User

Removing parental control over a Gold Family member

As I suspected, the "Remove From Family" option at http://live.xbox.com/en-US/familycenter removed her from Gold, reverted her account to Free, and yes she is out from under parental control, but she doesn't have Gold anymore. The "Remove From Subscription"
    option removed her from Gold, but not parental control and not the view of the "family" in the Family Center. There does not appear to be a configuration where her account can be Gold (secondary account under Gold Family Pack) and not under parental control.
    Is this correct? Xbox Support... please clarify. If this is supposed to be possible let me know... I could be in an unusual configuration... and I'll follow up on a more appropriate channel. As I said earlier, http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-live/how-to/family-pack/managing-family-members.aspx
    indicates this is a possible state. Wade
  11. Farscape247 Win User

Help - I can't find a friend and I'm tearing what little is left of my hair out

it will be down to the parental controls. will need the parent in charge of the account to log into the xbox family safety and change the setup.
Thema:

1. Family accounts parental controls not behaving as they are supposed to - Similar Threads - Family accounts parental

2. If I remove my son from the family account so he doesn’t have any restrictions will this...

in XBoX Accessibility
    If I remove my son from the family account so he doesn’t have any restrictions will this...: My son is in our family account but I want to remove him as he keeps getting messages that he needs to ask for my permission to use chrome ??? If I remove him can he still use our Xbox account...
  3. Code was redeemed to wrong account in Xbox family

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Code was redeemed to wrong account in Xbox family: Can I transfer it to the correct person? 28e1523d-a20a-4314-8af9-fd1018ae6b88
  4. Issues with family account adding second child profile

in XBoX Accessibility
    Issues with family account adding second child profile: How do you add a second child to the family profile. I created the second child email account and now it states the child is already a part of the family but I do not see them on the family and...
  5. Xbox Family Safety owned a organizer saved member, this happens " This is a teen account. "

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox Family Safety owned a organizer saved member, this happens " This is a teen account. ": Save adult organizers in Microsoft Family Safety. Is saved member but it's happened [img] Have problems To change this setting, have a parent sign in on console or web Need Tutorial...
  6. Issue with family account spending web page.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Issue with family account spending web page.: The page for spending options for my childs account won't work. I've tried to access this web page from several different devices and it shows an error. I need to change settings for the account...
  7. Unable to remove a kid from account to transfer to another family froup.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to remove a kid from account to transfer to another family froup.: I am unable to transfer a child account from my wifes account, to my account. It says child is unable to remove from the family and gives an error code. Also, unable to add her to my account...
  8. Trying to install Minecraft on a MacOS with a Microsoft family account

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Trying to install Minecraft on a MacOS with a Microsoft family account: So I'm trying to get Minecraft on MacOs, but since I am a child in a Microsoft family I have to ask for permission. The E-mail has been responded to and the request has been accepted but all I get...
  9. the Hunter: Call of the Wild - New DLCs not shared across family accounts

in XBoX Games and Apps
    the Hunter: Call of the Wild - New DLCs not shared across family accounts: We have been playing the Hunter: Call of the Wild for a few years. In the past we have purchased all DLCs for the game on Account A. The Player would log in on account A then if my son or I were...
  10. Do I need to remove my sons account from family?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Do I need to remove my sons account from family?: Hi I bought a new Xbox X and have set it to my home with my account which has Xbox ultimate. My son uses my old Xbox one and has been using my ultimate pass to play games. I am aware this cant...