Extremely Slow Download Speeds on PC Xbox App

Discus and support Extremely Slow Download Speeds on PC Xbox App in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I recently got Game Pass and have been trying to install some games. The download speeds are absolutely horrendous on this app. It fluctuates between... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Pharros, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Pharros
    Pharros Guest

I recently got Game Pass and have been trying to install some games. The download speeds are absolutely horrendous on this app. It fluctuates between 300-900 KB/s on a 400+ Mb/s connection. Every other app or download source has much more reliable download speeds (Steam gets 35 MB/s, for example). I've seen hundreds of posts about users having the same issue going back 3 years. I've tried their troubleshooting and fixes such as Delivery Optimization settings, Group Policy edits, and MS Store downloads (outdated as option is no longer there), but nothing has worked. The fact this has yet to be resolved by a leading corporation trying to sell such a service is just so ridiculous...

:)

Pharros, Jan 5, 2022
  2. KenS1129 Win User

I don’t know why Microsoft isn’t fixing this. It’s in their best interest to make downloads as fast as they can be. On Xbox, the same titles download for me at 600+ Mbps. On PC: 15 Mbps if I’m lucky. On the same connection. I assume that the CDN is the same for both, so I can only chalk this up to very poor Windows native TCP settings - unless Microsoft is trying to throttle these.
    It's like Xbox users get priority bandwidth and pc users get the scraps that are left over.
  3. FinessedYoB Win User

This works perfectly! Thanks so much!
  4. RickM_80 Win User

Hello,

I appreciate the response. I tried all of the above except the last step of Resetting the app and none of those helped. I then did the Reset and Repair of the app and that seems to have helped a little. It is still slow as it fluctuates from 1-3 MB/s, but at least it's better than the initial speed. Oddly enough, it will have a split moment of jumping to 10 MB/s, then suddenly drops down to ~500 KB/s. If you have any other additional options please let me know as it can still take a whole day to download a game at this rate. Thanks.
    Hello Pharros,

Thank you for the update. We recommend that you make sure that your computer is completely updated, including all optional updates. If you are not doing so already, please try connecting your PC to your modem/router with an ethernet cable and attempting the downloads again. We also recommend fully shutting your PC down, then unplugging your modem/router for at least 60 seconds to clear any potential blockages on your end before attempting more installations.

May we know, have you performed a speed test for your internet? Is it running as expected, or is it slower than usual? If it is slower than expected, have you contacted your internet service provider?

Also, please keep in mind that the time in which you attempt your downloads may matter. If you are trying to download a game at a popular time, your downloads may slow due to many people also trying to download games from our servers simultaneously. Have you tried starting the download late at night to potentially avoid Xbox server traffic?

We look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

XBF – Evie

Xbox Customer Success Manager

Microsoft Community

Yeah I've been reading these post and trying everything for weeks now and come to the conclusion that windows 10 had the best download speed through the microsoft store. As soon as I did the upgrade and had to use the xbox app on PC to download my games (wow) it is a joke.
  5. Spaceman Calvin Win User

I think what the issue here is is... Microsoft/Xbox are deliberately throttaling download speeds and just not admitting it. You cannot convince me that they are that ignorent so as not to be able to figure this out!!!! just come out and say why, dont have all us poor saps wondering what is wrong with our systems!
    Even worse in my case. I see delivery optimization using 30+mb/s when I'm downloading an update in the Xbox app, but mysteriously my download only gets 3mb/s. I've basically caught MS red-handed actively using 90% of my connection for something else.

Unfortunately my auto-tuning level is "normal" so this fix did not work for me.

Paused:
    [​IMG]

Downloading:
    [​IMG]
  6. Jrone1995 Win User

I had locations off, I turned on locations and paused then resumed download, it went from 9MB/S to 50, So I have mock location on for my general area and its still working (You will need to Refresh mock location every now and then). It needs to know what server to connect to for faster downloads. I checked PowerShell too, but mine was already on correct settings. I'm on windows 11
Thema:

1. Extremely Slow Download Speeds on PC Xbox App - Similar Threads - Extremely Slow Download

2. My Xbox is extremly slow

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox is extremly slow: A few weeks ago I bought an Xbox One S. The seller has already told me that it won't start. When it arrived, I tried it straight away. It actually turned on, but it only comes on sometimes and...
  3. Xbox Game Bar won't open and Microsoft apps all being extremely slow.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Game Bar won't open and Microsoft apps all being extremely slow.: This problem started around a couple of weeks ago and I haven't found anything about it online since. I'm running a very beefy PC which uses Windows 11 and all of the Microsoft apps used to work...
  4. My latency is extremely high in I’m trying to fix it

in XBoX on Consoles
    My latency is extremely high in I’m trying to fix it: I’m trying to get my latency to drop bro it’s not working for some reason f121275a-60c0-4280-91ae-a514021a76a1
  5. Extremely Slow Download speeds

in XBoX on Consoles
    Extremely Slow Download speeds: I have a Xbox series s and out of the blue It started having incredibly slow download speeds. I have already tested the ports and checked the internet speeds and even factory reset my Xbox. It...
  6. Xbox One extremely slow download

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One extremely slow download: For about a year now, I noticed my xbox one has taken significantly longer to download game updates than it has in the past. To remedy that, I turned on automatic updates while the xbox is in...
  7. I cleared cache but my xbox is still running extremely slow and crashing, as well as not...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I cleared cache but my xbox is still running extremely slow and crashing, as well as not...: This has been happening for the past week, and it’s been getting on my nerves. My xbox has been running so slow that it can’t even load the settings app and when it does and I leave, the xbox just...
  8. Xbox 1 s extremely slow for no reason after recent update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 1 s extremely slow for no reason after recent update: So I haven't touched my Xbox 1 S in 2 years due to having next Gen console. I recently set it up from a factory reset and now it's extremely slow. I've done multiple factory resets and none of...
  9. Series X Download speeds extremely slow

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X Download speeds extremely slow: [img] [img] This is a comparison between a network speed test and then trying to download an update for a game. These were taken back to back, how can the download speed be so poor when I’ve got...
  10. Extremely Slow Download Speeds on PC Xbox App and only get half of my speed

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Extremely Slow Download Speeds on PC Xbox App and only get half of my speed: I tried everything on this forum https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/extremely-slow-download-speeds-on-pc-xbox-app/fc348776-9a67-42ef-a737-e3710fa874b8 but nothing works. My...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xbox pc app slow download 2022